Buying Beer

sra12574

I know the liquor stores dont let you take liqour from the stores that it gets delivered back to the ship but what about beer . Do the liquor stores sell beers in six packs for consumption on the island ? Also as a follow up what happens if you have a few beers left when you return to the ship? Do they make you check your beers till the end of the cruise or will they let you take it back to your room ? Ive seen some posts that say if it isnt a large amount that they will let you take it back but those were older posts. I'm interested in trying Caybrews White tip Lager.

The liquor stores near the port cater mostly to duty free purchases. You need to go to a store further away, perhaps along Seven Mile Beach, to buy beer for consumption on island. Big Daddy's and Blackbeard's have store locations in the corridor. Or if you are renting a car and driving about you can stop in for a brewery tour and buy straight from the source.

Caybrew is sold at most bars and their White Tip Lager has proven popular. Their initial production runs of White Tip were solely in cans or kegs but they have just started bottling it too.

I had a couple Caybrews at Hammerheads the last time I was there. unfortnately they did not have any White Tip Lager when I was there. I'm a scuba diver and I love sharks , the fact that a portion of the sales goes to conservation is definately a plus for me and i'm not against trying another beer . I probably wont make it down to 7 mile beach because I'm going to do a dive or two at eden Rock and Devils Grotto . a friend wanted me to bring them back a bottle or can as a souvenir too so I was hoping to buy a six pack have a few and maybe save one for that purpose before hopping the tender back to the ship.

Check the rules before you start buying and drinking beer anywhere....many beaches do NOT allow alcohol on the beach....you may have to go to a restaurant/bar to drink, so just bringing your own could get you into trouble.

A guidebook will list which beaches allow you to bring alcohol onto the beach.

• 3 weeks later...

The last two times we were in port we grabbed a taxi and headed to 7 Mile beach. On the way we have had the driver pull into a liquor store (small place on left just as you exit the port/downtown area) and have bought a case of beer and a bag of ice which we then put into a collapsable cooler we brought along. We brought the cooler onto the public beach and have not had any issues. Last time we did this was in 2009, perhaps alcohol on beach rules have changed since then.

When we were there last year someone in our group bought beer and we just met up with them and stood there and had a few while we waited to board the tender boat. We weren't in a hurry and no one cared that we were drinking beer on the street.

Archived