I booked a cabana at Half Moon Caye. Now what?

jayscore

We booked a cabana for our cruise in Nov, I saw there was only one left and booked it. Came on CC and got the email address to send to shore excursions and got the reply they stopped taking the cabana # request via email on July 14 and advised me to visit the shore excursion desk upon embarkation. I booked July 26th.

We are super excited! Our sons do not do well in the heat-unlike Mom-they are more like dad-I suspect our sons and he will sit in there while I bask in the glorious sun!

I want to thank everyone for their insights, I have read for a long time to get the higher cabana's and 11 or 12 looks good to me. Hoping we get it.

And I was wondering about the tender, since I read on another HMC post where the tender line was long and they didn't even get to the island until 2 pm or something, I didn't want to waste our money and not get there til 2 so I am really glad to know it is not like that.

We get one whenever we go to HMC and we have rented them many times. If you go to flickr in my signature, there is a group of pictures of every cabana and the pros and cons to each one (we have pretty much had them all over the years)

You will meet in usually an aft lounge on the ship. The only people there will be the people who rented cabanas and the people who are renting the large 12 person cabana. As soon as the ship clears, you will be lead together to the tender completely separate from the other people. Then they bring anyone who is platinum to fill the tender. The truth is it is a short ride (not like Belize) to the island and they run two tenders that hold a lot of people.

Do not bring you beach towels from the ship, they will have them in the cabana for you. If you want to walk to the cabana without going on the little "taxi thing - sometimes it is not there when you arrive), walking on the beach is much shorter than walking on the pathway that winds around behind the cabanas. They have an air conditioner but the front of the cabana is open. You would think that it would not work, but surprisingly it does work quite well.

There is no priority tendering back to the ship, and that is where we find the long lines at the end of the day. All the food is brought from the ship, and at the end, they are loading all the big containers on the tenders to return to the ship. We go back at least an hour before we have to and still end up waiting in line in the sun. There is no shade on the line back, so we bring an umbrella for some protection from the sun because we have waited on line for the return tender about 30-45 minutes. Also if the downstairs of the tender is completely full, upstairs is open and again in the sun.

NOTE: Often tons of water comes in and soaks the people sitting next to the open windows on the lower deck, if it is the least bit wavy. The entire length of the tender, but especially in the front so watch cameras and stuff if you sit there. We even have taken a seat in the middle of all the seats in the middle of the tender downstairs and still got some spray. The people sitting in the 2 seat groups on either side are often drenched.

We had #6 a couple weeks ago. I dont recommend this one since the shower is on the same level as the cabana. This is the only one I noticed this way. On the Fascination we were told to meet in a lounge for the first tender and everyone else was told to go to the theater for tender tickets.

Do not bring you beach towels from the ship, they will have them in the cabana for you. If you want to walk to the cabana without going on the little "taxi thing - sometimes it is not there when you arrive), walking on the beach is much shorter than walking on the pathway that winds around behind the cabanas. They have an air conditioner but the front of the cabana is open. You would think that it would not work, but surprisingly it does work quite well.

I've rented Cabanas twice and towels were provided neither time. So I wouldn't take the chance.

I've rented Cabanas twice and towels were provided neither time. So I wouldn't take the chance.

We always bring them just in case but the last 5 times we have rented the cabanas, they have had them. It probably goes on their supply though, and maybe we just got lucky. I agree, bring them but use theirs if provided and otherwise you will be covered.

How do you book a cabana? like the OP did, I can not find a place to do that. How much are they?

You have to go to the activities and excursion tab for your cruise. It will say "per person on it" but it is for up to 4 people and only one has to book it. They are $199-$220 - we have paid everything in between, and for some cruises it is cheaper, not sure why. Most often you will find it listed with the "sold out" otherwise if you hit the "purchase now", before you actually purchase it, they will say how many are left. They sell out months in advance on some cruises. We book ours, as soon as we book the cruise, otherwise they are sold out.

You have to go to the activities and excursion tab for your cruise. It will say "per person on it" but it is for up to 4 people and only one has to book it. They are $199-$220 - we have paid everything in between, and for some cruises it is cheaper, not sure why. Most often you will find it listed with the "sold out" otherwise if you hit the "purchase now", before you actually purchase it, they will say how many are left. They sell out months in advance on some cruises. We book ours, as soon as we book the cruise, otherwise they are sold out.

You'll also find them not available for sale yet, if you do keep checking. I made it part of my daily check for price drops routine until the became available.

That is what I thought Big Duck. We are booked for Nov 2013 and we can't book any excursions online. HMM...I wonder if it is because it is too far in advance. I'm not sure what is going on with our account online because I also can't get it to update my VIFP either. I have e-mailed them twice to fix it and still showing 0 days..so maybe its time to call. Thanks for the quick reply.

That is what I thought Big Duck. We are booked for Nov 2013 and we can't book any excursions online. HMM...I wonder if it is because it is too far in advance. I'm not sure what is going on with our account online because I also can't get it to update my VIFP either. I have e-mailed them twice to fix it and still showing 0 days..so maybe its time to call. Thanks for the quick reply.

Exactly. My May 2013 just came on line a week or so ago.

Ive seen other posts where people secured the one they wanted in advance.

If enough do this.. once onboard the good ones will be gone.

We emailed 2 weeks ago and the reply was that Carnival stopped allowing this as of 7/14. You have to go to the shore excursion desk once on board and reserve first come first served basis.

After reading this thread, I thought I better check for our June, 2013 cruise. Lo and behold, the cabanas were available to rent! And 4 of them were already rented:eek:!

So, being the plan ahead person that I am, I went ahead and reserved our cabana for 10 months from now:D.

Dh is sitting here just shaking his head at me. I told him he will thank me next june:p.

baf

This cabana was close to restrooms and shuttle stop. Not crowded like the lower numbers.

306438_214568768615088_1288352732_n.jpg

If you pick a lower number cabana, you will have an issue with people trying to use your cabana as they get off they ship and walk down the beach. Some people don't understand the cabanas cost money and just help themselves. I've also seen people just want to come up and borrow the shower. The farther down the beach you are (bigger numbered cabanas), the less this will be an issue for you. Especially if you want to leave your personal items in the cabana while you enjoy the ocean, you might not be comfortable with people walking up into your cabana in your absence.

We emailed 2 weeks ago and the reply was that Carnival stopped allowing this as of 7/14. You have to go to the shore excursion desk once on board and reserve first come first served basis.

First off, thanks for all of the replies!

Next, I also Emailed the "powers that be", and was told I had to go to the excursion desk to "stake my claim", so to speak.

Thanks again, all!;)

I need some advice about booking a cabana. I have been trying to look at shore excursions on the Carnival website for my cruises and when I click on "shore excursions" it goes to a page with a picture of a towel animal doggie with a wrench in his mouth. It says the site is not currently available, undergoing routine maintenance, and will be back up soon.

This has been going on for a few months, so I called Carnival and he said I won't be able to book, or look at, shore excursions until 120 days before my cruise. I don't believe him. I swear I booked my last cabana on HMC way before 120 days out.

Anyway, why am I seeing a "routine maintenance " page, instead of the list of excursions, or a page saying excursions can't be booked yet. What do you all see when you try to look at excursions for your future cruises?

I need some advice about booking a cabana. I have been trying to look at shore excursions on the Carnival website for my cruises and when I click on "shore excursions" it goes to a page with a picture of a towel animal doggie with a wrench in his mouth. It says the site is not currently available, undergoing routine maintenance, and will be back up soon.

This has been going on for a few months, so I called Carnival and he said I won't be able to book, or look at, shore excursions until 120 days before my cruise. I don't believe him. I swear I booked my last cabana on HMC way before 120 days out.

Anyway, why am I seeing a "routine maintenance " page, instead of the list of excursions, or a page saying excursions can't be booked yet. What do you all see when you try to look at excursions for your future cruises?

Too early. Right now we have 12 cruises booked through Nov of 2013. I can see excursions and book them for all our cruises through Jan 2013 right now. Everything past January I get the same thing you do. You can get an idea from looking what is offered on earlier cruises to the same port, but otherwise, just keep checking back. It is our experience that they are often available sooner than 120 days out, and do be aware that they often come up a few at a time. Also, sometimes sold out excursions on line are sometimes available on the ship due to cancellations or Carnival increasing capacity if they can on sold out excursions. Unfortunately cabanas rarely work that way

Before my HMC Cabanas became available the excursion detail page was there but in place of the order button there was a more info button.

As far as the under repair page goes, I had that issue with fareviewer for a while until I did a manual refresh of the page.

Too early. Right now we have 12 cruises booked through Nov of 2013. I can see excursions and book them for all our cruises through Jan 2013 right now. Everything past January I get the same thing you do. You can get an idea from looking what is offered on earlier cruises to the same port, but otherwise, just keep checking back. It is our experience that they are often available sooner than 120 days out, and do be aware that they often come up a few at a time. Also, sometimes sold out excursions on line are sometimes available on the ship due to cancellations or Carnival increasing capacity if they can on sold out excursions. Unfortunately cabanas rarely work that way

I am hoping you are right about it being too early. I am so glad you see the same thing I see.......I was beginning to get worried it was just me getting that page. I'll keep checking and hopefully the excursion page will show up soon.

Before my HMC Cabanas became available the excursion detail page was there but in place of the order button there was a more info button.

As far as the under repair page goes, I had that issue with fareviewer for a while until I did a manual refresh of the page.

I was thinking I should see a page with excursions too, and just not be able to click to book until closer to the cruise. I hope they fix this soon.

This time I booked our cabana a year out. I do not know why you can't. I have seen posts were others have stated they have been all booked 8 months out or so. I wonder if it is a glitch with the site.

I'm going to give it some more time to see if Carnival will show excursions for my cruise in the next month or two. I'm still 13 months away from my cruise. I wish Carnival could be a bit more consistant with things like this. I sure hope it's not a glitch. I am wondering if it is because Carnival changed their website around, and maybe they are still working on some parts of the site.

Archived