Dining Rooms and Dress Codes on the Star

aloesch

My hubby and are on sailing The Star in December and it's our first NCL cruise. I've spent quite a bit of time investigating the dress code and the different dining rooms and I still have a couple questions. I know that there are 2 MDRs and that one is fancier than the other. Do the dining rooms serve the same menu each night? Are shorts allowed in the Aqua at dinner? On Dress Up or Not nights are shorts banned in both of the MDRs or does that just apply to the nicer dining room?

I love to dress up for dinner some nights, but on a 7 night cruise it will be very challenging to pack 7 nights of dressier clothes and shoes for my hubby. Please don't flame me on the dress code issue, I am just attempting to figure out what is acceptable and what isn't so I can be prepared. :-)

My hubby and are on sailing The Star in December and it's our first NCL cruise. I've spent quite a bit of time investigating the dress code and the different dining rooms and I still have a couple questions. I know that there are 2 MDRs and that one is fancier than the other. Do the dining rooms serve the same menu each night? Are shorts allowed in the Aqua at dinner? On Dress Up or Not nights are shorts banned in both of the MDRs or does that just apply to the nicer dining room?

I love to dress up for dinner some nights, but on a 7 night cruise it will be very challenging to pack 7 nights of dressier clothes and shoes for my hubby. Please don't flame me on the dress code issue, I am just attempting to figure out what is acceptable and what isn't so I can be prepared. :-)

No difference in "dress up or not" night dress expectation. For evening dining every night, the bigger of the two MDRs and Le Bistro do not permit shorts. For all the other dining options dress shorts are ok. The two MDRs serve basically the same menu. The standard steak item I understand is sometimes a different cut, one MDR to the other.

No difference in "dress up or not" night dress expectation. For evening dining every night, the bigger of the two MDRs and Le Bistro do not permit shorts. For all the other dining options dress shorts are ok. The two MDRs serve basically the same menu. The standard steak item I understand is sometimes a different cut, one MDR to the other.

I can echo that. Just got back yesterday from the Star. Straight from my Freestyle Daily: "Resort casual and shorts are allowed in all dining venues except Versailles (one of the main dining rooms) and Le Bistro (French restaurant you have to pay for) after 5:00 pm. Shoes and shirt must be worn." We asked the crew, and they said the menus in Versailles and Aqua are almost identical every day. They have a set menu that stays the same the entire cruise. Then each day, they have a whole additional page that has different specials for appetizers, entrees, and desserts.

For Dress Up or Not, you can do whatever you want. NCL is very casual, and it's one of the reasons we booked that cruise. I don't mind dressing up (wore maxi dresses most of the time actually), but my boyfriend lives in cargo shorts and button down shirts.

I can echo that. Just got back yesterday from the Star. Straight from my Freestyle Daily: "Resort casual and shorts are allowed in all dining venues except Versailles (one of the main dining rooms) and Le Bistro (French restaurant you have to pay for) after 5:00 pm. Shoes and shirt must be worn." We asked the crew, and they said the menus in Versailles and Aqua are almost identical every day. They have a set menu that stays the same the entire cruise. Then each day, they have a whole additional page that has different specials for appetizers, entrees, and desserts.

For Dress Up or Not, you can do whatever you want. NCL is very casual, and it's one of the reasons we booked that cruise. I don't mind dressing up (wore maxi dresses most of the time actually), but my boyfriend lives in cargo shorts and button down shirts.

But interestingly enough, it is the set menu that is slightly different in the two dining rooms. The daily specials page is the same in both.

But interestingly enough, it is the set menu that is slightly different in the two dining rooms. The daily specials page is the same in both.

I guess I'm going to have to pay attention this cruise (just 5 days away) because I've never noticed a difference in the menus between the 2 MDR's for dinner.

OP - we LOVE the Star, she is our favorite ship. Enjoy!

Hi Shera,

You mentioned Le Bistro in your post. That is the one specialty restaurant I am interested in. Do you mind telling me about your experience? When did you reserve it and were you able to get your first choice of time? What did you order? How were the portions? I would appreciate anything else you can share about your dinner there.

Did you use public transportation in Bermuda? Was it a huge challenge to get around?

Thanks very much. I am taking the Star to Bermuda in less than two weeks.

I guess I'm going to have to pay attention this cruise (just 5 days away) because I've never noticed a difference in the menus between the 2 MDR's for dinner.

OP - we LOVE the Star, she is our favorite ship. Enjoy!

The differences between the menus may not have been in place when you took your last NCL cruise . It's not something that was always true.

I know that there are 2 MDRs and that one is fancier than the other. Do the dining rooms serve the same menu each night? Are shorts allowed in the Aqua at dinner? On Dress Up or Not nights are shorts banned in both of the MDRs or does that just apply to the nicer dining room?

IN ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTIONS: My hub and I were on the Star almost a year ago. Don't wear shorts to the MDRooms or the premium dining rooms. If you want to wear shorts, then do the buffets where it's more laid back and casual. Otherwise, a collared shirt and a nice pair of dress pants for your hubby is perfectly fine in the MDR. Think of it like this...you wouldn't wear shorts to a finer restaurant at home would you? I know I wouldn't. The first night we ate dinner in the Versailles dining room, I noticed that quite a few people were in shorts AND jeans. I was surprised because there is a sign that says no shorts. I asked the waiter about it and he said the very first night of the cruise and only that night they are very lenient about the no shorts rule because some people may not have their luggage yet or may have had a problem.

I loved Dress Up or Not night. We didn't dress up formally (although others did) but I wore a pretty dress and my hub wore a suit (no tie). We didn't feel underdressed at all. It was nice seeing all the pretty gowns but I think more people DIDN'T wear formal attire that did.

I believe both menus were the same in the Versailles and Aqua dining rooms. We ate in Aqua only once and I think that one seemed a bit less formal than the Versailles but you still wouldn't wear shorts to eat there.

Have a great time on your cruise! The staff on the Star is amazing! You will love it!

Hi Shera,

You mentioned Le Bistro in your post. That is the one specialty restaurant I am interested in. Do you mind telling me about your experience? When did you reserve it and were you able to get your first choice of time? What did you order? How were the portions? I would appreciate anything else you can share about your dinner there.

Did you use public transportation in Bermuda? Was it a huge challenge to get around?

Thanks very much. I am taking the Star to Bermuda in less than two weeks.

Here's a link to Bermuda info.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196

I know that there are 2 MDRs and that one is fancier than the other. Do the dining rooms serve the same menu each night? Are shorts allowed in the Aqua at dinner? On Dress Up or Not nights are shorts banned in both of the MDRs or does that just apply to the nicer dining room?

IN ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTIONS: My hub and I were on the Star almost a year ago. Don't wear shorts to the MDRooms or the premium dining rooms. If you want to wear shorts, then do the buffets where it's more laid back and casual. Otherwise, a collared shirt and a nice pair of dress pants for your hubby is perfectly fine in the MDR. Think of it like this...you wouldn't wear shorts to a finer restaurant at home would you? I know I wouldn't. The first night we ate dinner in the Versailles dining room, I noticed that quite a few people were in shorts AND jeans. I was surprised because there is a sign that says no shorts. I asked the waiter about it and he said the very first night of the cruise and only that night they are very lenient about the no shorts rule because some people may not have their luggage yet or may have had a problem.

I loved Dress Up or Not night. We didn't dress up formally (although others did) but I wore a pretty dress and my hub wore a suit (no tie). We didn't feel underdressed at all. It was nice seeing all the pretty gowns but I think more people DIDN'T wear formal attire that did.

I believe both menus were the same in the Versailles and Aqua dining rooms. We ate in Aqua only once and I think that one seemed a bit less formal than the Versailles but you still wouldn't wear shorts to eat there.

Have a great time on your cruise! The staff on the Star is amazing! You will love it!

Honky Tonk --- Your information is not correct. Shorts are allowed in the Aqua and are prohibited in the Versailles.

This is published by NCL.

The menus in the two restaurants are slightly different. this change was made last year, I believe.

Your information is wrong. As already noted, shorts are permitted in all dining venues but Versailles and Le Bistro. Jeans are permitted everywhere. Whether you would go out to dinner wearing shorts isn't the issue...NCL's dress code is the issue and shorts are permitted with the two exceptions.

There are slight differences in the fixed menus of the two MDRs.

Archived