Getting to Jost Van Dyke on your own

ComeSailWithME

• 3 weeks later...

I believe New Horizons is out of St. Thomas. If your cruise ship port is there, I used VIBE charters to get to Tortola. It is a little pricey, but I enjoyed the day. You can find their website easily. If you are arriving in Tortola to get to JVD, there are several companies that take passengers to JVD. I've only travelled to JVD from St. Thomas, so I can't recommend anyone.

• 1 month later...

It's been a few years ago, but we took the local ferry from Tortola to Jost Van Dyke first thing in the morning fresh off the cruise ship. The locals were all inside the ferry cabin and we couldn't understand why they weren't out on deck with us to enjoy the beautiful weather. Once out of the cove, we discovered why. Instantly we hit huge waves which nearly knocked us overboard - the four of us literally crawled to the stairs leading inside. We were all completely drenched - I'm sure the locals were having a hard time restraining their amusement. We were just glad we survived! Once there, we walked about 10 minutes to Foxy's. It was too early for anyone to be there except shop's owner and bartender. We enjoyed a few hours on the beach - beautiful - but had to catch the ferry back early afternoon to make sure we didn't miss the ship. Beware of that ferry ride!

Archived