Everything Breakaway!(LIVE on 4/28)

loungerz

I totally agree. On the Epic, we only ate one breakfast, no lunches, and had one dinner (room service) from the Epic Club -I would rather dine elsewhere at the Specialties. We never used the Haven at all, as it was full of families (hot tubs were filled with kids all day and night) and was very loud, not a complaint, because the families paid to be there too. Posh was our saving grace. Now with the balcony of the S4 cut to half the previous size, there's no incentive for booking it really. I love the "no worries, it's taken care of" part of Haven cruising, but now that I have to rush on board to buy Vibe passes, spa passes, etc, its losing a lot of it's charm. Too much fighting for a place in line to pay ten thousand dollars for. Thought the Epic was a nice balance - Posh for small for suite guests and Spice H20 had tons of adult space for others. On the Breakaway they made Spice waaaay too small...

Robin

After our two trips in the two bedroom villa on the Epic we so disliked the "balcony" that when we booked the Breakaway I knew we wanted a LARGE balcony. Thankfully it appears that the aft S6 was a good choice. I'll make the trek to the Haven to enjoy a couple of meals or to hook up with the concierge to get early access to a show or something, but that's about it.

Tom

Carlos, has been a staple in Hobo NJ for years. But, his store was chosen at random for a docu-series. For some reason they (TLC) decided to go with the bakery as a location shoot for a reality series.

While his bakery is good, it's not great. It has become a tourist trap, people line up for HOURS to get inside. Everyone tries to get a glimpse of the Volestro family, but they are hardly ever there, except for when they filming the series. Most people leave disappointed.

There are other GREAT bakery's in the area like Old German, Antique & Sweet. No lines there just real good baked good's and about half the price of Carlos.

Now that they are so popular (And good for them) there prices are CRAZY, they now mass produce a lot of their inventory, ship nationwide, and yes, quality has suffered.

But the family are now multi millionaires. so, GOD bless them. But they are marginal at best now. But if it were me, I would have done the same thing as the Volestro family did.

$49 for a small cake from the Cake Boss, Oh well. that is capitalism at its greatest.

I didnt know all of that interesting.So basically he was at the right place at the right time. Nothing is THAT good where i have to spend hours in line. Then its just "ok" after i have waited....oh noo.

Now Ncl could have gotten sarafina's on the dutch side in saint Maarten. Now that is some fabulous pastries. Apparently, NCL didnt want to consult me for my opinion:rolleyes::p

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

After our two trips in the two bedroom villa on the Epic we so disliked the "balcony" that when we booked the Breakaway I knew we wanted a LARGE balcony. Thankfully it appears that the aft S6 was a good choice. I'll make the trek to the Haven to enjoy a couple of meals or to hook up with the concierge to get early access to a show or something, but that's about it.

Tom

I'm totally with you on that - and the Breakaway's Two bedroom balconies are almost exactly half the size of the same on the Epic.. I would have loved to have gotten the S6, but as it was I had to wait for the S4 to become available. We book late due to constraints, usually at 45 days out or so. If we ever do the Breakaway again, it will only be in an S6, or maybe even an M6..

Robin

I think that is why I am going to try it. Maybe just one thing ;)

I agree with some that most of his items are overrated - but if the cannoli are as good as his shop, I will be definitely getting a few of those :D!

Robin

A while back we were talking about the Fireworks on the ship, well I found a blog from someone on the ship last week:

http://cruise365anth.wordpress.com/2013/04/28/80s-party-and-the-first-cruise-ship-to-schedule-fireworks-on-every-cruise/

You know something special is about to happen when the Cruise Director and her team appear on an outside dance floor in front of a large video screen playing the full original video to Michael Jackson’s ‘Thriller’. The entertainment team were all dressed as characters from the video and danced in unison to the music in true Thriller Style before making the statement ‘this is not a show, this is biggest 80s party at sea’. The dance floor then filled up with guests while music from the 80s projected on the big screen including Dire Straights ‘Money for Nothing’, Madonna’s ‘Like a Virgin’ and Bon Jovi’s ‘Living on a Prayer. The evening was a little fresh and a lot of guests went to their stateroom to get a fleece or a jacket (I enjoyed an Irish Coffee to warm me up) but this certainly did not stop the party. After the dancing it was time to enjoy the new signature on Norwegian Breakaway, the weekly scheduled Fireworks at Sea. A tip for guests when waiting for the Fireworks, make sure you are on the dance floor. I was expecting the fireworks to be fired from above the big screen but they actually came from the deck above so the dance floor would give you the best view of the fireworks and the ship. The fireworks were spectacular and choreographed to music including Europe’s ‘The Final Countdown’. This is certainly a party you do not want to miss.

20130428-084612.jpg

So while I was at work there has been a lot of chitchat about Vibe, heaven and the spa. At this point I am not sure what we will do, while I like the idea of a cabana just for us, I hate that I have to scoop out $300 for it. Same thinking goes for the spa, add to that the fact that I am aft and the spa is all the way forward I am more inclined to not do it.

I think I am just going to wing it and see how everything plays out. It seems like we are all jumping to conclusions way to early in the game. I am the first to say that spice and the pool area look way small, but we simply don't know how many people will be in the ocean front or at 678 during that time. It seems very much like all the complaining prior the oasis class ships and look how well RCCL distributed the people there. Who knows maybe NCL managed to do the same thing, maybe that is why they are selling Vibe to distribute some people there and all the suite guests into heaven.

I will be taking good notes on our sailing and reporting everything back on my review. I wonder at what capacity is our sailing currently.

A while back we were talking about the Fireworks on the ship, well I found a blog from someone on the ship last week:

http://cruise365anth.wordpress.com/2013/04/28/80s-party-and-the-first-cruise-ship-to-schedule-fireworks-on-every-cruise/

You know something special is about to happen when the Cruise Director and her team appear on an outside dance floor in front of a large video screen playing the full original video to Michael Jackson’s ‘Thriller’. The entertainment team were all dressed as characters from the video and danced in unison to the music in true Thriller Style before making the statement ‘this is not a show, this is biggest 80s party at sea’. The dance floor then filled up with guests while music from the 80s projected on the big screen including Dire Straights ‘Money for Nothing’, Madonna’s ‘Like a Virgin’ and Bon Jovi’s ‘Living on a Prayer. The evening was a little fresh and a lot of guests went to their stateroom to get a fleece or a jacket (I enjoyed an Irish Coffee to warm me up) but this certainly did not stop the party. After the dancing it was time to enjoy the new signature on Norwegian Breakaway, the weekly scheduled Fireworks at Sea. A tip for guests when waiting for the Fireworks, make sure you are on the dance floor. I was expecting the fireworks to be fired from above the big screen but they actually came from the deck above so the dance floor would give you the best view of the fireworks and the ship. The fireworks were spectacular and choreographed to music including Europe’s ‘The Final Countdown’. This is certainly a party you do not want to miss.

20130428-084612.jpg

Maybe a better place would be by the basketball court? It seems like the view there was not that good, that leaves out staying on my cabin for them. Thanks for sharing that :)

I will be taking good notes on our sailing and reporting everything back on my review.

Please, pretty please with a cherry on top......do report back. My ship sails right after yours, I believe!

Harriet

Funny that we were just talking about the fireworks and Andreas just posted this picture. Just like I thought there are better places for the fireworks. I am thinking the freestyle deck should be great.

474482_4127542206331_937859069_o.jpg

Just saw on ncl site that a new venue has been announced.

Something called SKI27.

It has tropical feel with palm tress and a kiddie pool.

Comes with a bar set up offering the signature cocktail. "The entitled"

Must bring own lounge chair but hammock rentals are available for a fee.

No pictures are available at this time

I agree with some that most of his items are overrated - but if the cannoli are as good as his shop, I will be definitely getting a few of those :D!

Robin

The thing about Carlo's isn't how the cakes tastes- because it pretty much all tastes the same. It's how beautiful the cake looks. We've had Carlo's cakes for weddings, baptisms, graduations,etc..., for over 15 years, and every single one was absolutely gorgeous. You peel off the fondant (who would eat that anyway) and eat cake.

Anyway, if they have the crumb cake- that is is the go-to item. That crumb is sinfully delicious.

I wonder at what capacity is our sailing currently.

I would love to know this too. Thinking there shouldnt be too many kids yet. Most east coast will still be in school, but colleges will be out.....:cool:

I would love to know this too. Thinking there shouldnt be too many kids yet. Most east coast will still be in school, but colleges will be out.....:cool:

Not worried about college students, not sure this is something that appeals to them at this point. But in any case it all adds to the ambience :D

Something called SKI27.

LOL, I almost spit my coffee all over my desk...

I am on the same sailing as you and Joeski, I hope I get invited to this new venue.

I would not recommend taking the children to Teppenaki, unless they can eat a lot of food. It is a very expensive dinner and there is no way even my husband can eat all of his meal. But 10 should fit at the table easy, we have been to this restaurant on all of the ships that have it and easily fits 10. The Moderno is basically a salad bar and then they come around to your table with about 10 different meats including, chicken, lamb, and a few different kinds of steaks from beef. It is a lot of food also.

Hibachi is one thing my daughters LOVE! We are definitely eating at teppenyaki when we are on breakaway. I'm wondering if they charge a child rate or the same for anyone.

Something called SKI27.

LMAO! I wonder how many people will read that post and say... Huh? For "those in the know" though...very funny! :D

LOL' date=' I almost spit my coffee all over my desk...

I am on the same sailing as you and Joeski, I hope I get invited to this new venue.[/quote']

A limited number of passes are available for sale at the front desk. Haven suites may or may not include passes depending on which sailing it is.

Dateline- May 2 - On the Breakaway middle of the Atlantic.

Vibe Beach Club will be available by day or week for a surcharge. Not really news but what is news access is not planned to be part of the Haven fare. Come one come all just pay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

My wife just read some of the thread and looked over at me with a confused look and said " Wow! people are going to think that your nice and very funny"

I now have an extra ticket for rock of ages and cirque and I am available for dinner every night!

Archived