Everything Breakaway!(LIVE on 4/28)

loungerz

Oh my my my, look at the color of the water!

Thank you for posting.

The color of the water is beautiful. I saw this posted somewhere else and it seems what we are looking at in the background is the construction going on at the wharf. Doesn't look like they have done a whole lot.

The color of the water is beautiful. I saw this posted somewhere else and it seems what we are looking at in the background is the construction going on at the wharf. Doesn't look like they have done a whole lot.

Nope, very scary :/

Here's where you saw it. Go to bluesea777 Post #6.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1821857

Thanks bluesea777!

I was looking at my reservations, just a BC on deck 14 (near the elevators though so that's a major plus for my parents), but noticed lots of availability for my sailing on the aft-extended B1 balconies, did a couple of numbers crunching, but decided to stay where we are, I can't justify an extra $500 each per cabin to upgrade.

BUT, while I was on the phone with my TA she kept enticing me with that inaugural 5/12 Bermuda trip, I decided to check it out and it appears alot of catagories being sold out!

I believe you can only book 45 days prior to your cruise......or is that for restaurants, etc.?

Harriet

I'm not traveling until June and I booked an excursion. I called into NCL because I had two cabins and wanted to buy them together and you can't on the web site. I shouldn't say you can't it was just easier on the phone.

For those of you that are able to book your dining reservations now, is there an option to choose seating outside on the waterfront? Or do you just book the restaurant and they seat you at whatever table is available, inside or out??

Not sailing until July but has anyone made ressies for dining for a larger group. I will have 10 and want to make ressies when they open up in May. I will have everyone's Booking ID.

For those of you that are able to book your dining reservations now, is there an option to choose seating outside on the waterfront? Or do you just book the restaurant and they seat you at whatever table is available, inside or out??

No, not even with pre-cruise concierge, just the single restaurant. No option for time other than 7:30 for our party of three either at midnight at the 45 day mark. System is kinda broken right now.

Robin

Not sailing until July but has anyone made ressies for dining for a larger group. I will have 10 and want to make ressies when they open up in May. I will have everyone's Booking ID.

Will only allow parties of 2, 3, or 4 right now. Parties of 2 or 4 allow a choice of times, party of 3 get one time slot only.

Robin

Anybody hear anything new about the release of the menu for Ocean Blu? Can't imagine that NCL is going to expect April/May passengers to pre pay for what is the most expensive specialty restaurant on the he ship without first seeing a menu. And that said, it's kinda surprising that that menu hasn't been released yet, seeing as how the first meals will be served in less than 3 weeks :rolleyes:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Anybody hear anything new about the release of the menu for Ocean Blu? Can't imagine that NCL is going to expect April/May passengers to pre pay for what is the most expensive specialty restaurant on the he ship without first seeing a menu. And that said, it's kinda surprising that that menu hasn't been released yet, seeing as how the first meals will be served in about 3 weeks :rolleyes:

someone just asked that question on the NCL facebook page - they said they would be releasing it soon, stay tuned. If I see anything on the page, I'll post.

someone just asked that question on the NCL facebook page - they said they would be releasing it soon, stay tuned. If I see anything on the page, I'll post.

Cool, thanks.

Wow! Just finished reading all 162 pages, lots of great stuff folks!

I booked an OS and a two bedroom haven suite today for our group of 7. Planned on the S1 with connecting S5, but the S5 that connects only sleeps 2, whereas the rest of the S5s all sleep 3. Bit of a bummer, but shifted my kids off with my best friends in the 2 bedroom and hubby and I will have the OS to ourselves.

Really wish their was a floor plan and pictures of the OS, but I'm guessing it can't be bad, so went ahead and booked.

Can't wait for all of you to start sending back pics :)

Anybody hear anything new about the release of the menu for Ocean Blu? Can't imagine that NCL is going to expect April/May passengers to pre pay for what is the most expensive specialty restaurant on the he ship without first seeing a menu. And that said, it's kinda surprising that that menu hasn't been released yet, seeing as how the first meals will be served in less than 3 weeks :rolleyes:

Maybe they want a little mystery in it. I know he said he had finished the dessert menu.

Will only allow parties of 2, 3, or 4 right now. Parties of 2 or 4 allow a choice of times, party of 3 get one time slot only.

Robin

Thank you Robin. For my party of 10, would I call NCL at my 45 day mark?

Thanks so much!

Is it correct that Ocean Blue is suppose to be the nicest of all the restaurants on the Breakaway (I think I read it was the most expensive)? I'm trying to get Teppanaki for my party of 10, which includes some younger children, but would like to book Ocean Blue for my family of 4, which includes my 15 and 19 year old, and my mother. What I'm essentially asking is what is suppose to be the nicest restaurant where my 15 and 19 year old can also go. We all enjoy excellent food/service and want to take my mother to a nice place since she's taking us on the cruise.

Thanks so much!

Maybe they want a little mystery in it. I know he said he had finished the dessert menu.

Well obviously it had to have been finished quite a while ago, as not only will menus had to be printed by now you but also the cooks and waitstaff trained, and most critically the order for food supplies for the restaurant would had to have been placed long ago since they'll be loading up with those goods in Rotterdam.

Well obviously it had to have been finished quite a while ago, as not only will menus had to be printed by now you but also the cooks and waitstaff trained, and most critically the order for food supplies for the restaurant would had to have been placed long ago since they'll be loading up with those goods in Rotterdam.

Not finished a while ago. They are setting up restaurants as I post. Hopefully they will have a couple of trial dinners with crew before the first passengers board on the 26th.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Wow! Just finished reading all 162 pages, lots of great stuff folks!

I booked an OS and a two bedroom haven suite today for our group of 7. Planned on the S1 with connecting S5, but the S5 that connects only sleeps 2, whereas the rest of the S5s all sleep 3. Bit of a bummer, but shifted my kids off with my best friends in the 2 bedroom and hubby and I will have the OS to ourselves.

Really wish their was a floor plan and pictures of the OS, but I'm guessing it can't be bad, so went ahead and booked.

Can't wait for all of you to start sending back pics :)

We're on the same sailing, though we're slumming it in a balcony cabin lol! Have to save for the trip to Africa in 2016 ;)

We should soon have lots of great photos to make our wait seem even longer...

Not finished a while ago. They are setting up restaurants as I post. Hopefully they will have a couple of trial dinners with crew before the first passengers board on the 26th.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Physically setting up restaurants, yes. But to suggest that those who are in charge of planning the menu for Ocean Blu -- on an $840 million dollar cruise ship that has been under planning/construction for a year-and-a-half -- are waiting until less than 3 weeks before the first sailing to sort out the details of that menu.....I mean, seriously? And its not like Zakarian & company needed the kitchen in the completed ship to experiment with/finalize the menu, as they'd obviously know the facilities & equipment that they would eventually have available to them on board. Either way I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt that they would have their act together more than that. That would be like someone figuring out their dinner menu a half-hour before their guests were set to arrive, LOL.

Oh and to add to what Gambee said before, Zakarian did say that they had the dessert menu completed...back at the beginning of November (5 months ago). My honest guess is they may be running into complications with perhaps the availability of some seafood that Zakarian might like to have regularly on the menu. I'd imagine its a lot different then just having your own restaurant, in that in this case he probably had to say what he'd like to have on the menu, then submit it to Norwegian and then see if financially they can make that work for a ship's restaurant (and also to make sure that Norwegian's supply chain can accommodate those requests on a regular weekly basis whenever Breakaway is in port).

This was posted in November

Update on Ocean Blue from our very own Iron Chef, Geoffrey Zakarian

Hello Friends! It has been a few months since I’ve shared the latest updates on the Breakaway Blog, but boy, has it been busy! I wanted to give you an update on the progress of Ocean Blue, The Raw Bar and Ocean Blue on The Waterfront and give you some insider information on what we have been doing behind the scenes to make this restaurant come to life.

Here in New York, we have selected china, silverware, table linen, and other custom elements made just for this space. We’ve talked about menu design and uniforms, thinking all the while, “How can we make this restaurant different from anything anyone has experienced before on the water? How can we go that extra mile for Norwegian’s Guests.”

We have been training the Executive Chef for Ocean Blue at my New York restaurant, The Lambs Club, located on 44th Street. Together we have been working together to develop the menu, and adapting it to work on board.

I am proud to report that the dessert menu is complete! –There is nothing wrong with starting backwards, especially since I know that “Norwegians like to eat dessert first!”

The above is a photo of me working with my pastry chef Bjorn Bottcher in The Lambs Club kitchen – we were creating a dish that will be served on board.

I have been fascinated about all the intricacies of creating a venue for a ship. It is certainly worlds apart from a “land” based restaurant opening. The Norwegian team is so skilled at this whole process and truly, they have been great teachers and collaborators.

I am also thrilled that legendary New York City Icons, The Rockettes have been appointed Godmothers of Norwegian Breakaway! Maybe they will want to stop in for dessert soon…

I will be back in touch to keep you updated on the progress of the restaurants. In the meantime, send me comments or questions on twitter at @GZChef. Cheers!

Archived