Is a 11 day cruise too long for a first time?

thomsoad

I think you'll really enjoy an 11 day cruise... on the shorter ones it seems that as soon as you settle in and start relaxing it's almost over... but be aware that on cruises longer than a week the passenger "make up" is usually a little older (you didn't mention which cruise line?) and nightlife (ie: disco) is pretty quiet.

My first cruise was Panamal Canal from Sd to FL. It was 15 nights on Dawn Princess. Bring your camera and get your passport. You may find you like it and book another.

Some people suggestion the shorter cruises of 4-5 days so as not to waste money if you don't like it. I always suggest at least 7 so that you get at least one-two sea days and several different ports. I think you will be hooked after this one.

Cruising isn't for everyone, although I love it. And not every line or every itinerary is for everyone. Some people like lots of sea days, others lots of ports. Some like traditional dining, others like open seating. Etc.

I'd recommend a 7 day cruise to start just in case you find that cruising or the itinerary or the line aren't right for you.

We were pondering the same thing b4 our first cruise. We almost did a 3 day coastal, that would have been a big mistake. We did a 7 and since have done and/or booked: 8, 10, 12, 14 day cruises.

Do you like to read, play board games, cards, dance, eat, drink, nap in the afternoon, join in group activities, swim, sightsee, learn new crafts, gamble, play bingo, visit new places, exercises of any type, walk, jog, run, play basketball, golf, ping ping, paddle board, shuffleboard, did I ask eat? meet new people, see beautiful sunsets?

If you answered yes to 3 or more of these questions do the 11 day cruise!.............:D

Cruising isn't for everyone is the key phrase here. I REALLY wanted to like cruising, but I've found that it is not for me. I like the water and I like the ports, but I HATE the boat. And if something goes wrong with the boat, like my trip, then you'll REALLY hate the boat. It's amazing how much water there is out there... my wife and I were SO happy to get off the boat and back home. We may try another cruise on a larger boat with more time in port, but it is completely outta my system right now. It's so funny, b/c if you read my posts before I went, I couldn't wait to go. Now, I'm SO glad to be back. I think the ship makes all the difference. Good luck.

Our first cruise was a 7 night trip from NYC to Bermuda. Our second one was a weekend 3 nighter that was supposed to go from Miami to Nassau. Hurricane Jeanne changed that. We floated around for 3 days. An 11 night cruise might be a long cruise for a first time cruiser. If you find you love cruising, then you'll do just fine. The problem lies in whether someone in your party doesn't like it. Then they would feel stuck on the cruise unless you contact the captain and make arrangements to get off and fly home. I can't really see that happening though. Depending on where you really want to go, there are 4 and 5 day cruises too. Three days would be too fast unless you wound up like us being on the ship for all 4 days/3 nights. A 7 nighter might be a little long for a first timer, but a 4 night or 5 night would be good to start with. It's so much nicer having ports to get out and walk around. And that might be the deciding factor. Getting off the ship in many ports would mean less time on the ship, making an 11 night cruise enjoyable.

IMO you should go for the 11 day cruise. My first cruise was 14 nights with seven sea-days and I found it almost to short to really get the feeling. If you have only a couple of days, you embark, look around and already have to leave again.

Yet, you should take some time before to decide about itenerary and cruise line /ship. If you are a Cunard type and end up on Carnival you might have a hard time and vice versa. In that case even 4 days can be a very long time.

Thus find out what your imagination of "a cruise" is and which option fits best. A good travel agent can help as well as the reviews and messages here on Cruise Critic.

I would stick with something a bit shorter than an 11 day if you are having doubts about how much you are going to love cruising. If you hate it, you are stuck on a long miserable trip. If you do an 11 day pick your ship and itinerary carefully and maybe do a port extensive cruise so they are not a lot of sea days in a row.

When I got married, my wife wanted to go on a cruise for our honeymoon. I had never done a cruise and I didn't want to. I wanted to do a theme park honeymoon (stupid idea now that I think about it). So we comprimised and went on a 7 night caribbean cruise and followed it by 4 theme park nights. If I could go back and change it, I would have rather gone on a longer cruise. So my only reason to NOT do the 11 night as opposed to 7 nights is that if you do another one, you might be disappointed with only 7 nights.

I'd recommend a 7 day to start, just in case you don't LOVE IT

Our first two cruises were 7 days, then a 10, then a 14 last summer, and we have a 7 coming up this fall. I expect to be disappointed in it ending so quickly, but we couldn't find a longer one that fit our schedules/pocketbooks, so this will have to do.

Did 15 days on my very first cruise and loved the length. In fact have just booked another 15 day for January 2006. You will be just fine with the 11 days.

There is always plenty to do both on and off ship. Bring a book and bring a journal to record every day of the journey. Lots of fun and memories for generations to come.

We are looking to do a 11 day Southern Caribean cruise. Is this too long for a first time?

Probably. If you hate it or it makes you sick, you'll be stuck & miserable. No matter what kind of a deal you got, the vacation will have been too expensive in hindsight. :(

If you love cruising 11 days won't be enough, but just in case, I'd opt for something shorter 1st. My 1st cruise was a 4 night trip. It was a great taste & I wanted more, but I learned that I HATE sea days. Others will tell you they are the best parts of the trip. It's all a matter of taste & nobody on these boards can tell you yours.

Enjoy, whatever you do.

Thomsoad,

We're just back from and 11 day Southern Caribbean-too long? No way, we just love the four full sea days and the six ports of call gave us a variety of island experiences. Read some of the many threads on these boards as you explore your options, as there is a wealth of information from avid cruisers. Have a great time and be sure to port a review when you get back.

I think 11 days is a bit too long for a first cruise. It wouldnt have been too much for me or my kids, but on our first cruise, my DH got antsy after only 4 or 5 days, and was happy to get off the boat after our 7 day cruise was over. Its a very individual thing, but I'd recommend starting out with something a little shorter.

Thomsoad - I have booked an 11 day cruise in January 06. It will be my first cruise in 20 years and my DH's first ever. 11 other friends and family members have also booked the cruise and are going with us. 9 of those are first time cruisers. We booked the 11 days because it was port intensive and we wanted to go to multiple locations. In looking at the 7 day cruises, it seemed as though there were only a couple of ports and more sea days in comparison. I think the 11 day will be fine for you. It appears there is so much to do onboard and with more ports to visit I don't think you will feel trapped. Plus it just seems like a better bargain for the money. Whatever you decide, have a great time!!!!:D

Go for it! Don't believe for an instant that a first time cruiser will be happier on a 7 day cruise.

I'd love to do an 11 day cruise, or longer, add to the fact it's the S. Caribbean, what fun. I've only been on 7 cruises so far, none of them to the Caribbean (yet), but after years reading these boards, I would have to do the same type of cruise you have chosen. Mainly because I think of the vast crowds of the "typical" east and west itineraries, the southern route couldn't possibly have as many ships in each port. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong. DH and I will get off and go in the opposite direction of the crowd every time.

It does depend on what type of personality you have, too. If you like R&R, pool time, really getting to read a good book, meeting new people from all over the world, plus a lot of organized activities, you will love cruising. There will be a gym, spa and many times classes onboard. Add the fact that you stop at beautiful islands for a day of exploration, heck, even 11 days doesn't sound like enough time.

• 3 weeks later...

Also debating between 7 night on rccl voyager and rccl empress 11 night to southern carib. I figure, the boat is less grand than before ment. ship but you have a port to go to almost every day!! it's like 9 islands so worst case scenario if your gonna get sick, its at night!! Almost all the days you'll be at port on land. I get severe motion sickness and want to try cruising. So if I'm gonna do it, I may as well see as many islands as possible at one time. Also, 7 days seems so short to me. The longer cruises let you see the sights, enjoy the ship, plus relax too, where the 7 day I think I would try to cram everything in the one sea day on board. I dont know?!

We are looking to do a 11 day Southern Caribean cruise. Is this too long for a first time?

Our first cruise was 10 days (New York to Eastern Carribean) It was wonderful; 3 days at sea - 3 days at Ports - 3 days at Sea. A chance to chill out going down, to run all over the place and then to relax coming back. Since then we have only taken 7 day cruises (6 of them). As wonderful as seeing the ports are, we love the sea days to just relax and enjoy a book or whatever. Hope some day to be able to do a real long cruise, but for now this is it. Have fun.

Archived