Lost......and I haven't even arrived!

Aldwyn's Bride

We've decided to do aDIY tour in Monaco from Cannes. I've figured out through older posts and a website that offers port guides How to get from the pier to the train station, how to buy tickets, check schedules etc. Where I start to get lost is upon getting off the train in Monaco, what do I do from there. Everything I've read references catching the bus from the pier. Since we are taking the train into Monaco this doesn't apply. Has anyone done the train trip into Monaco and how did you visit the tourist sites from there?

The problem is that the train station in Monte Carlo is on the opposite side of town from many of the most popular tourist attractions. If you really like to walk long distances it is quite doable, but when coupled with the hills in the city most perfer to use public transit (or a taxi) to get from the train station to an attraction. Some folks would suggest you simply take a local bus (you can ask at the station for the bus number and directions to the stop) to the Palace which is literally on the high ground of the city. From there you can work your way down to the rest of the town (if you want to walk) or use more public buses to get down the hill.

Hank

Once you get there is is pretty easy to get around and see both sides...Monaco and Monte Carlo,and most people do speak English and will be glad to help you.Both sides offer such a different take,and IMHO are fun in their own right.Good shopping on both sides as well.It is walkable,but takes time(I used to it,but no more) and you will waste time doing so.The local bus as Hank said is easy to use.Enjoy.

We've decided to do aDIY tour in Monaco from Cannes. I've figured out through older posts and a website that offers port guides How to get from the pier to the train station' date=' how to buy tickets, check schedules etc. Where I start to get lost is upon getting off the train in Monaco, what do I do from there. Everything I've read references catching the bus from the pier. Since we are taking the train into Monaco this doesn't apply. Has anyone done the train trip into Monaco and how did you visit the tourist sites from there?[/quote']

Cannes to Monaco was my plan A for last year but I was persuaded by views from CC that it was not worth it - Cannes was a tender port (for us at least) and it is a long trek. There are lots of wonderful places to visit much nearer. In the event we had a relaxing day wafering around Cannes and got back on the ship fairly early - it is just my opinion:)

Archived