Pregnant and Doctor won't sign forms...help!

Foxinspace

You may be getting them back if the institute this crazy health care program.A large number of your fellow countrymen (and women) are practicing in the U.S. I know my doctor already told me he will either retire (early) on set up a "botique" practice......

And what about the death panels? How did this mother-to-be escape the death panel? I think that would be an interesting documentary.

You may be getting them back if the institute this crazy health care program.A large number of your fellow countrymen (and women) are practicing in the U.S. I know my doctor already told me he will either retire (early) on set up a "botique" practice......

I am inclined to believe that doctor #1 was behaving the way he did because of the way that our Ontario Government has been dealing with contract discussions regarding the Physicians in this province. He cut off contract negotiations and dictated to them a list of cuts and new fees that they will be receiving. The OMA has a current lawsuit against the government of Ontario. Our doctors are beginning to head west where they are currently being recruited. I think that the OP was collateral damage. Most doctors are not taking it out on patients but ultimately the migration of our Ontario doctors going to Alberta and elsewhere will effect us all.

Glad to hear that the OP has now found a physician who will follow you through your pregnancy.

I am inclined to believe that doctor #1 was behaving the way he did because of the way that our Ontario Government has been dealing with contract discussions regarding the Physicians in this province. He cut off contract negotiations and dictated to them a list of cuts and new fees that they will be receiving. The OMA has a current lawsuit against the government of Ontario. Our doctors are beginning to head west where they are currently being recruited. I think that the OP was collateral damage. Most doctors are not taking it out on patients but ultimately the migration of our Ontario doctors going to Alberta and elsewhere will effect us all.

Glad to hear that the OP has now found a physician who will follow you through your pregnancy.

We were in Calgary last year and Alberta is booming. It's amazing how a little drillling will pick up the economy. And then the beauty of Banff and the Canadian Rockies....beautiful country. Good luck with your medicine problem and I see Great Britian is returning to a private health care system and in Europe a two hospital system is the norm, one private and one public.:cool:

To the O.P. Glad to hear you found a true Doctor....dedicated to the person. Wishing you all the best and a Happy and Healthy bambino....:)

We were in Calgary last year and Alberta is booming. It's amazing how a little drillling will pick up the economy. And then the beauty of Banff and the Canadian Rockies....beautiful country. Good luck with your medicine problem and I see Great Britian is returning to a private health care system and in Europe a two hospital system is the norm, one private and one public.:cool:

To the O.P. Glad to hear you found a true Doctor....dedicated to the person. Wishing you all the best and a Happy and Healthy bambino....:)

No perfect answer that is for sure but we were really making great headway here in Ontario regarding retention of our newly trained doctors the last 5 years or so. Hopefully they will come to terms sooner rather than later.

... I see Great Britian is returning to a private health care system and in Europe a two hospital system is the norm, one private and one public.:cool:

That's news to me, but what would I know, as general practioner (primary care physician)? Yes there are some changes to the way things are funded, with the involvement of some private financing of provision, but there is still universal provision of care free at the point of contact. Many people do have private health insurance, but the vast majority of citizens use the NHS for their health care, especially in primary care. The NHS has it's problems, but it ain't dead yet!

That's news to me, but what would I know, as general practioner (primary care physician)? Yes there are some changes to the way things are funded, with the involvement of some private financing of provision, but there is still universal provision of care free at the point of contact. Many people do have private health insurance, but the vast majority of citizens use the NHS for their health care, especially in primary care. The NHS has it's problems, but it ain't dead yet!

.....The journey of 100 miles starts with the first step.......

;)

Visited my OBGYN today and mentioned I would be cruising next month and asked him to sign the obligatory cruise line forms and he refused!

He didn't refuse because I will be too far along... only 16 weeks at cruise time

He didn't refuse because of a health reason... all of my tests have been fine

He didn't say we'll check you out at your next visit and if no issues I 'll sign then.

He said he absolutely wouldn't sign anything because he didn't want the liability on him. He said "Just don't tell them." Meaning don't tell the cruise line I'm pregnant. Well thanks, too late cause I already did. I had to get the forms from them in the first place.

So now what?! I don't have a family doctor, I was referred to him by a walk in clinic.

Anyone have any thoughts to help me out!!

Thanks!

PS... Incase it matters I live in Ontario

Why would a physician who barely knows you sign a medical waiver for you to go on a cruise in the middle of the ocean and to a foreign country? You should have already been to an ob-gyn. Maybe that doctor, who was familiar with your medical history, wouldn't have had a problem signing. The doctor recommended by the clinic did the right thing and was practicing good medicine.

Well said, CraftyEC. Any Government attempting to take away the free care provided by the NHS would surely be cutting it's own throat! Yes, the NHS has it's problems but we should all value it.

Why would a physician who barely knows you sign a medical waiver for you to go on a cruise in the middle of the ocean and to a foreign country? You should have already been to an ob-gyn. Maybe that doctor, who was familiar with your medical history, wouldn't have had a problem signing. The doctor recommended by the clinic did the right thing and was practicing good medicine.

Okay - the system is different in Canada.

Unlike in the States where you can just call up an OB/GYN practice & get an appointment, in Canada you must have a referral. A lot of women don't get in to an ob/gyn for their first pregnancy check until 14-16 weeks. There is a real shortage of physicians in Canada, which means you wait sometimes many, many months for an opening.

THAT is the problem.

Im in Ontario also and all my pregnancies have been extremely highrisk...so at first i was thinking ... put your baby first don't take a chance :confused: so i apologize...theres NO WAY i would have even been allowed to go anywhere.. least of all a cruise!:eek:

That doesnt sound like the case for you though...

..so i agree find another doctor...he sounds like he's been burned and you need to find someone else...if at 16 weeks baby isnt in stress and you have no pre-existing condition I personally don't see why you can't go on a cruise...

...definately get a second opinion. Good luck! :o

ETA: so sorry just finisned reading ALL the posts SO GLAD it all worked out for you!!!! :D And i just want to say that i llove our Canadian health care system...people complain but when i needed them my doctors were there...all 4 of them....and they all worked to save my babies. I wouldnt have it any other way...GO OHIP!!!!

Well said, CraftyEC. Any Government attempting to take away the free care provided by the NHS would surely be cutting it's own throat! Yes, the NHS has it's problems but we should all value it.

......I just love reading all those stories in the Daily Mirror...Oh what about the one where the doctor and nurse went on lunch break and the poor chap died right in the Operating room.Everyday another one. Gotta love those Government mandates......;)

......I just love reading all those stories in the Daily Mirror...Oh what about the one where the doctor and nurse went on lunch break and the poor chap died right in the Operating room.Everyday another one. Gotta love those Government mandates......;)

Ah, that's why you're so well informed? If you are basing your opinions on what you read in our 'red top' tabloid press then there is no point in even raising any objection to what you write.

Me, I base all my knowledge of the state of US politics, healthcare and everything else on what is in the National Enquirer, with perhaps a nod to the Huffington Post ....

Ah, that's why you're so well informed? If you are basing your opinions on what you read in our 'red top' tabloid press then there is no point in even raising any objection to what you write.

Me, I base all my knowledge of the state of US politics, healthcare and everything else on what is in the National Enquirer, with perhaps a nod to the Huffington Post ....

Unfortunately, so do many Americans. :rolleyes:

And then there is the one about the person who died of thirst on a bed in a hospital......and the one who died of hunger in a hospital bed in a hospital because nobody had fed him in days...and the one who called"911" while in the hospital being neglected.....oh I love them all......and Britian does have some of the strictest defaming laws in the world so I would suspect the lawyers would act if not true......yeh the Government can do a

Much better job than the private sector.......God save the Queen...especially if She has to go to a public hospital....:eek:

I'm so glad it all worked out for the OP. Have a great pregnancy and enjoy your cruise! When the little one comes you'll be dreaming of those sea days! :D

I'm a dual citizen (US/Canadian) who has lived in Canada since I was an infant. I can assure you this health care system, while it has its challenges, is excellent and is well, well worth having. I have never had trouble with access to care, throughout my twin pregnancy or any other time, and have the peace of mind knowing that illness will not bankrupt my family. The peace of mind this gives me contributes, I believe, to a better quality of life. I realize folks from other countries may not completely agree with our system, but I assure you the vast, vast majority of Canadians would fight tooth and nail if they tried to take it away from us.

I'm so glad it all worked out for the OP. Have a great pregnancy and enjoy your cruise! When the little one comes you'll be dreaming of those sea days! :D

I'm a dual citizen (US/Canadian) who has lived in Canada since I was an infant. I can assure you this health care system, while it has its challenges, is excellent and is well, well worth having. I have never had trouble with access to care, throughout my twin pregnancy or any other time, and have the peace of mind knowing that illness will not bankrupt my family. The peace of mind this gives me contributes, I believe, to a better quality of life. I realize folks from other countries may not completely agree with our system, but I assure you the vast, vast majority of Canadians would fight tooth and nail if they tried to take it away from us.

Slowly the government is taking it away slowly. Every year there are more and more treatments and procedures being dropped at least here in Ontario. The system is not what it once was and it will only be a matter of time that you along with the rest of us Ontariians will have difficulties with access to care.

Archived