Enjoy cruising but looking at All Inclusive Resorts

Lovetwocruz2009

Besides our trip to the DR in May, we have also done several AI's in Cancun and a couple in the Bahamas. Our favorite in Cancun was Adventura Palace. I prefer the Dominican Republic to Cancun. Our kids are grown so we prefer the Adults only option. Me & 5 of my girlfriends did an AI to Cancun several years ago. Someone should have done a little checking because the AI resort that was chosen ended up being a swingers resort in Cancun. Oh that was an experience we will never forget. It took us a day or 2 to realize what we had gotten ourselves into, but it wasn't too bad and we did end up having a great time. They had a section that was called the Quiet Pool as oppsed to the other side that was called the Sexy Pool. Duh, the pool situtation should have been our first clue. 8 years later we still kid each other about that trip.

I see a lot of recommendations for adults only. What about good family ones? We have three kids ages 10-16. Thanks.

Our kids/grandkids have been to the Moon Palace in Cancun a couple of times and had a good time. The grandkids (same age as your kids) loved it.

I see a lot of recommendations for adults only. What about good family ones? We have three kids ages 10-16. Thanks.

One reason we stopped doing AI's was the fact that our kids "aged out" of kid's pricing. When they went for free, or 1/2 price, it was a good value for our family of 4. Once they began getting charged as adults (some AI's charge adult prices for those 12+, but most 16+) we found cruising much cheaper- even with getting 2 balcony cabins. Just be warned - most AI's will make you get 2 rooms for 5 people... If you want a really good family AI, and don't mind the prices (think Disney level pricing) look into Beaches. The one in Grand Turk is amazing!!

DH and I went to an AI resort a few years ago in the Dominican Republic and the resort was called the Grand Ventana. We had a terrific time! February the weather was perfect. There were lots of kids there, but we did go during February break. We would love to go again, but as some others have said, it can be pricey. For the cost of one of us to go to an AI resort, all 4 of us can go on a 7 day cruise with Carnival. So, our money is being spent on cruises until we win the lottery or otherwise have a gain in income.

DH and I went to an AI resort a few years ago in the Dominican Republic. We had a terrific time! February the weather was perfect. We would love to go again, but as some others have said, it can be pricey. For the cost of one of us to go to an AI resort, all 4 of us can go on a 7 day cruise with Carnival. So, our money is being spent on cruises until we win the lottery or otherwise have a gain in income.

Be sure and check the Political climate before visiting.

There was a bit of nasty business happening last time we were there.

We squeeked by and got out of there but it was dicey for awhile.

Hi,

Husband and I have been cruising faithfully for the past 12 years. On our last cruise on the Liberty, we thought about trying something new next year. We enjoyed our cruise in July but it seemed like something was missing. Maybe cruising is too familiar now? I know I sound kinda crazy.

Anyway, can anyone recommend a great AI resort in the Caribeean. We enjoy the beach, snorkeling and fine dining. We like a party atmosphere but not too crazy. We are in our early 40s. We don't have any children.

Thanks in advance for your time.

We've been to the Royal in Playa Del Carmen. It was wonderful there; but not a huge beach which was a bit disappointing. There was more emphasis on the pool area which was a great party and was fun. The food there was good; by nightime not much entertainment. We did Couples Swept Away in Negril and the beach there was picture perfect. We did snorkeling, a catamaran booze cruise, and hoby cats; mainly a lot of time spent on the beach and pool relaxing and drinking. Food was good too with a couple restaurants really good ; dancing at night and a piano bar. I think the service there was really good. Overall, I liked Couples better. Also, I love Jamaica as much as you hear bad about it; it is stunningly beautiful and there is truly no need to leave the resort!

I know what you mean about loving cruising and also thinking AI's. They both have their good points. :) To me, I think the relaxing factor is bigger at an AI. On the ship, we are always doing something or going somewhere.; it's more of a hurry up game. But I know that's not everyone's experience. Our bar tab on the ship is usually huge but I still think it is a bit more expensive to do an AI unless you find a good time and deal which is possible.

Good luck on your decision; can't go wrong on either! Heck, it's a v a c a t i o n with ocean and booze and your love! :D

We are going back to the Royal Suites Turquesa in Punta Cana DR this winter for the 3rd year. Beautiful place, gorgeous beach, lobster every night on the menu, adults only and part of huge resort that if it gets too quiet you can go to other more lively areas.

For us, much less expensive to go there for 2 weeks than do an 8 day cruise and spend a couple of days beforehand in FLL when you factor everything in.

This is our balcony we had last year (we booked a swim up room)

P2230225.jpg

Thanks, I will check it out. We lived in England for 3 years so we wouldn't be bothered by Europeans at all.

For kids - look at the Gayla in Playacar - great kids club. Our kids loved it.

As a note - because of the weak dollar - the guests at these AIs can be very European heavy. Kinda fun seeing your kids playing with kids from Italy or Germany. Kids did not seem to be bothered by it.

Be sure and check the Political climate before visiting.

There was a bit of nasty business happening last time we were there.

We squeeked by and got out of there but it was dicey for awhile.

When we were there, there were a lot of problems in Haiti and the people of the DR are very nasty towards the Hatians. the DR is a 3rd world country and therefore you will see a lot of police/military with machine guns if you travel outside the confines of a resort. One tour we went on with a bunch of Germans and there was just us from the US and 2 Canadians couples. the local guide who only spoke English and Spanish (another guide was on the bus speaking German) talked to us at leangth abou the political situation, and believe me, nobody from the DR wants to land in a DR jail/prison. So, although they are very poor, and some are agressive, we had no problems saying "no" to local vendors. Most are very polite and thankful they have a job in a resort area, or in a store that caters to tourists.

While I enjoy going on cruises, I like AI resorts even more. We've done that in Cancun a few times and love it. No need to worry about food OR drinks (especially the ones with alcohol!) :D

As far as cost, it's gotten to be about even. It used to be a lot cheaper to fly and stay at an AI resort, but airfare costs have equalized it a bit. Living on the Gulf Coast helps with both.

Get a room on the beach and you are pretty much set. Sleep in a room that actually has room! No need to rush back from your daily excursions, of which there are more to choose since there are no time restrictions.

We are cruising again over Thanksgiving, but next year will be a vacation at an AI resort. But really, you can't go wrong with either.

Thank you sooooooo much for all of the replies. I see I have alot of research to do.

We live in Northern California so we are used to purchasing airfare. We like the Caribbean much better than the mexican riveria. We prefer the warm water. The ocean is quite chilly on this side of the US.

Looks like the Mayan Riveria and the DR are the top recommendations.

I am sure we will return to cruising. I believe the Mediterrean will be our next cruise destination in 2014.

Thanks again for all of your time. I will keep you posted on the resort we choose.

We are going back to the Royal Suites Turquesa in Punta Cana DR this winter for the 3rd year. Beautiful place, gorgeous beach, lobster every night on the menu, adults only and part of huge resort that if it gets too quiet you can go to other more lively areas.

For us, much less expensive to go there for 2 weeks than do an 8 day cruise and spend a couple of days beforehand in FLL when you factor everything in.

This is our balcony we had last year (we booked a swim up room)

P2230225.jpg

If you don't mind my asking, how much per person for 2 weeks in this room? What month did you go? And, do you normally fly (pay airfare) when you cruise?

I have another question. We usually take our vacation during the summer, June or July. We have not encountered any tropical storms or hurricanes..so far. But this is the rainy season in the Caribbean.

So should we be looking for a vacation during the winter or spring? Is the ocean warm during the winter?

Our birthdays are 12/23 and 1/2. I think this would be a great birthday gift.

Any thoughts?

I agree with everyone who has suggested Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen area. It is very nice. We stayed at Now Jade Rivera and it was awesome. I love AIs, maybe even more than cruising (sorry) but right now cruising works for me better because of the age of my little one and being leering about taking her to Mexico right now (never worried about it when it was just DH and I). I suggest checking out trip advisor.

Agree about the kids! I am just a little too scared to take them to an AI out of the country. I see several posts on here about kids. Maybe I'm being too paranoid. Cruising is easy with little ones. Camp Carnival is awesome!

If you don't mind my asking, how much per person for 2 weeks in this room? What month did you go? And, do you normally fly (pay airfare) when you cruise?

This year will be about $6300 for everything. I am not sure of the breakdown of flights vs resort though as we booked a package up here. We are going in February which is the busy time so it is more than say Oct - Dec / early January. Also we booked the Club Class seats for the flights which added about $400 to the trip.

When you factor in the cruise, flights, hotels, on board spending, etc this gives us much greater value for our vacation dollar and in the end is much less expensive.

Archived