Carnival Cruise Formal Night

Hi everyone. I will set sail on my first cruise in 12 days! It will just be myself and a (girl)friend. We had decided we weren't going to do the formal night(s), but last night we decided we might attend one, so i'm freaking out a little in trying to find something in my closet that is 'formal' enough and would love some opinions.

http://www.dressbarn.com/detail/solid-belted-pleat-neck-dress/101071850/500

I have a dress that looks almost identical to this, but it is red. With a pair of black stockings and black pumps, will this be fancy enough?

Thanks for any help!

Hi everyone. I will set sail on my first cruise in 12 days! It will just be myself and a (girl)friend. We had decided we weren't going to do the formal night(s), but last night we decided we might attend one, so i'm freaking out a little in trying to find something in my closet that is 'formal' enough and would love some opinions.

I have a dress that looks almost identical to this, but it is red. With a pair of black stockings and black pumps, will this be fancy enough?

Thanks for any help!

First of all don't panic, you will see all sorts of clothing on formal night. IMO, generally speaking the women make more effort than the men but you will see Tuxedos and suits on some of the guys too.

However for me I would wear something like the dress in the picture to a regular evening in the MDR and for the formal night, a full length or something a little more "fancy" in cocktail length if you are not comfortable in a full length for formal night.

This is all subjective and others will say absolutely yes it is formal enough. I say it isn't but the bottom line is wear what you feel comfortable in.

Thanks for any help!

Carnival is very laid back, BUT, you will see anything and everything, from long gowns to short dresses. I always wear a glitzy top and those flowy fly away pants, dressed up with blingy shoes and accessories. Don't worry, you will look fine, enjoy!!!

Thanks for any help!

Yes, It will be fine for formal night just add some jewelry ! You will see everything on formal night from long gowns ( a few ) to black pants with sparkly tops and lots of women in dresses like yours so go & enjoy .

Thank you for making the effort!! I don't sail much on Carnival because I prefer Celebrity, but I really appreciate it when people dress up on formal nights. Very seldom do we have opportunities to see people dressed for real elegance. My DW and I wear formals and tuxedos (I'm the one in the tuxedo). I believe that people should wear what they want (within reason), but I am grateful for whatever elegance and grace is brought into this world. Thank you. Jerry of Jerry and Kathy

While I enjoy wearing a long gown on formal nights, I have no problem with anyone wearing something like what you have pictured.

What is most important to me, is the attitude people bring to the table. I like people to be friendly and pleasant to speak with. Actually, I enjoy that EVERY night in the MDR!!

BTW, I like that dress!

Thank you all for your sweet responses! I went look at Ross today to see if I could find anything long for a decent price and found this dress for $30! I'm assuming this would be better? It is actually VERY comfortable. It is a red red, not orangey or anything.

th_Cruise1.jpg

th_Cruise2.jpg

th_Cruise3.jpg

Now my friend is trying to back out and not wear something as formal and i'm scared of looking overdressed next to her, but oh well! :p

Thank you all for your sweet responses! I went look at Ross today to see if I could find anything long for a decent price and found this dress for $30! I'm assuming this would be better? It is actually VERY comfortable. It is a red red, not orangey or anything.

th_Cruise1.jpg

th_Cruise2.jpg

th_Cruise3.jpg

Now my friend is trying to back out and not wear something as formal and i'm scared of looking overdressed next to her, but oh well! :p

Perfect and fits you very well! Plus, I love the color:)

Love the long dress! If your friend is less dressy just dress it down. Maybe instead of heels wear flat sandals with some glitz on them. Bring a less formal looking bag...or....who cares if shes less dressed than you! Just have fun.

I would take both dresses and participate in both elegant nights.

If your friend has a black dress she can dress it up to look more elegant. She doesn't have to wear a long dress.

And she can wear the same dress for both elegant nights, just change up the accessories.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Archived