Epic cabin question

OttawaJohn

Just booked for Nov 16, 2013! Will be a nice 5 year anniversary with my wife.

We booked cabin 8047, anyone been in it? Just looking to know more about the Epic cabins, lots of options I noticed.

I read about people worrying about if it's covered (which I guess it just does it have a roof?) and if there are protrusions/obstructions.

Anyone know?

Also, I noticed the slides seem to go into the main pool. I've not been able to find a good picture of the ship to see how the pool is setup, but do the slides interfere? Can you do a nice dip in the pool without people causing waves from the slide all the time?

Edited by OttawaJohn

Also, I noticed the slides seem to go into the main pool. I've not been able to find a good picture of the ship to see how the pool is setup, but do the slides interfere? Can you do a nice dip in the pool without people causing waves from the slide all the time?

Slides do not go into the pool. They are separate.

Edited by jdvmd

SDMike has a thread on here about covered and uncovered balconies. You can do a search and find it or just find one of his post's, I believe there is a link to his signature.

Like the previous poster said, the slides do not go in the main pool.

I have a link to the pictures I took on the Epic in my signature.

We booked cabin 8047, anyone been in it? Just looking to know more about the Epic cabins, lots of options I noticed.

I read about people worrying about if it's covered (which I guess it just does it have a roof?) and if there are protrusions/obstructions.

Anyone know?

Hey OttawaJohn!

Come join us on our roll call...couple of Canucks already booked with you :)

If you haven't seen this yet, Lusitanica previously posted this pic of 8047 looking from the outside of the ship:

NCL gives contradictory info, but IMO 8047 is covered and located as shown.

Yes, it's complemented with a huge lifeboat. :mad:

8047v.jpg

Is overlooking the lifeboat OK with you? Sounds like lusitanica wasn't impressed :rolleyes:

Hope you both have a wonderful anniversary cruise :)

Hmmm, good question on the lifeboat... will have to ask my wife :)

We chose the 8th deck because we find the swaying to high after 10 normally for our comfort, but view is important as well.

Thanks!

Edited by OttawaJohn

Well damn, now that I've read her full review, I'm re-evaluating if the Epic is the right boat! My wife and I love quiet time, relaxing, enjoying the sea... Epic looks crowded, cramped with no real great spots for sea watching and lifeboats under my balcony!

Have to think about this some more...

Well damn, now that I've read her full review, I'm re-evaluating if the Epic is the right boat! My wife and I love quiet time, relaxing, enjoying the sea... Epic looks crowded, cramped with no real great spots for sea watching and lifeboats under my balcony!

I don't want to speak ill of the departed (from this board) but please do not let "L's" review be the one to scare you away from the Epic.

SDMike has much unbiased Epic information in his signature. Photos, links to reviews etc.

As for the deck 8 balcony directly above life boat - it wouldn't be my choice. I don't care for the life boats that stick out on any of the newer ships and deck 8 looks just to close. Our answer - we sailed in stern balcony 10318 and were very happy with our choice. There was some vibration especially when pulling into port but not enough to be a problem.

This stateroom has a bigger balcony and we were able to have a lounger as well as the normal two chairs and tiny table. There was actually room for two loungers but we didn't need them so appreciated the extra standing room. I can't figure out how to post photos from my mac so here is link to shutterfly album showing this stateroom, balcony and adjacent "secret stairs" that I used for my port side viewing area.

http://kjquiltsphotos.shutterfly.com/

Epic shines in the entertainment and food choice areas. It did not feel crowded although there were a lot of passengers. We enjoyed the adults only pool deck area. One week on Epic was not enough to experience all she offered.

I think the new ships Breakaway and Getaway are going to be wonderful - looks like they'll include everything we love on Epic with more sea viewing access.

I don't want to speak ill of the departed (from this board) but please do not let "L's" review be the one to scare you away from the Epic.

SDMike has much unbiased Epic information in his signature. Photos, links to reviews etc.

Phew, so glad that someone pointed this out. Yes, the Epic did not get glowing reviews right out of the gate including someone's personal opinion of the ship;)

I noticed that you have found SDMike's signature as well - please read his review as well and Don's review (DGP1111) to get their views of the ship as well. Epic is a great ship IMHO. There is so much to do.

As for deck 8, I probably would not book a balcony on that deck myself. The higher you go, the less obtrusive the lifeboats. We were on deck 12 and have booked that deck again for our upcoming cruise. I seem to have the opposite reaction to most about motion - the higher up I am, the less I feel it. Go figure!

I do hope that you will read other reviews. Please don't base your decision on one person's point of view and that is all that the famous 'L' stated.

Here is my signature for easy reference :p

I have found that the drag and drop deckplans have been moved and I can't find a new "back door" to them. Bummer. If anyone finds them, let me know so I can post the link. I love that tool

Edited by sdmike

Here is my signature for easy reference :p

I have found that the drag and drop deckplans have been moved and I can't find a new "back door" to them. Bummer. If anyone finds them, let me know so I can post the link. I love that tool

Mike, is this the drag it decks link you were looking for ?

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/dragit2.php?ship=Norwegian%20Epic

Mike, is this the drag it decks link you were looking for ?

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/dragit2.php?ship=Norwegian%20Epic

Yes! Funny, they're working again! The last few days my link (the same link) was giving a file not found error and dropping me back on their main site. Glad they didn't move it and were just having technical problems.

Thanks!

Anyone know?

I have nothing else to add, but that we're also going on Epic next year, December 7th sailing, and it will also be our 5th anniversary as well.

We're on deck 10 and have a balcony too.

Is overlooking the lifeboat OK with you? Sounds like lusitanica wasn't impressed :rolleyes:

Gee, I meant lusitanica wasn't impressed with that cabin(8047) looking over the lifeboats, didn't remember there was a bad ship review from them too. :o

OP we are sailing the Epic in January for the first time, and can't wait to experience her. I also love sdmike's reviews and links and have read and reread all the info many times. Talk about getting enthused - look through the Dailies and see all the choices there are on this ship :

Dailies

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1550092

My vote (not that I have one LOL) is that you continue with your anniversary reservation on the Epic :D

Edited by SeaHunt

Thanks all for your feedback and thoughts. One reason I love this board if the helpful people :)

Read a few more reviews and we decided to flip to the Pearl. We loved that ship before, and for our anniversary, returning to our first ship seemed appropriate.

The Epic, not sure, same with the Oasis, just seems to big and busy for us. We're quiet people from Canada, don't like to much noise and glitter :)

One day we may do Epic but right now, I think we'll return to the Pearl.

Hi OttawaJohn, whom I assume is in the Ottawa, Ont., area, I'm about 20 min. outside the city. My husband & I were on the Epic last Mar and I've rebooked this coming Mar this time in a Owners Suite.....I'm telling my husband we got a really good deal :p I've pasted the link to a website by Arron Saunders who did a blog etc on his Epic Eastern Carribbean trip with many nice photos. I'm doing the same cruise again this coming year....I think I actually only saw 1/2 the ship last cruise :). Even though we were part of the Haven & could have eaten in the Epic Club, other than the Cagney's Steak House twice & Moderno's once we were great fan's of the buffet :p

http://avidcruiser.com/ftdc/2012/03/03/norwegian-epic-live-voyage-report-day-1/

I be Ottawa, ON yes :)

And I will keep reading all the reviews and who knows, maybe we'll go our next cruise. For now, we're keen on the Pearl so I think we'll keep it. Already planning for a nice dolphin swim in Cozumel :)

• 5 years later...
We are booked in room 8047. How was the room for you? Is the balcony covered? I see it may be partially covered? Could you look down to the water or were the life boats in the way?

If you use the link provided in post 14 to go to drag it decks for the Epic and line up decks 8 and 9 by using the elevators it appears that 8047 balcony is either totally covered or mostly covered by the balcony above it. You will not have a view directly down to the water because of the second lifeboat is below you.

Here is link to a youtube video that gives good exterior view (you may have to copy and paste into browser).