How would you feel if Princess upgraded you from a balcony to a Window Suite?

burm

I'd love a WS. A balcony is no longer as attractive to me with the new, rock hard furniture that you can't sit on comfortably. No more relaxing on a balcony unless you have the old furniture. Even putting a pillow on the chair to sit on didn't help much. :(

You're right about the furniture. I just bring the bottle out with me. Helps a lot.;)

I'd love a WS. A balcony is no longer as attractive to me with the new, rock hard furniture that you can't sit on comfortably. No more relaxing on a balcony unless you have the old furniture. Even putting a pillow on the chair to sit on didn't help much. :(

I agree & while I've never had a WS, I would gladly give up a balcony for a window suite because having an upgrade is the only way I'll ever experience a suite.

If you book a mini or balcony guarantee then they can move you to any higher category, no?

There have been several recent threads about an additional upgrade option besides 'none' or 'any' & now there's a 3rd option to only accept a different type of cabin such as from a balcony to a mini-suite. This option eliminates 'upgrades' that are merely in the same type of cabin in a different location which for some could be a 'downgrade' by being in a less desirable location. Although if booking a guarantee the 3rd option may not be best. If I had a GTY & was assigned a larger Caribe deck balcony, I'd then select the no upgrade option because I enjoy them more than a mini-suite.

What is an upgrade? After 20 cruises I haven't seen one, but I would love a suite. I can always sit out on deck to read or eat or sleep.

Don't feel bad, we've never seen an upgrade on any cruise we have been on. We are on a guaranty balcony unobstructed view. I told Princess we don't care where we are located - just nothing obstructing our view. I don't expect an upgrade, just expect what we paid for.

Were you given a choice?

Hawaii seems like prime balcony territory to me. :confused:

Yes we had a choice. The first two days it was too cold for anyone to sit on a balcony and with rough seas water in the pool was like a wave pool. It got better as we reached the islands, but with excessive rain still no reason for a balcony. As to the cruise..Wonderful..We spent time learning from Eula, and the naturalist on board was fantastic. I would love to take this cruise again, but doubt I will ever get an upgrade like this

I wouldn't be happy because call it "suite", it is still just an inside cabin to me without any outdoor space. We are sailing on the Golden to Hawaii this fall in an Emerald deck mini and the reason we marked our booking "no upgrade of any kind" was our fear of being upgraded to a window suite. The balcony is worth more to me than a somewhat larger sitting area than we have in a mini. The suite perks do not interest us since we get most of them already as elite members.

What is an upgrade? After 20 cruises I haven't seen one, but I would love a suite. I can always sit out on deck to read or eat or sleep.
I've been upgraded only once and that was after 20 Princess cruises from a BD balcony on Baja to an AA mini on Dolphin deck. I enjoyed the extra space but really preferred my BD location. Princess once "upgraded" me from an AD mini to an AC at the very front of Dolphin deck even though my booking was linked to my sister next door. Fortunately, my TA was able to get it back.

Don't think I would like the switch from balcony to WS, I like the balcony. We will be on the Coral in a couple months and I put a "no upgrade" note on our reservation, we booked one of the balconys on Emerald aft of the elevatiors, understand the balconys are larger there , so we are happy where we are. Have been on many Princess ships , but this will be our first time on Coral , so interested to see how we like the different layout with the Horizon Court in the bow , will have to walk further for our Ice tea and lemonade and cookies in the afternoon. :)

Cori

I wouldn't accept an upgrade to a WS even if it's from a true lower category. When I was booking our previous cruise, the only cabin types left were obstructed OVs and WSs, so I picked the OV because it was less money. When we were on the Golden and checking out the ship, we did go by the WS area and the hallway really stank from the proximity of the cigar bar. My hubby was glad I'd selected the OV (which we really liked anyway). So for us, as we never get balconies, it's not just a matter of getting suite amenities or extra space...we just couldn't see having to hold our breath everytime we left our cabin.

I was just looking at a return on the Golden Princess and the only category left for the sailing is the WS. So maybe others feel the same.

On another thread, we have been discussing dubious upgrades and the new ability to request an upgrade only to a higher category, such as a balcony to a mini suite as opposed to a higher grade balcony in what Princess considers to be a superior location but we might not.

Someone wondered about the possibility of ending up in a Window Suite, to some a wonderful upgrade from a standard balcony, to others like myself a move that would have me pretty upset. I need my balcony!

So, people, would you be happy to move from a typical balcony cabin to a more spacious and luxurious suite WITH NO BALCONY?

My DW would love it, I would rather keep my caribe balcony. I live for sitting and having coffee or wine on my balcony.

Just off the Golden this morning - will write a review when I get home - but I did want to comment on the Window Suites.... I LOVED IT!!!! i have always gotten a balcony and wondered if I would be sad not to have one for Alaska. The answer is no....I would book that room again in a split second. In fact, I don't want a balcony if a WS is available. Spacious, decorated in cream colors and the bathrrom is fabulous. I would consider it to be a great upgrade from any category.

Don't think I would like the switch from balcony to WS, I like the balcony. We will be on the Coral in a couple months and I put a "no upgrade" note on our reservation, we booked one of the balconys on Emerald aft of the elevatiors, understand the balconys are larger there , so we are happy where we are. Have been on many Princess ships , but this will be our first time on Coral , so interested to see how we like the different layout with the Horizon Court in the bow , will have to walk further for our Ice tea and lemonade and cookies in the afternoon. :)

Cori

We had one of the aft Emerald balconies on the Coral for a partial transit Panama Canal. As I remember, the balcony is mini-suite size and fully covered. Nice cabin location and nice balcony.

welcome home!

just off the golden this morning - will write a review when i get home - but i did want to comment on the window suites.... I loved it!!!! I have always gotten a balcony and wondered if i would be sad not to have one for alaska. The answer is no....i would book that room again in a split second. In fact, i don't want a balcony if a ws is available. Spacious, decorated in cream colors and the bathrrom is fabulous. I would consider it to be a great upgrade from any category.

Just off the Golden this morning - will write a review when I get home - but I did want to comment on the Window Suites.... I LOVED IT!!!! i have always gotten a balcony and wondered if I would be sad not to have one for Alaska. The answer is no....I would book that room again in a split second. In fact, I don't want a balcony if a WS is available. Spacious, decorated in cream colors and the bathrrom is fabulous. I would consider it to be a great upgrade from any category.

So glad to hear that you loved your cabin!:)

We had one of the aft Emerald balconies on the Coral for a partial transit Panama Canal. As I remember, the balcony is mini-suite size and fully covered. Nice cabin location and nice balcony.

Oh good thanks so much for the information, that is good to hear. We will be going through the canal as well. This will be our third time through the canal but the last two times it was just an oceanview cabin , so I think the balcony will be nice. Our daughter and a traveling friend are going on the Coral through the canal in Oct. also and they also booked one of the Emeral aft area cabins with the larger balcony , so I will tell her as well. Thanks again for the information.

Cori

Oh good thanks so much for the information, that is good to hear. We will be going through the canal as well. This will be our third time through the canal but the last two times it was just an oceanview cabin , so I think the balcony will be nice. Our daughter and a traveling friend are going on the Coral through the canal in Oct. also and they also booked one of the Emeral aft area cabins with the larger balcony , so I will tell her as well. Thanks again for the information.

Cori

View from our balcony passing through the Canal. We were in E626 and those are the heads of DBIL and DSIL in E624.

DSC01188.JPG

I wouldn't like it. While it must be nice to have the extra cabin room and those nice suite perks, I love having a balcony. Losing a balcony for the above wouldn't make it worth it to me.

I totally agree. A window suite would be just like being in a hotel room. I would take the smallest cabin with balcony over the largest suite without one.

On our last cruise, I woke up at sunrise, and as I approached the balcony I saw dolphins leaping high within a few feet of me! I knew that if I took time to set up a camera they would be gone, so I just opened the doors and quietly enjoyed the moment. They gave me a private acrobatic show for about two minutes and disappeared.

In March Priness asked if we would want to upgrade from Mini suite to Window Suite. This was not a free offer, I forget how much it would have cost. We turned it down.

Steve

How far in advance of your cruise did they ask you about the WS? Were you marked as a "No Upgrade"? Or a Meta Upgrade" for your Mini? I'm glad to know they ask;)

Archived