Ashes sprinkled at sea: Yea or Nay?

CanWeGoYet?

I sprinkled my mother's ashes in the Ft. Lauderdale beach as the waves rolled out. My friend sprinkled her father's ashes on the edge of the NFL playing field as he was a big fan. I am concerned that if you sprinkle them on the actual ship, if that is what you are thinking, I think they will just sweep them away and they will go in the trash. Human ashes look more like kitty litter than cigarette ashes.

No, no I won't have someone scatter ashes on a cruise ship. I did think that one through - spending eternity in a vacuum cleaner bag would not be the goal. ;)

Thanks people for posting on the eccentric thread. Just wondering if anyone else ponders these things & it sounds like many do. Something a little different but still connected to the cruise obsession most of us have.

if i am understanding you, you would rather be left of the ship and not sprinkled on the sea.

But i like your concept of going on many cruises :D if possible.

Pretty much yep you got it. Just me thinking, um no, I love being on the cruise ship, not so sure about that wide wide expanse of open sea. I think I would be ok with a beautiful sea shore - just not huge deep dark sea.

I understand exactly what you're saying. You've considered the idea of having your ashes scattered at sea, but decided against it. I'm kind of with you on this one.

I love cruising, but it's more about the experience of cruising per se. Love the ocean, but not sure I'd want my ashes scattered into the open sea.

As for my loved ones getting together on a cruise afterwards, that's definitely a great idea and it would be a perfect way to honor my memory, knowing it was something I loved so much!

Thanks for such a thought provoking topic!

Thank you! You nailed it. Now if I could just leave behind enough $ for my son to be well set for life, and have my wake or memorial be having whatever loved ones who can, all get together on a cruise & give me a send off that way. If I could do that, give that sort of gift to the loved ones I have left - that would be ideal. Just blow soap bubbles for me at sail away (like I always do) and toast me with a cocktail.

"I've been reading quite a bit on the topic. How "wildcat" scattering is becoming more common -which is the process of scattering the cremains surreptitiously, without authorization. I came across an article describing how one fairly young widow (40) took tiny amounts of her husbands ashes & scattered them at all the places he wanted to travel but never had a chance to. And she also gave some of the ashes to friends who were traveling places, if they were willing to help with the mission. To anyone curious, here's a link to the article. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703422904575039280799336638.html"

Just had to comment on the comment about the young widow quoted above...my son wrote his first novel several years ago titled "Fifty Handfuls" which is the story of a young widow who does just that!

I too want to be cremated and my family go on a cruise and have already put this into place in my will. I also like the idea of being put somewhere on a cruise ship and sailing forever. I wish cruise ships would look into this. Glad to know there are others out there thinking like me!!

What happens when the ship is sold???? for scrap metal that is.......

I am a water baby I think. Spread my ashes where the water is... so peaceful, and have had sooooooooooooo much fun sailing them. I hope this doesn't happen for a long time, but if it does:eek: my family knows where I belong:D

What happens when the ship is sold???? for scrap metal that is.......

Good point. I guess IF cruise lines ever do start marketing the "sail forever" option, they'll need to agree to move the vials of ashes to a different ship when the selected one gets decommissioned.

When my parents passed, all 5 of us children purchased small "mini urns" and filled each with the ashes of both. We take the little urns with us when we go special places and have, as others said, spread bits of them in their favorite places.

Archived