Poor Valor Cruisers..<3

serene56

Carnival Valor has announced that it will replace its scheduled call in Curaçao today with a sea day. Valor is headed for the Bahamas and will call in at Nassau on Saturday. Though there are other ships in the region, no further itinerary changes have been announced at this time. Carnival Liberty, which departed Puerto Rico yesterday, could be affected by the storm.

Copied and pasted off the home board.

If Aruba is out of the hurricane belt how can it be playing havoc with Curacao?

Can you imagine booking a cruise to go to Curacao and finding you are going to the Bahamas???

Can you imagine booking a cruise to go to Curacao and finding you are going to the Bahamas???

Yeah that would be disappointing. That is why I am hesitant to cruise this time of year because I would be disappointed considering that Curacao is exotic and Bahamas are not so much (IMO). But its better than the alternatives of sailing into the hurricane or having the cruise cancelled altogether. :eek:

Carnival Valor has announced that it will replace its scheduled call in Curaçao today with a sea day. Valor is headed for the Bahamas and will call in at Nassau on Saturday. Though there are other ships in the region, no further itinerary changes have been announced at this time. Carnival Liberty, which departed Puerto Rico yesterday, could be affected by the storm.

Copied and pasted off the home board.

If Aruba is out of the hurricane belt how can it be playing havoc with Curacao?

It could have something to do with the path of the ships return from Curacao to Miami heading thru the path of the storm.

Yeah that would be disappointing. That is why I am hesitant to cruise this time of year because I would be disappointed considering that Curacao is exotic and Bahamas are not so much (IMO). But its better than the alternatives of sailing into the hurricane or having the cruise cancelled altogether. :eek:

that is exactly my point.

We cruise all the time during this season since my birthday is the 30th. we go anytime between now and the 3rd week in Sept.

To swap out Cuaraco for bahamas-- all i can say is WOW.

Then I remember the cruise that was supposed to go to the western caribbean and went to Canada instead...

Then I remember the cruise that was supposed to go to the western caribbean and went to Canada instead...

Many years ago there was a cruise at this time of year from the NY/NJ area going to Bermuda that, when arriving at the port, guests were advised they were going to Canada because of a hurricane out in the Atlantic.

Ouch.

It could have something to do with the path of the ships return from Curacao to Miami heading thru the path of the storm.

That could be a better safer than sorry decision by the Captain.

Im thinking they are trying to get past its path before it grows on its way to Florida.

BTW if we got diverted to the Bahamas instead of going to Curacao Id be pissed. No comparison on the ports

Many years ago there was a cruise at this time of year from the NY/NJ area going to Bermuda that, when arriving at the port, guests were advised they were going to Canada because of a hurricane out in the Atlantic.

Ouch.

I remember that and they were ticked! Now I am on a Canda cruise from NY next Thursday and one of the tracks has this storm moving up the east coast and would put in in NY around Thursday then it moves up to Canada with our ship. Now cruising in a storm wouldn't bother me as I have done it when we were delyed getting back into Miami a couple years ago becuase of a hurricane. I thought if was kinda fun to be honest. That said, I wouldn't be disappointed if they rerouted us to Bermuda either.

The Valor's decision to leave Curacao and arrive in Nassau on Friday makes no sense. The storm isn't anywhere near Curacao

175511W5_NL_sm.gif

I think they're trying to avoid having to come back from Curacao through the storm area...

Ouch.

This happened a couple of years ago with a cruise going from NY to the Caribbean. There was almost a mutiny on the ship. There was nothing the cruiseline could do...there were 3 hurricanes in a row heading across toward FL and no way to get below them.

BTW if we got diverted to the Bahamas instead of going to Curacao Id be pissed. No comparison on the ports

its gotta cost a whole deal less to cruise to bahamas compared to the southern countries

The Valor's decision to leave Curacao and arrive in Nassau on Friday makes no sense. The storm isn't anywhere near Curacao

Sure it makes sense. True, the storm isn't going to Curacao. But if they stayed in Curacao today, and then started heading home to Miami as planned, look at where they would be tomorrow (Friday) and where the storm would be tomorrow:

175511W5_NL_sm.gif

They'd have been fighting the storm for much of the day Friday and also fighting it Saturday through the Windward Passage (the strait between Cuba and Haiti).

No they'll have a day's head start at beating the storm north, then they'll have time to stop in the Bahamas. Which is a big disappointment compared to Curacao, but what can you do?

its gotta cost a whole deal less to cruise to bahamas compared to the southern countries

It's not a cost thing. It's a safety of the passengers, ship and crew thing. That it the main priority of the captain. I am definitely not a Carnival Cheerleader, but they are definitely doing the right thing here. Sure, Nassau doesn't compare to Curacao, but if you have your heart set on a port, then you shouldn't cruise the Caribbean during hurricane season.

that is exactly my point.

We cruise all the time during this season since my birthday is the 30th. we go anytime between now and the 3rd week in Sept.

LOL I was just thinking about the cruise re-routed to Canada!!:cool: We are doing the itinerary the Valor is on now in October, so hopefully the storms will stay away. I would certainly be disappointed, but also realize it's a chance you take when you travel in hurricane season, which we also do because of our anniversary and my birthday.

I remember that and they were ticked! Now I am on a Canda cruise from NY next Thursday and one of the tracks has this storm moving up the east coast and would put in in NY around Thursday then it moves up to Canada with our ship. Now cruising in a storm wouldn't bother me as I have done it when we were delyed getting back into Miami a couple years ago becuase of a hurricane. I thought if was kinda fun to be honest. That said, I wouldn't be disappointed if they rerouted us to Bermuda either.

Pack warm AND cold weather items! LOL :eek:

Best of luck and enjoy your cruise!

I would certainly be disappointed, but also realize it's a chance you take when you travel in hurricane season, which we also do because of our anniversary and my birthday.

I know what you mean. We generally cruise on our Anniversary, which we are lucky is in February, but my Birthday is in late September. We're celebrating it this year, but I made a command decision and changed it to November to avoid the bulk of the hurricane season!:)

Kevin C

Valor update was last night at 7pm

CARNIVAL VALOR - 8/19/12 departure

In order to stay ahead of the storm and for the safety and comfort of our guests, the Carnival Valor cancelled the call into Curaçao and replaced it with a visit to Nassau on Friday from 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM.

CARNIVAL LIBERTY - 8/18/12 departure

Due to high winds and heavy swells, the Carnival Liberty cancelled the call into Grand Turk today and will replace it with a visit to Nassau on Friday from 10:00 AM to 6:00PM.

All other ships are operating on their scheduled itineraries.

As always, the safety of our guests is our number one concern and our ships are maintaining a safe distance from the storm at all times.

Another web update will be posted today, August 23, at 8:00 PM (EDT).

I think they're trying to avoid having to come back from Curacao through the storm area...

This happened a couple of years ago with a cruise going from NY to the Caribbean. There was almost a mutiny on the ship. There was nothing the cruiseline could do...there were 3 hurricanes in a row heading across toward FL and no way to get below them.

That was on the Miracle in 2008. We were on the cruise right after that one. The crew was weary and definitely shell shocked. It took a couple of days and then everyone began to relax, I found the cruisers were especially kind and friendly knowing what the crew had gone through the week before. Captain

Volpi was our Master and his sense of humor was great and we had a great cruise.

LOL I was just thinking about the cruise re-routed to Canada!!:cool: We are doing the itinerary the Valor is on now in October, so hopefully the storms will stay away. I would certainly be disappointed, but also realize it's a chance you take when you travel in hurricane season, which we also do because of our anniversary and my birthday.

I will also be on the Oct 13 sailing..it's my B-Day too, and i'm keeping my fingers crossed that no storms will come our way....

Archived