When to change tips os S&S?

dvdkndy

You assumed correctly, and I understand the idiom perfectly well. The parentheses were to indicate that I was directly quoting you. Sorry, don't have the time or interest to do a nifty little animation to make a point.

So based on your statement, on the last day of a cruise, but for the "autotips", I should expect to face an onslaught of dishwashers and laundry people asking for tips? Will I be dealing with the dishwasher rep and the laundry rep, etc, to whom I "personally" hand $1/day, or will I be dealing with all the individual dishwashers and laundry people, and what's the appropriate tip to give to each of them?

The simple fact is, the cruise lines have lowered (or not increased) the direct wages they pay. They offer lower fares as a result. This "auto gratuity" is not a tip, but rather a service charge to make up for that. It has the benefit to the customer of lowering the overall government taxes you pay on your fare. I think in the real world, if I remove my daily service charges, the behind the scenes crew are not going to be there with their hands out, they're simply getting stiffed because I'm cheap.

Sorry about that. It's a pretty common phrase around here.

As for those who are being tipped they just "show-up". It's not like they form a line.

Bad part is getting money changed to fill the envelopes. LONG lines at the purser.

It's much better this way but somewhat impersonal.

You assumed correctly, and I understand the idiom perfectly well. The parentheses were to indicate that I was directly quoting you. Sorry, don't have the time or interest to do a nifty little animation to make a point.

So based on your statement, on the last day of a cruise, but for the "autotips", I should expect to face an onslaught of dishwashers and laundry people asking for tips? Will I be dealing with the dishwasher rep and the laundry rep, etc, to whom I "personally" hand $1/day, or will I be dealing with all the individual dishwashers and laundry people, and what's the appropriate tip to give to each of them?

The simple fact is, the cruise lines have lowered (or not increased) the direct wages they pay. They offer lower fares as a result. This "auto gratuity" is not a tip, but rather a service charge to make up for that. It has the benefit to the customer of lowering the overall government taxes you pay on your fare. I think in the real world, if I remove my daily service charges, the behind the scenes crew are not going to be there with their hands out, they're simply getting stiffed because I'm cheap.

The price whether high or low has nothing to do with the taxes.

They are fixed and it doesn't matter if you have an inside cabin or a sweet you still pay the same amount.

Bill

:cool: Years ago back in '92 my first cruise on the Fantasy, we had no idea how tipping worked:o Yes this was before the internet!!!:eek: We ate at the MDR and tipped on the 1st two nights!! Someone on our table said thats not how it's done, you wait until the last night to tip with the envelopes they give you, well guess what? the dining room was half full!!!! I guess everyone was chasing down those who needed tips!! :eek: So it took 10 years til my next cruise and they now have "auto tips" I wonder why??? :rolleyes:All the cheapo's bailing out!!!!!:mad:

I am a firm believer of tipping those who help you directly. I would rather give my server and my room steward cash for everyday things like cleaning the room and serving dinner. I do not feel obligated to tip others that I never see and would rather tip my face to face people more than what they get through my auto tips. I know some of you may do it differently and I respect that. However, this is my choice and I ask you to respect it as well. Having said that, when is the best time to get the auto tips removed from your account? Embarkation day or wait until the last night?

I found that asking your room steward for help in removing his tips... or asking the head waiter for help is the best way to go. They can get it processed lickity split.

This is just horrible. How selffish. What about the behind the scenes people who work hard for you. You never see them, but they work their ***off for you. How very disrespectful. I hope you are never in a position to depend on tips for most of your salary....or maybe you should be. If you can't go by the guidelines...then maybe cruising isn't for you. Shame on you!!!

I found that asking your room steward for help in removing his tips... or asking the head waiter for help is the best way to go. They can get it processed lickity split.
Good idea! I have also found that asking TSA airport officers how to smuggle liquids aboard is helpful. Y R welcome to try it.;)

I have been on here a while and I have never seen this addressed--why do the room stewards have to clean your room 2x day? If they didnt make them do that 2x each day, maybe they dont have to work 14 hour days.

I dont like them coming in 2x each day--They are always knocking on the door to come in when we are still in there. I actually dont need them to come in at all during the cruise_IMO--All I want is a switch out of towels and some ice. My mom goes with us and stays in room by herself, she makes zero mess, and feels the same way.

We are going on the Breeze in Jan-have 3 rooms all together-I think this time we are just going to tell the room steward to bring us the towels and ice--no need for anything else. Whether that will make their day easier or not, I am not sure. I wonder if they have some "requirement" to do anything else, even if we dont want anything else done.

I have been on here a while and I have never seen this addressed--why do the room stewards have to clean your room 2x day? If they didnt make them do that 2x each day, maybe they dont have to work 14 hour days.

I dont like them coming in 2x each day--They are always knocking on the door to come in when we are still in there. I actually dont need them to come in at all during the cruise_IMO--All I want is a switch out of towels and some ice. My mom goes with us and stays in room by herself, she makes zero mess, and feels the same way.

We are going on the Breeze in Jan-have 3 rooms all together-I think this time we are just going to tell the room steward to bring us the towels and ice--no need for anything else. Whether that will make their day easier or not, I am not sure. I wonder if they have some "requirement" to do anything else, even if we dont want anything else done.

Well, I don't know about you, but we go back to the cabin most days and take a nap. And another shower. I like that I can come back later and have a nice clean, cabin!

She asked me to look up the definition what would you have done oh wise one?

Nothing. I learned long ago you will never change anyones mind in a tipping thread. It is the same as talking politics, abortion, parenting, or the death penalty. These threads are just horse beating entertainment to see who can be the craftiness, snarkiest poster.

Nothing. I learned long ago you will never change anyones mind in a tipping thread. It is the same as talking politics, abortion, parenting, or the death penalty. These threads are just horse beating entertainment to see who can be the craftiness, snarkiest poster.

So you just drop by to stir the pot? And on the other topics death to all politicians, abortionists, and parents who take their kids out of school to go on cruises.:rolleyes:

:cool: Years ago back in '92 my first cruise on the Fantasy, we had no idea how tipping worked:o Yes this was before the internet!!!:eek: We ate at the MDR and tipped on the 1st two nights!! Someone on our table said thats not how it's done, you wait until the last night to tip with the envelopes they give you, well guess what? the dining room was half full!!!! I guess everyone was chasing down those who needed tips!! :eek: So it took 10 years til my next cruise and they now have "auto tips" I wonder why??? :rolleyes:All the cheapo's bailing out!!!!!:mad:

This is exactly why auto tips were instituted. The dining room was always partly empty on the last night because the skinflints were trying to avoid tipping. I'm sure the stewards had the same problem when they went to clean the rooms after the pax left: no tips. These are the people who now play sea lawyer and write their screeds on here about how auto tipping is unfair and how they would rather tip their servers in person. Of course they'd rather tip them in person: they tip them just like they used to tip them before auto tips. That is, they tip nothing.

This is exactly why auto tips were instituted. The dining room was always partly empty on the last night because the skinflints were trying to avoid tipping. I'm sure the stewards had the same problem when they went to clean the rooms after the pax left: no tips. These are the people who now play sea lawyer and write their screeds on here about how auto tipping is unfair and how they would rather tip their servers in person. Of course they'd rather tip them in person: they tip them just like they used to tip them before auto tips. That is, they tip nothing.

actually, half filled mdr's on tip night only started when the lines began offering alternative dining on tip night. before that you had to starve on tip night unless you were bold enough to eat and then just walk out.

Well, I don't know about you, but we go back to the cabin most days and take a nap. And another shower. I like that I can come back later and have a nice clean, cabin!

I realize some people may like that, personally, i dont like it. I dont like the door being knocked on while we are in the cabin, and I dont like my stuff being moved around.

I really just prefer (as do the other people with us), to just have clean towels and ice--I guess we will just request that on our Jan Breeze cruise and see if it is possible.

I realize some people may like that, personally, i dont like it. I dont like the door being knocked on while we are in the cabin, and I dont like my stuff being moved around. .

Uh, no I really like S&%t fixed, cleaned and made look nice... you see the majority of the time I (and a lot like me) and my wife rarely have time/energy/(did I mention time)/etc. to do what the stewards do... VERY big part of my cruise experience:D

Uh, no I really like S&%t fixed, cleaned and made look nice... you see the majority of the time I (and a lot like me) and my wife rarely have time/energy/(did I mention time)/etc. to do what the stewards do... VERY big part of my cruise experience:D

You must stay in the cabin a lot. The cruise we just came back from the store only not one time and that was the first day to introduce himself.

Other times he just waited until we left.

Bill

Boy what are you doing in that room:):) Ours usually looks nice when we leave it for the day--we dont really make a mess--my moms looks like she never even uses it--she makes her bed back to the original state each morning too.

Just was curious if anyone had just asked the steward to basically leave them alone

You must stay in the cabin a lot. The cruise we just came back from the store only not one time and that was the first day to introduce himself.

Other times he just waited until we left.

Bill

I think you may have been addressing my concern with your response--its not that we stay in the room alot--i dont like to get up early on my vacation.

We are usually stirring around 9-10am. Once I am up, we are out of the room till about 5 or 6--to take a nap--which is inevitably when the steward knocks again--assuming we are going to MDR--we really dont eat in MDR, except 1-2 nights on a 7 day. Will eat my way through the buffet, deli or burger place all day long:):) And supplement that with the ice cream--my six year old gets a years supply of ice cream in those 6-7 days:):)

Who cares what the heck it is called by Carnival or any other line? People sure are having a good time playing word lawyer. No matter the name, it is still something the passenger pays. Shame on the cheapos who don't.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

well said

actually, half filled mdr's on tip night only started when the lines began offering alternative dining on tip night. before that you had to starve on tip night unless you were bold enough to eat and then just walk out.

Carnival has had a buffet option at dinner for at least twenty years, starting aboard the first Fantasy class ships. As soon as the buffet became an option, then the penny-squeezers went there instead of the main dining room on the last night at sea. I surmise that before the buffet, the really cheap ones simply didn't eat on the last night, as would be their wont to save a few pennies.

Carnival has had a buffet option at dinner for at least twenty years, starting aboard the first Fantasy class ships. As soon as the buffet became an option, then the penny-squeezers went there instead of the main dining room on the last night at sea. I surmise that before the buffet, the really cheap ones simply didn't eat on the last night, as would be their wont to save a few pennies.

i don't think it's that long, but it was always closed on tip night.

till sometime around the turn of the millenium.

Boy what are you doing in that room:):) Ours usually looks nice when we leave it for the day--we dont really make a mess--my moms looks like she never even uses it--she makes her bed back to the original state each morning too.

Just was curious if anyone had just asked the steward to basically leave them alone

Not a big mess but it still looks brand new, or used to. Now it's about twice a day they come in.

As for being left alone they can't do it completely... In the past people have basically trashed a room and no one knew it until the last day. So now the steward is the eyes/ears for where no cameras are allowed. Almost everywhere else (except bathrooms) on the ship there are cameras watching. They will "leave" you alone but will be in the cabin.

I think you may have been addressing my concern with your response--its not that we stay in the room alot--i dont like to get up early on my vacation.

We are usually stirring around 9-10am. Once I am up, we are out of the room till about 5 or 6--to take a nap--which is inevitably when the steward knocks again--assuming we are going to MDR--we really dont eat in MDR, except 1-2 nights on a 7 day. Will eat my way through the buffet, deli or burger place all day long:):) And supplement that with the ice cream--my six year old gets a years supply of ice cream in those 6-7 days:):)

You know those little tags that say "Snoozin" or "Cruisin" that Carnival leaves in your room? They work well. If you are in your cabin and don't want to be bothered, put the "Snoozin" one on. When you leave, put "Cruisin". The only knocks on the door we've ever gotten were from people we went on the cruise with or room service. I've even said that I think the stewards have cameras in the hallway - they know when we leave the room. There have been times we've left the room, been gone maybe half an hour, and I go back to the room to get something - and it's all clean! I have no problem with my room getting cleaned 2-3 times a day! I wish I could take one of the stewards home!

I am a firm believer of tipping those who help you directly. I would rather give my server and my room steward cash for everyday things like cleaning the room and serving dinner. I do not feel obligated to tip others that I never see and would rather tip my face to face people more than what they get through my auto tips. I know some of you may do it differently and I respect that. However, this is my choice and I ask you to respect it as well. Having said that, when is the best time to get the auto tips removed from your account? Embarkation day or wait until the last night?

To answer your question, wait until they show up on your account. I'm not sure when that is but probably by day two. I would not wait til the last night.

Archived