Alaska

cooper9191

This may sound stupid but looking for some help from those of you who have taken the Alaska cruise.

We have only done the Caribbean, it's a no brainer with clothing. What kind of clothing is necessary? All I think of is COLD. I'm sure it's not that way on board. I would love some suggestions. Also clothing for the excursions. Planning on whale watching and train ride. Any other helpful advice would be great.

Traveling end of June 2013 out of Seattle. Thank you for your help.

This may sound stupid but looking for some help from those of you who have taken the Alaska cruise.

We have only done the Caribbean, it's a no brainer with clothing. What kind of clothing is necessary? All I think of is COLD. I'm sure it's not that way on board. I would love some suggestions. Also clothing for the excursions. Planning on whale watching and train ride. Any other helpful advice would be great.

Dress in layers. I have been in Alaska in late May twice, once it was cold and the next year, I wore T-shirts and jeans. What type of excursions you want to do will determine what kind of clothes you will need: fishing, dog sledding, whale watching-coats, hats, gloves. For other things, just bring a jacket. The stop in Victoria on the way back is in the evening, so you will probably need a jacket. You will have a great time.

Well it won't be winter ....

I think you will be better off with lighter layers and a rain type jacket. You might not need shorts, but maybe packing one light pair that won't take up much room in case it does heat up.

Solid walking shoes.

Long sleeved shirts and Tshirts worn under them so you can de-layer if the day heats up.

Are you going up to the glacier? A hat and gloves might be advised.

Have a great time!!

June is a good time. We've been twice first week of June. Long daylight hours. Alaska weather is impossible to predict. Our first time was clear skies, 75 degrees everywhere, everyday. Best week of weather in 5 years the locals said. Next time, this past June, 50 - 60, mostly overcast, some rain....but still very nice and scenic....more like Alaska should look. Two weeks later, cruisers reported 40ish and drizzly frequently.....but still beautiful. Just can't tell. Beautiful regardless.

We just got back a couple of weeks ago. I wore jeans the entire trip except for in Seattle and Victoria when it was in the 70's and 80's. Jeans and a t-shirt or polo on the ship was perfect. My wife also often wore a light sweater on board, and a few days when I was going back and forth on my balcony I wore a fleece sweater most of the day.

In seattle and victoria I wore shorts and a t-shirt. In the ports I was in jeans, t-shirt and sweatshirt/fleece most of the time....but I also wore my goretex raincoat quite often.

As stated...layers.

Here are some good things to take:

• Two pairs of comfortable walking shoes (sneakers are fine). You would not believe how many women I saw wearing open toed sandals while hiking in the cold rain out to Mendenhall Glacier.
  • A couple of sweatshirts
  • knit cap
  • knit/lighweight gloves
  • good rain jacket (light weight)
  • A good pair of binoculars (8x40 or 10x40)

Then your normal cruise stuff. Also, the gift shop on the Jewel and Pearl have LOTS of jackets you can buy if you need an extra one. They're reasonably priced too.

Here are some example pictures from July. My review with more pictures is in my signature.

Son fishing in Ketchikan. Knit cap, hoodie and rain jacket

IMG_2530-vi.jpg

Lightweight jackets in Skagway

DSCN5300-vi.jpg

Bundled up in Juneau

IMG_2891-vi.jpg

We could see our breath on the Tracy Arm excursion

IMG_3075-vi.jpg

Now, having posted this, I can tell you the weather was sunny and warm the week before we went. So that's why the layers. Be prepared for anything from 38 and rainy to 70 and sunny.

Use a waterproof rain jacket for a windbreaker - large enough to go over layers if needed. Hats & gloves & layers for glacier viewing day. Binoculars & cameras are always good, but especially in Alaska. Pack a pair or two of shorts & some short sleeved t-shirts, some long sleeved shirts, maybe a sweatshirt. Jeans are the most common pants you'll see.

You might also look at the Ports of Call board for Alaska - there are lots of discussions about everything from clothing to tours. This is not cruise line specific so get used to folks from Princess, HAL and others.

We were on the Pearl in late June - Onboard the ship the inside temps are around 70 - I was comfortable in dockers and a polo shirt. Now if you step outside you would want at least a sweater or windbreaker. There is also the "what you are used to factor" - most people from warmer climates tend to feel the 60's like those of us in colder climes feel the 40's - yes I went walking outside the ship in my jeans and t-shirt - others had on parkas and could not understand how I could be out there like that. When I went on the small boat to Tracy Arm I had on jeans, t-shirt, a fleece, and a lightweight windbreaker - I was toasty.

We are very close to embarking on our 8th Alaska cruise out of Seattle. 6 of them in September, 2 of them in June.

The weather in AK is so unpredictable, even in the summer time. We have had cold, rainy weather and wonderfully, unusual warm weather.

Layers. But not parkas. A sweatshirt, sweater, rain jacket - those kinds of layers.

The only time that you will really need to bundle up will be the time you are viewing the glaciers, but one year (2010) we were actually wearing shirt sleeves out on deck while at the glaciers, it was that nice. The captain said in 150 times up there he'd never seen in as nice as that day.

Have a great time - the AK cruises are mighty wonderful!!

We did Alaska over Memorial Day week 2011. We packed for cold weather, and it was a week with a heat wave-it was warmer in Juneau than in Seattle. We wore a lot of "spring" clothing for the most part. Layers really is the key, as everyone has been saying. And, who knows what next year will be like. (we loved it so much, we are going back in 2013!)

We have sailed both Glacier Bay and Sawyer Glacier. The only times it was cold was when we were in the Inside Passage, Glacier Bay and Sawyer Glacier. It was cold enough we needed a parka, hat, gloves, etc. if we were going to be outside on the sailing days as it can be very cold.

Ports of call were different. Even coming in early in the a.m. we wore jeans, light sweaters and had windbreaker type jackets (with or without linings) for comfort. Almost daily we found ourselves taking off our outer jackets because we were getting warm.

We did not pack shorts although we saw a few die-hards wearing them in port. We wore jeans, comfortable walking shoes, jackets and always took a hat/gloves with us if we needed them.

Even if you forget something, the ship carries a good selection of items to help keep you warm and so the shops in port.

Have a great time. You will really like the Alaska cruise!

We are very close to embarking on our 8th Alaska cruise out of Seattle. 6 of them in September, 2 of them in June.

The weather in AK is so unpredictable, even in the summer time. We have had cold, rainy weather and wonderfully, unusual warm weather.

Layers. But not parkas. A sweatshirt, sweater, rain jacket - those kinds of layers.

The only time that you will really need to bundle up will be the time you are viewing the glaciers, but one year (2010) we were actually wearing shirt sleeves out on deck while at the glaciers, it was that nice. The captain said in 150 times up there he'd never seen in as nice as that day.

Have a great time - the AK cruises are mighty wonderful!!

We had shirt-sleeve weather last week too! But you never know in Alaska. :confused:

We did the Alaskan cruise this July out of Seattle on the Pearl. I had the same question about clothes and like everyone else has said layers is the way to go. On board I mostly wore capris or long pants with a blouse. It was room temperature inside all the common areas. If walking out on the deck or sitting out would throw on a spring jacket or a sweatshirt. On excusions it is different. In Skagway we did the Yukon Expediation and railway...parts were freezing cold...very windy and at other times I had my jacket off. Our coldest day was In Juneau because it was cold and also raining. I had not packed a warm enough jacket...I figured I wouldnt need it...I was wrong. However, in Juneau and in Skagway there were warm jackets for sale that were just $20...really nice looking too. I bought one in Juneau when I needed it and had a cheap souvenier to take home. As for shoes, I just wore my regular athletic shoes and they were fine for anything we were doing. Hope that helps. Enjoy your cruise....it is breath takingly beautiful.

Sure do appreciate it. We are getting more excited everyday. So far we have a group of 8 traveling. Does anyone have any great suggestions on hotels inSeattle...not real expensive, but not too far from town and not far from port? Also, did you guys get to the port? As I said so far we have a party of 8.

Thanks again for all the great advice. Look forward to hearing your responses.

There are several motel/hotels around the Seattle Center area - a short town car/taxi ride from the piers We stayed at the Best Western Inn and Suites - there was also a Holiday Inn Express just up the street. The Best Western was clean and nice - nothing fancy. I suspect the Holiday Inn would be similar. You are also just a couple of blocks from the Space Needle and the Music Experience. Our hotel had a sign up sheet for their town car service - we shared a Suburban with two other couples - total of 6 - not sure how they would handle 8 - but I am sure they could.

Here is a web site with more info http://www.visitseattle.org/Visitors/Discover/Cruising/Cruise-Packages.aspx

Hi,

I was just reading this thread because we are also taking an Alaskan cruise next July and I saw the thread about Seattle hotels.

We were in Seattle last July for one week and stayed at the Best Western Loyal Inn. It was clean, affordable priced and within walking distance to the Space Needle. We didn't rely on public transpo because we rented a car but from that location it was relatively close to everything downtown. We visited Pike Place market and the waterfront where we saw a few cruise ships docked.

There are several motel/hotels around the Seattle Center area - a short town car/taxi ride from the piers We stayed at the Best Western Inn and Suites - there was also a Holiday Inn Express just up the street. The Best Western was clean and nice - nothing fancy. I suspect the Holiday Inn would be similar. You are also just a couple of blocks from the Space Needle and the Music Experience. Our hotel had a sign up sheet for their town car service - we shared a Suburban with two other couples - total of 6 - not sure how they would handle 8 - but I am sure they could.

Here is a web site with more info http://www.visitseattle.org/Visitors/Discover/Cruising/Cruise-Packages.aspx

Thanks. I will check it out.

Hi,

I was just reading this thread because we are also taking an Alaskan cruise next July and I saw the thread about Seattle hotels.

We were in Seattle last July for one week and stayed at the Best Western Loyal Inn. It was clean, affordable priced and within walking distance to the Space Needle. We didn't rely on public transpo because we rented a car but from that location it was relatively close to everything downtown. We visited Pike Place market and the waterfront where we saw a few cruise ships docked.

Thanks. Will look in to that one.

We went in Sept 2 years ago and it was quite warm! Everyone kept saying how unusual it was. It didn't rain until we got to Victoria and then that was just a light rain. The only time I got cold was at the glacier. I wore long sleeved thin shirts and carried a cardigan most of the time (which was only used once). I don't wear shorts, and wore long pants and clogs. You can always pick up a sweatshirt in one of the ports if you need to.

We stayed out by the airport in Seattle and did a tour before we went to the ship. The tour company picked us up that morning at the hotel and we had a nice tour---about 5 or 6 hours long. The driver carried us right to the port and handled our luggage for us. On the way back, we just got a taxi (it was about $30).

Archived