Can you purchase OBC?

Well... The very simple reason is that my employer pays for my Internet Package, since I must be in contact with the office while I am out.

Obviously, I can't take the company AMEX with me.

I know to some it may not seem as if it's not really a vacation, if I have to stay in touch. However, when this agreement comes with a 6 week a year vacation, it pays. :D

I understand that. But you can also do the same thing by just giving them cash either at the port, or handing it over at the customer service desk once boarded. It's the "giving them the money in advance" that I never fully understand.

But, I think it's part of the cruising culture. After all, there is no other vacation where I have to pay the balance well BEFORE the trip. I travel all over the place, and every other type of travel is pay deposit in advance, balance is due on check out.

Not necessarily. We do lots of land vacations in addition to cruising and we always have to pay our resorts in the Caribbean before we go. Not for a hotel when we go somewhere in Tampa or something, but many times to get the best price you have to prepay.

Doesn't bother me at all, I like having as much paid for upfront as possible. We do MTD so we always prepay our tips, but even if we did not, I would still prepay them, then it is done, going to pay the anyway, so might as well pay them right away.

OK, I wouldn't have a problem with a cruise line getting my money up front but the government is another story. They're not getting a penny more than I owe.:cool:;):D

I am with you! I don't want a refund from the government. I like it when the end of the year comes and I don't owe them any more than $400-$500, then I have figured I calculated the amount right. Never want the government to have any of my money before I have to:D

Even using OBC, they can still try to overcharge you.

On our first cruise, we put OBC on each person's account to stay within a budget. Everything my DH or I bought was charged double ... once to his card and once to mine.

Our sons were in another cabin and one of them they never overcharged, the other they had all kinds of charges that weren't his. We were at guest services every single day straightening it out. The next day, it was the same thing all over again.

They would give me balance of my sons' charges, but could never provide a print out/itemized list on the one they were overcharging. It seemed to be phantom charges.

It was literally a month post-cruise before all the financials were straightened out. I hope we don't run into the same problem this time.

I understand that. But you can also do the same thing by just giving them cash either at the port, or handing it over at the customer service desk once boarded. It's the "giving them the money in advance" that I never fully understand.

But, I think it's part of the cruising culture. After all, there is no other vacation where I have to pay the balance well BEFORE the trip. I travel all over the place, and every other type of travel is pay deposit in advance, balance is due on check out.

Because if it hard for you to save money, if you preload OBC $200.00 1 month before the trip,Then its gaurenteed. For people who have a hard time putting money to the side for such,that $200.00 my be spent before trip.

yes you can. I also do this rather than link my cc as well as it stops me from over spending. I like to have a budget when I'm on vacation so I just buy credits for my alloted budget. You can only charge 499.00 max on one card so if you want more than that you will have to charge the credits to a different card.

This isn't true, we were on Rhapsody in June and spent way more than $499 and the charged it to the same card with no problems at all.

This isn't true, we were on Rhapsody in June and spent way more than $499 and the charged it to the same card with no problems at all.

I think the OP means that you can only buy up to 499.00 of OBC from Gifts and Gear on one card. :) Im pretty sure thats correct too.

This ^

I should have read your post first. You said exactly what I said LOL! :)

Hey, no worries! It drives home the point when more than one person says the exact same thing! :D Not everyone has a credit card with a $10,000 limit or receive hundreds in OBC from their travel agents. ;)

...I like having as much paid for upfront as possible.

Which is another reason I buy OBC for myself. I have already paid in full (and not on a credit card, which I don't have anyway) the cruise, the airfare, the hotel, the drink package, the tips, alternative dining options, and now I have pre-paid for all of my on board expenses to the level I am comfortable with. And I have never exceeded my OBC in purchases because I know my spending habits, don't impulse-buy 'stuff', don't do shore excursions, and rarely if ever buy anything ashore in ports of call. Most of my entire vacation is paid for in full and in advance before I ever get in the car to drive to the airport. Once I get to the ship I can completely relax (in my very own style) and not worry about a thing.

Archived