Celebrity Reflection

Max2003

An interesting YouTube video--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWehUm2_a_M

It just looks kinda top heavy!! They have added an additional deck from the prior 4 Solstice ships design.

Has anyone ever pondered, given the specs for a ship this large, at 126,000 tons, what the effect a maximum passenger and crew load would have on the center of gravity (buoyancy). Assuming a total of 5000 humans onboard at an average weight of 200 pounds *( including baggage) which would be 500 tons of just people. Then add supplies etc. The movement of a large number of people from side to side or to the upper decks must have an effect, especially in rough weather. Is there a marine architect out there that could address this question.

Talk about top heavy - have you seen the Norwegian Epic? If that thing can stay afloat, then the Reflection should be fine.

My immediate thoughts, exactly! Compared to Epic, Reflection appears to be very well-balanced! :cool:

My only question is -- will she be too tall to fit under the same bridges as her younger Solstice Sisters? I seem to recall that on Solstice's original float-out at Meyer-Weft, they had to actually lower the water level of the River Ems (?) to get her under a particular bridge. Anyone else remember how they did that?

Yes, and the specs have her 2 feet wider. The write up on the Eclipse EMS river conveyance claim only inches to spare?? And of course she is a deck taller. Apparently they dismantle the RR bridge for the transit.

Almost worth a trip to watch!!

Reflection is the same height as her sisters. All they did was raise the center of the upper deck, which is where the pool is. For all practical purposes, Reflection is mostly the same as her sisters, including height.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

To add to the information from boogs, only the pool area has been raised 1 level. The remaining sections of the upper levels were left intact and have not been changed. By raising the pool deck area 1 level they were able to add additional staterooms underneath the pool area.

Regarding the missing smokestack seen in the video - it was left off because the crane inside the building could not lift it up high enough to put it on the ship. The stack was lifted into place by an outside crane the same day the ship was floated out andis it is now in place.

Archimedes' principle paraphrased: A body submerged in a liquid displaces a quantity of that liquid equal to the volume of the body. So long as the weight of the water displaced by the ship is greater than the weight of the ship, the ship will float.

Archimedes' principle paraphrased: A body submerged in a liquid displaces a quantity of that liquid equal to the volume of the body. So long as the weight of the water displaced by the ship is greater than the weight of the ship, the ship will float.

True!!! But the center of gravity better be below the waterline or she will roll. Don't put the heavy stuff on the upper decks.

Max2003,

Not entirely correct I am afraid.

By the way, we talk about the Metapoint here, not the CG.

Reflection will be a fine seagoing vessel. Be assured of that.

Despegue

First let me say that I was not passing judgement on the seaworthiness of the Reflection. Way above my pay grade. My apologies if you are the naval architect.

I should have been more technical and said that the CG ( of any ship) better be below the "metacenter" or it will be unstable and tend to roll. But then??

Still "Don't put the heavy stuff on the upper decks".

Archived