Everything Breakaway!(LIVE on 4/28)

loungerz

You too?!?! If I don't read some good news when gamble gets back, I think I'm just going to pull the trigger. It's my first cruise and way too expensive at that to risk a bad time. I can always try to go next year when the ship is broken in a bit :) :)
Yup. Me too! :p

If I could sail off season and for half the price, I'd be less concerned about service issues and all but when facing a 4K bill not including extras or activities while in Bermuda, I really have to think hard about this one.

Perhaps it wasn't meant to be at this time? I'll have to decide soon. :(

I normally mock conspiracy theories, but no one can deny that if the waits are intolerable for the complimentary dining rooms, NCL will profit. If you read some of the first reviews of the ship, from before the May 12 sailing, there are several observations in that vein: things that normally are free but have changed, with the effect of steering you to paying more money.

Gambee, where and how did you find out there were 4600 passengers?

And that may be the problem. They never should have booked the first few cruises over double occupancy in fact they should have stayed under that number to give the ship a little room to get up to speed. I guess the bean counters over ruled operations :(

An extra 1000 onboard requires one more full seating in the restaurants

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

I've had my finger on the cancel reservation button for weeks now. I'm still within the 75 day window so have been patiently waiting for a couple reviews to come in.

For what it is worth - new ship growing pains don't add up to me. ;)

I often have felt the same way. While I am farther out from my sailing (and I'm not sailing at premium time) I have often wondered if I should cancel and book with RCL again. While I like the flexibility to eat when I want to, if I have to wait longer than I do on a friday night on land, doesn't really appeal to me considering I should be on vacation. On vacation, I want to eat and be waited on, that's what I go on vacation for! If I wanted to serve myself I would stay home and go camping! Lol :p I am hoping that since we are sailing during a "slow" time (not to mention still in hurricane season) and the week before thanksgiving that the crowds will be much smaller and we shouldn't have the issues of the summer months when I am sure she will be at capacity like she is now--and having tons of issues with seating time!

True, it may be a way to push many into the fee restaurants, but by the looks of those venues, they are far too small to handle the additional burden of more passengers.

Perhaps Gambee can check out and see if the wait times for the MDRs are listed on the iConcierge app? If I "check in" to the MDR early and then am able to walk around a bit while waiting, at least my kids won't be going stir crazy!

I normally mock conspiracy theories, but no one can deny that if the waits are intolerable for the complimentary dining rooms, NCL will profit. If you read some of the first reviews of the ship, from before the May 12 sailing, there are several observations in that vein: things that normally are free but have changed, with the effect of steering you to paying more money.

I think the alleged issues with "slow service" are largely an issue of perception.

We (those of us in the U.S.) have become a society of speed and convienence. We want fast food...but we don't even want to get out of the car to get it. :o We want everything done....NOW...and we never, ever, ever want to wait...not for a single second.

Land based restaurants rely on turning over tables to make money. The faster they seat you, serve you, and get you out the door, the sooner they can use the table to make money from the next customer.

We have become accustomed to restaurants operating this way.

And then we board a ship.

The ship doesn't charge you to eat in the MDR...they are not dependant on quickly turning over the tables to get to the next paying customer. Dining at sea is geared to providing a slow enjoyable dining experience. You are on vacation...take your time. There is no monetary need to rush you out the door.

Many of us mistake the relaxed dining experience for "slow service". We are not used to this sort of dining...we come from a world of rush, rush, rush and we just don't know how to slow down....therefore the service must be slow. :rolleyes: It could not possibly be that we are the ones in a hurry. We need to be on vacation speed!

I have never had an issue in getting in and out of a dining room on a ship when I had someplace to go. I have always found that if you have someplace to be and inform the waitstaff of your schedule that they do everything to get you where you need to be on time.

I think the alleged issues with "slow service" are largely an issue of perception.

We (those of us in the U.S.) have become a society of speed and convienence. We want fast food...but we don't even want to get out of the car to get it. :o We want everything done....NOW...and we never, ever, ever want to wait...not for a single second.

Land based restaurants rely on turning over tables to make money. The faster they seat you, serve you, and get you out the door, the sooner they can use the table to make money from the next customer.

The ship doesn't charge you to eat in the MDR...they are not dependant on quickly turning over the tables to get to the next paying customer. Dining at sea is geared to providing a slow enjoyable dining experience. You are on vacation...take your time. There is no monetary need to rush you out the door.

Many of us mistake the relaxed dining experience for "slow service". We are not used to this sort of dining...we come from a world of rush, rush, rush and we just don't know how to slow down....therefore the service must be slow. :rolleyes: It could not possibly be that we are the ones in a hurry. We need to be on vacation speed!

I have never had an issue in getting in and out of a dining room on a ship when I had someplace to go. I have always found that if you have someplace to be and inform the waitstaff of your schedule that they do everything to get you where you need to be on time.

I am only one data point, but I've eaten in nice restaurants; I have no problem with 'slow' service, when it serves a purpose, such as giving you the appropriate time between courses, or to give them time to cook the steak properly. I think the issue we're talking about here is long waits to be seated, which would seem to indicate poor planning.

We sailed last week and only waited once (Saturday night) for the Manhattan dining room for about 15-20 minutes. But we eat late--8:00pm or later and we were only two. The ladies did keep announcing that the other two main dining rooms had no waits! They gave out pagers which do work all over the ship. No wait for food once we were seated and there was live music. We were done eating by 9:00pm but we hung around until 9:30 when the band stopped playing. We actually got up and danced.

We never had trouble making the 10pm shows.

It might just work better if you don't mind being late. We are in our early 50s and I thought the majority of the crowd last week was older than us and they just might like to eat a little earlier. I think the same thing might happen when there are a lot of kids on board.

One other thing--the food was consistently served very hot! I thought it was impressive with the size of the dining rooms. I had the lamb shank Saturday night in the Manhattan Dining room (which is on the menu every night--right side item) and I actually had to wait to eat it. The first bite burned my tongue!

Hey, maybe I should have asked for a free cruise!! LOL ;)

I am only one data point, but I've eaten in nice restaurants; I have no problem with 'slow' service, when it serves a purpose, such as giving you the appropriate time between courses, or to give them time to cook the steak properly. I think the issue we're talking about here is long waits to be seated, which would seem to indicate poor planning.

Not my experience...I spent a week aboard Breakaway and had to eat every meal onboard as there were no port stops. NEVER had to wait to be seated at any dining venue at any time. MDR or Specialty. Maybe your experience onboard was different?

People in a hurry will always blow things out of proportion to get sympathy for their point of view. I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in some of the "complaints" posted on these boards.

Someone credible who is currently ON the ship has stated there are hour waits for MDR service what is there for you to dispute?

Someone credible who is currently ON the ship has stated there are hour waits for MDR service what is there for you to dispute?

Are you inferring that I'm not credible? I have been on Breakaway. I have experienced the ship...Personally. Have you or are we going to rely on your second-hand information?

BTW...There is no "dispute". I was just giving MY OPINION based on MY DIRECT EXPERIENCE AND OBSERVATIONS. That is why my original post started with "I think...". Am I not allowed to express my opinion?

Hi all!

I'm just off the May 12th sailing & did experience a wait once & received a pager. We decided to go to Taste or Savor when they opened at 5:30 & had no problems, actually got tables for 2 near the window.

I only had to wait once on Epic & they gave a pager & a free drink.;)

On Dawn last Sept we had to wait many times ( 14 day cruise) & people were ticked. I thought if I were on RCI I'd already be eating!!

I'm eager for Gambee's review & to see which ship he favours as I'm going on the Allure in Nov.

FWIW if I lived near the port I'd probably take Breakaway again to see what I missed but if I have to fly I'll wait for Getaway or do Epic again (4th time). I'm also considering Quantum as it's going to have some single cabins.

Have a nice weekend!

~ Jo ~ :)

Heh. Thought it was just me. ;)

My guess, SeaShark, is that Highboy thought you meant MDR dinner was free, like we didn't pay for it with our fare, which is how I first read what you wrote. I later decided you meant that NCL doesn't profit extra for seating us in the MDR the way it does if we go to an upcharge restraurant.

And to answer your question, I didn't have a different experience; I haven't sailed yet. I was going off Gambee and others' reports. If you sailed for a week in April, I assume you were on the TA, when the Breakaway was sailing at two-thirds' capacity. So I'm going to go with the more recent data. I wouldn't take it personally. Well, I probably would, but that doesn't mean YOU should, I'm weird like that.

No they don't. You never get a bill for the meal in the MDR. Why would you ask that? Have you been given a bill for your meal in the MDR on an NCL ship?
Yes. BEFORE I sail. :D But, no, I didn't get billed after dining in any MDR aboard NCL.

Are you inferring that I'm not credible? I have been on Breakaway. I have experienced the ship...Personally. Have you or are we going to rely on your second-hand information?

Lol....apparently you and many others who have said the same as you are not as credible as others.

The idea of people thinking about canceling a vacation because of a resturant wait times on a new ship does not make sense to me. Especially when overall the ship has been getting great reviews.

The reports from the TA is that it sailed at about 2600 passengers. Certainly not a "full" sailing. (Personally, I'm hoping my sailing is similar to that!) If you were to add an additional 2000 people to that figure, I would imagine--no matter where you are--that the wait times would get longer. Here is the conundrum for many people: If you are on a full sailing (4000+) and you want to see the 7pm show and you get to the dining room at 5:30 when they open and there is an hour wait to be seated (just giving an example, not actual data here) you would not have enough time to enjoy a meal. Not everyone has the ability to eat later or watch the late show. I like to enjoy a leisurely meal myself and do not mind what some consider "slow" service. As long as the staff is checking on us with regularity and not letting us sit there for a half hour or more without seeing how we are doing then it doesn't bother me.

For those trying to eat and see a show, wait times to get seated are important and one should not have to book at an extra fee venue to be able to do both.

The idea of people thinking about canceling a vacation because of a resturant wait times on a new ship does not make sense to me. Especially when overall the ship has been getting great reviews.

I can only speak for myself and with that, I would not and are not canceling a cruise soley due to restaurant wait times. However, slow/poor service bothers me which I experienced on the Jewel 50% of the time last year while dining in the MDR's which I was not happy with nor expected. Certainly not a new ship by any means.

Like many, I booked a cruise aboard the Breakaway when she was still being built partially based on artist renderings. She is a fine ship. No doubt. One that will make great memories for many passengers who sail her.

Bottom line. We all decide what we feel works for us and how much we are willing to pay and in return, what is expected. Not so sure the Breakaway is going to deliver for ME.

The reports from the TA is that it sailed at about 2600 passengers. Certainly not a "full" sailing. (Personally, I'm hoping my sailing is similar to that!) If you were to add an additional 2000 people to that figure, I would imagine--no matter where you are--that the wait times would get longer. Here is the conundrum for many people: If you are on a full sailing (4000+) and you want to see the 7pm show and you get to the dining room at 5:30 when they open and there is an hour wait to be seated (just giving an example, not actual data here) you would not have enough time to enjoy a meal. Not everyone has the ability to eat later or watch the late show. I like to enjoy a leisurely meal myself and do not mind what some consider "slow" service. As long as the staff is checking on us with regularity and not letting us sit there for a half hour or more without seeing how we are doing then it doesn't bother me.

For those trying to eat and see a show, wait times to get seated are important and one should not have to book at an extra fee venue to be able to do both.

Normal dining on any cruise ship early dinner for late show, late dinner after the early show.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Agreed. And as somebody pointed out, kids complicate things. I might deal with hourlong waits if I were cruising solo, but wouldn't want to subject my kid to that (or, as someone else noted, subject other passengers to my bored, hungry kid). And why should I, if, say, a Disney cruise won't have the same problem?

I just wrote down all those questions posted. I plan on getting answers later on today or tomorrow. Answers will be in the review.

Great day, super fun shore excursion. Got some amazing pictures.

I will stop by mdr today and look at wait times. Once again. Lol.

For those of you thinking about canceling, because of dinning issues. I would say don't do it. Yes right now it's a mess but they might sort it out. Also u could avoid prime hours. At 5:30 it's confirmed to be nice and uncrowded.

Another great weather day. We were told this is best weather so far this year in Bermuda. Mother Nature owed me that after what she did to me on X ;), lol just kidding.

I think Bermuda is my new favorite island. Now I can see why people come here year after year.

My neighbor is so nice, had I known he was part of cc I would had approached him. Maybe I'll him again.

If you got more questions post them fast. I'll check the Internet again in a little over an hour and most likely won't be on until my when I start the review.

For those who asked the link to the review will be posted here and in my Facebook. I will also update my signature to reflect a link as well.

As this trip comes to an end, I am so very grateful that I was able to do this. Life is too short and hard, and vacations like this make it so worth it.

Agreed. And as somebody pointed out, kids complicate things. I might deal with hourlong waits if I were cruising solo, but wouldn't want to subject my kid to that (or, as someone else noted, subject other passengers to my bored, hungry kid). And why should I, if, say, a Disney cruise won't have the same problem?

Yes, good points. We have sailed Disney and believe me, they do it right. We ate at the early seating (530) and made the early shows every night. However, Disney pricing is about double what I spend elsewhere. Sorry, but these days it is unaffordable for us. It was probably a one time only cruise unless we hit the lottery :p When you travel as a family with children it makes it more challenging to get all the schedules down. I fully intend on taking advantage of the lunch show of Cirque and the lunch comedy shows to ease the time crunch for the other dinners and shows we want to attend.

Archived