Cruise ship terminal Puerto Vallarta

vaguy22

Exactly where does the cruise ships dock in P.V.? thank You

Here is a view of the port -

2318677640078358666S425x425Q85.jpg

Here is an overhead view (main tourist district is to the south) - http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=20.6524376&lon=-105.2421785&z=16&l=0&m=b&search=Merando%20beach%2C%20cabo%20san%20lucas%2C%20mexico

This site has great, up-to-date maps of the area - http://vallartainfo.com/hotelzone.html

Marina Vallarta is immediately to the north of the port. City bus or taxi to the downtown/southside tourist zones.

Enjoy!

Its a really lame terminal (imo). Across the street is a mall and a Walmart (if I remember correctly) and you have to take a taxi to get to downtown.

Yes you could take a taxi for a few dollars (best paid in Pesos). Or you can simply walk out of the port and catch the local buses (they run about every minute) for about 6 pesos (50 cents) to centro or the southside (old town). As to being a "lame" port we will leave that to those with crutches to bear :) For us, we call PV home for a couple of months a year and love the region.

Hank

Yes you could take a taxi for a few dollars (best paid in Pesos). Or you can simply walk out of the port and catch the local buses (they run about every minute) for about 6 pesos (50 cents) to centro or the southside (old town). As to being a "lame" port we will leave that to those with crutches to bear :) For us, we call PV home for a couple of months a year and love the region.

Hank

Price of the busride has gone up or will go up one of these days to 7.50 Pesos.

Its a really lame terminal (imo). Across the street is a mall and a Walmart (if I remember correctly) and you have to take a taxi to get to downtown.

I am not sure what you mean that it is a lame terminal. Don't see it being anymore lame than any other terminal. I find its location fine.

Keith

Price of the busride has gone up or will go up one of these days to 7.50 Pesos.

Grrrrrr. I cannot handle this! Two price increases in 3 years. And the horror of having to pay about 60 cents! Oh the horror,,,,the horror :) But all will be OK as long as Troy keeps the price of beer and margaritas (Cheeky Monkey and Sea Monkey) at $1. At least we have a place to go to drink away the sorrows of the high bus fare.

Hank

Grrrrrr. I cannot handle this! Two price increases in 3 years. And the horror of having to pay about 60 cents! Oh the horror,,,,the horror :) But all will be OK as long as Troy keeps the price of beer and margaritas (Cheeky Monkey and Sea Monkey) at $1. At least we have a place to go to drink away the sorrows of the high bus fare.

Hank

I cannot guanrantee your Margaritas will be the same next time.....

It seems for the bus at first 10.- Pesos was proposed, but of course that was indeed too much - many locals as you know depend on the bus.

Hank

Troy is greedy !!! He doesn't reduce his drink prices when the value of the peso drops !!! What are we going to do with him ???;):D

Troy is greedy !!! He doesn't reduce his drink prices when the value of the peso drops !!! What are we going to do with him ???;):D

What do you expect from a New Yorker! But we have a simple strategy for dealing with Troy which is to pay in either Pesos or dollars...depending the actual rate of exchange that particular day. Troy has certainly made an impression in PV and we were happy to see him open-up on the southside and create some price competition.

Hank

What do you expect from a New Yorker! But we have a simple strategy for dealing with Troy which is to pay in either Pesos or dollars...depending the actual rate of exchange that particular day. Troy has certainly made an impression in PV and we were happy to see him open-up on the southside and create some price competition.

Hank

He and his crew are really an asset to PV !!! They know how to make everybody feel welcome, and make you want to return. I know I will be at one or both of the "MONKEYS" next trip !!

Since this forum is primarily read by cruisers who are not very familiar with PV we need to clarify the issue of bus fares. I did a little research (checked the local PV news) and the local bus fares are still 6.5 pesos (about 50 cents) which is paid to the driver upon boarding (they can make change in pesos). Ine mentioned a cost increase, and yes, there is a possibility that the fares will be increased by 1 peso to 7.5 pesos, but since this needs to be approved by the government one should not hold their breath. So for cruisers you still only need to pay 6.5 pesos if you use the buses into town from the Marina (or back).

If there is a price increase the buses will post notices on the buses however they will probably only be in Spanish (after all..it is a Spanish speaking country). Based on what happened the last time they increased fares we can expect a several month advance notice. If it happens, one of the PV regulars will post info here.

Hank

The fare increase won't make a difference to me. I always give the driver a dollar and give him back the pesos as a tip.

If you use the bus, be sure to keep your ticket so if an inspector boards the bus, you can prove the driver gave you a ticket. It keeps the driver honest and also helps keep him out of trouble.

I don't think it's a lame terminal at all. Yes you have to take a taxi to get to downtown (or bus) but it's a very short ride. I've been to many ports that Ihad to take a taxi to the main area of town. In PV if you aren't going into town and doing shore excursions through your ship or privately you don't have to worry about a taxi at all.:D I actually find cruising into the terminal quite a nice sight. I usually go up on the forward deck (Princess) under the bridge and watch sailing into the port. It's really a beautiful site in my opinion plus it's fun to watch the captain maneuver into the channel and turn the ship around to dock it.:)

OP, there is also a nice, little flea market at the terminal if you want to do some last minute shopping, hotels you can walk to and use their facilities, and some shopping malls within walking distance.

I just read the increase will start August 31. Posted on Facebook by one of the locals.

As near as I can figure it would take effect 15 days after the Governor of Jalisco signs the order. Not sure if this has happened yet but here is a link to a good story on the topic for those who are interested.

http://pvangels.com/news/542/one-peso-hike-in-state-wide-bus-fares-in-jalisco

To put this in proper perspective, if we spend our normal 2 months in PV we nornally would use the bus about 50 times. This new increase would accordingly cost us 5o more pesos or about $4. For cruise passengers it would mean spending 2 more pesos (round trip from the port into Centro) or about 15 cents. So its meaningless for tourists. But the impact on the locals is more severe since they have lower incomes and must often use the buses several times a day.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

Recently there have been demonstrations in P. vallarta and Guadalajara re the increase in busfare, the decision is made price will not be raised.

So for the time being the fare in Vallarta will be Pesos 6.50 per person per ride.

http://www.pvpulse.com/en/news/news-from-banderas-bay/another-triumph-for-the-civil-society-the-bus-fare-goes-down

The protest were mostly done by students who need to take the bus various times daily. As you know no transfertickets are given, so some of them need tickets at least 2-4 times each day.

Archived