Booking for someone else?

roger001

Ok...for those who have....if I wish to book an NCL cruise for my granddaughter and her husband, how to do so? I want to (well....don't really want to...but being the nice guy I am...guess I will) wish to pay all, everything, the whole bit. Can I use my credit card for their on board account and leave it open to cover the account in full....how? Or can I prepay a big amount of OBC before the cruise and then get a credit card refund for what is not used....hopefully some not used.....maybe? Can I do a booking with my NCL account and then insert their names as guests, with all the appropriate info? Or do I just do a new booking for new guests and it starts an account for them? Just thinking.

Ok...for those who have....if I wish to book an NCL cruise for my granddaughter and her husband, how to do so? I want to (well....don't really want to...but being the nice guy I am...guess I will) wish to pay all, everything, the whole bit. Can I use my credit card for their on board account and leave it open to cover the account in full....how? Or can I prepay a big amount of OBC before the cruise and then get a credit card refund for what is not used....hopefully some not used.....maybe? Can I do a booking with my NCL account and then insert their names as guests, with all the appropriate info? Or do I just do a new booking for new guests and it starts an account for them? Just thinking.

You certainly can book and pay for them. I have booked for friends a few times (they paid me back though lol). I did it by phone with my TA and I'm certain NCL would have no problem doing it either. I assume you know their full legal names, date of birth, etc.?

While I do not think you can have their on board purchases put on your credit card (unless you are traveling with them) You can pre-pay their DSC and order them as much OBC as you'd like. Heck, you can even pre book and pre pay for specialty dining.

I think any unused credit may be credited back to your credit card, but I'm not sure, they may mail your granddaughter a check.

If you're ever looking for someone else to spoil.....;-)

You're nicer than I am :D. We paid for both of our kids to go on a cruise for their honeymoons, but we only paid for the cruise itself -- not the onboard charges.

Booking a cruise for someone else and paying for it is not a problem at all. As the previous poster mentioned, I'm pretty sure you can prepay for the DSC and then buy them some onboard credit to use. Just make sure they have a credit card available in case it doesn't cover quite all their charges. Personally, I wouldn't want to give someone an open-ended expense budget, so I think you'd be better off to limit it with a set OBC amount so they understand what their limit is. The ship's shore excursions are also payable in advance these days, so you could pay for any of those in advance too.

No idea if this applies or not, but if it is a honeymoon cruise, make sure you book your granddaughter's reservations in the name her passport is issued under. What a nice grandpa you are!!

Thanks y'all. No...no honeymoon. In fact, I'm great grandpa twice already because of them. I know what you mean about an open credit card. However, sometimes, doing so can assist the receiving couple in recognizing and demonstrating some personal responsibility regarding the trust being placed with them. And then of course....it could mean me having to go get another job to pay my credit card bill. Sorry about further adoptions. Already a long family line waiting....but I'll keep you in mind.

I know you won't be able to give your credit card for the onboard account unless you are sailing with them. You can pay for the cruise, prepay the daily service charge and purchase onboard credits as well as other little goodies from Bon Voyage.

You can also get an American Express Serve card or something similar for them to use. They will be able to use it and you can monitor the usage and set any limits you may want to set.

Debit cards are not like credit cards and there will need to be a set amount in the account for each person. NCL usually wants $100 a per person day though some have been able to negotiate down the amount.

Thanks y'all. No...no honeymoon. In fact, I'm great grandpa twice already because of them. I know what you mean about an open credit card. However, sometimes, doing so can assist the receiving couple in recognizing and demonstrating some personal responsibility regarding the trust being placed with them. And then of course....it could mean me having to go get another job to pay my credit card bill. Sorry about further adoptions. Already a long family line waiting....but I'll keep you in mind.

Well since I'm already a grandma to 4, I guess I'm a little old for adoption anyway :D. You sound like you have a very good heart, my mom was like that. When the grandchildren told her "grandma you don't have to do that, enjoy your money", she would stay "oh I am and I have everything I need or want. But since in the end you all are going to get it anyway, I want to least have the joy of seeing you enjoy it".

Debit cards are not like credit cards and there will need to be a set amount in the account for each person. NCL usually wants $100 a per person day though some have been able to negotiate down the amount.

The Serve card is not treated like a debit card it is processed like a charge card and has better features than most prepaid cards (prepaid visa/mastercard) it just allows for greater control over the charging privileges. There are also multiple ways to fund the card meaning it doesn't have to tie up actual cash like a debit card.

Well since I'm already a grandma to 4, I guess I'm a little old for adoption anyway :D. You sound like you have a very good heart, my mom was like that. When the grandchildren told her "grandma you don't have to do that, enjoy your money", she would stay "oh I am and I have everything I need or want. But since in the end you all are going to get it anyway, I want to least have the joy of seeing you enjoy it".

I think that says it pretty well........or I guess they will get the little left after NCL....a fellow just has to prioritize.

Archived