Westerdam - Key West

sail7seas

Joanie

We have docked many times at the Naval Pier -- and no one was allowed to walk through the area.

You had to use either the Trolley or the Conch Train.

Maybe something has changed since we were there 2 years ago.

Yonnie, we have military ID cards which allows us access to all military installations. We should only have to show our ID cards to pass through the security:)

Joanie

Thank you Copper, I can always count on you for having the answers. to my questions.

The only reason I ask about tendering into Key West is I think the first time we were there, we did. There were many ships in on the same day and we got the short straw to tender. It was so long ago, I'm not sure I remember it clearly any more.

Sail, I agree, the frozen chocolate dipped Key Lime pie on a stick is something not to be missed with any Key West visit. ENJOY..........

And the Conch Fritters. We got ours from a kiosk in the little square where we caught the Trolley Train. The TT tour was a great way to see the sightseeing highlights of KW.

We also tendered and we were a LONG way out in the harbor. Tendering was in very choppy seas. I think the water was too rough to dock as I certainly remember the tendering itself, not being a fan of tendering under any conditions.

Which ship?

HAL or another cruise line?

Sail, I agree, the frozen chocolate dipped Key Lime pie on a stick is something not to be missed with any Key West visit. ENJOY..........

Thanks, Ginger and Professor. We're really looking forward to stopping there again. We've missed it.

How are you both? Nice to 'see' you. :)

Yonnie, we have military ID cards which allows us access to all military installations. We should only have to show our ID cards to pass through the security:)

Joanie

Joanie

Even if you have Military passes -- for you it will be nothing to go on the scooter -- but your DH -- it is quite a walk to get to town.

Take the Conch Train.

And the Conch Fritters. We got ours from a kiosk in the little square where we caught the Trolley Train. The TT tour was a great way to see the sightseeing highlights of KW.

We have been to Key West many times.

Back in 2010 we decided that since we knew we would not be back here unless we decide to do a land vacation -- we did the Conch Train tour and just went past many of the places that we love to see there.

It was a great tour to remind us of so many places there.

Joanie

Even if you have Military passes -- for you it will be nothing to go on the scooter -- but your DH -- it is quite a walk to get to town.

Take the Conch Train.

It's too far to walk.

We found lots to do -- Hemingways House, The Little White House, Mel Fisher Museumm Audobon House and Tropical Gardens -- just to name a few things.

Years ago we walked to the Southern Most point of the US.

Also good for scuba diving. :D

Greetings from the Fabulous Florida Keys! Mind if I chime in.

Yes, there are a lot of t-shirt shops and bar along Duval, but there are also a lot of great art galleries. Also, Key West has a wonderful butterfly garden at the upper end (Atlantic) of Duval and a lot of museums (some devoted to the wrecking industry and some devoted to authors).

One year, we cruised on Celebrity and our first port call was Key West (it was on the Century and we docked at Mallory Square and the ship flew the Conch Republic flag while in port!). And, although we have been there many, many times, we acted like tourists and had a great time! Key West is what you make of it. If you get dragged down by the t-shirt shops and bars, stay off Duval.

Too bad you will not be there at night to participate in the ghost tour (you're doomed!!!!)

Oh, yeah, even if you are not docked at Mallory Square, there will be shuttles to get you to "Key West" proper (corner of Duval and Front Street at least).

KeysCruisers

Archived