Stavanger - What to do?

We will be in Stavanger, Norway on Monday 27/8 and were wondering what there is to do there.

We've seen a trip to Lysefjord but wondered whether it is worth it or if there are other things to do?

We also wondered if you can book trips to Lysefjord once ashore. We've seen a company that runs trips but wondered if they are likely to be sold out by the time we get ashore!

Thanks

Yes, it's worth it - though probably not if it's chucking it down. Yes, you can book on shore - when I was there, there were at least 3 boats running the tour, probably 100 or so on each boat.

Of course, it depends how many people are on board. When I was last there, the ships in port were the Arcadia and the QE2 - total passengers about 3,000. If a couple fo 6,000 passenger ships are in, it might be harder.

Otherwise, the place has a fair few museums in easy walking distance.

I did the Lysefjord cruise with Rodne fjord cruise.

http://www.rodne.no

It was worth it. We enjoyed it very much. Boat is really fast, a lot of wind outside. A few stops to see mountain goats, seals and to drink water from waterfall. Fun.

They have more than one boat, so when one becomes full, you start boarding the next one. You should have no problem. Dock is 5 minutes walk from where the ship docks and you will see it when you disembark. Departures are at 10 am and 2 pm and it lasts 3 hours. Price is 400 nok pp.

I also did the petroleum museum, which I found boring, but it might be good if you are really interested in the history of petroleum in Norway.

The main church (Domkirken) is nice and it is free in the afternoon. The walk around the lake is also nice. And of course walking through old Stavanger, just beside the cruise ship pier is the nicest thing to do.

One thing I would have liked to do is the trekking to Pulpit Rock. Our ship organized an excursion, but I didn't feel 100% in shape that day, so I didn't do it. Otherwise I think it is better done with a ship's excursion because it's a long full day trip.

If the cruise company do a tour to Flor og Fjaere it is magical. It is a garden and restaurant on an island outside Stavanger. You can go for lunch or dinner and tour the garden, but the only other tours are from crusie ships.

Amazing tropical palnts so far north some photos here

Flor og Fjaere

Get in touch with Rodney cruise as above poster mentioned. If you have a roll call going, see if you can get at least 15 people, they will give you group discount. this does not include any seniors, I believe over 62?, as they actually earn a greater discount.... We ended up with a group of 17 non seniors, and it worked out to half or a little less than half of the ship excursion cost - seeing the same thing but minus the coffee and waffle stop..... If you have other Norway port stops, you will have chance to sample Norwegian waffles with preserves/jam...

For whatever it's worth (and this post is too late to serve the original poster) Stavanger was one of my favorite Norwegian ports. It's quite cosmopolitan, terrific for shopping at interesting boutiques and galleries. There's a lovely residential area (a fish factory museum is in the heart of it, worth visiting) that's right off the cruise ship pier. Definitely interesting -- Stavanger is quite prosperous these days because it's Norway's urban capital of oil platforms. Enjoy.

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

I agree, I worked there for about 6 weeks, it was freezing but quite beautiful and surprisingly I had some lovely food and drink albeit expensive!

Don't think Father Christmas would be impressed but I though Rudolph tasted delicious!;)

I had a Norwegian client this week and I was just reminiscing about it all.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

• 4 years later...