What to wear in December in New Zealand?

I decided this would be better here than in fashion. I just want to know if during the day for tours it would be better in long pants and heavy weight tops or more summer clothes with a jacket?

Any suggestions please - I am aware the weather can change but just want some idea of what to pack the most.

Thanks

Dress in layers and take one set of warm clothes. It is likely to be cold/very cold when the ship goes into the first Sound in Fiordland National Park, but if the weather is fine it will warm up during the day. It can also be cold in Dunedin, but will probably warm up during the day.

You should be fine during the day with just summer clothes :)

I would take a jacket (and in case it rains when your here) and jumper for Fiordland National Park, as it can be cool and sometimes wet when you cruise thru it.

Edited by Kiwi_cruiser

My must remember to pack items for NZ are our lightweight wind proof and waterproof jackets from Khatmandu (local store). They pack into one of the pockets and are longer line to cover tops of thighs and have tuck in hoods. Very useful for windy Wellington and viewing the Sounds from the open decks. Colleen

Thanks all

I hadn't thought about the waterproof jacket - thanks now added to my list.

I did NZ Princess twice last Dec. My suggestion for any cruise - pack for all seasons as weather at sea & ashore can change! NZ south island was really like winter last Dec - cold & wet. I always take gloves, a scarf, cap, thermal camisole, jumper, cardigan, windcheater, jacket with a hood . I use them when I walk deck @ 5am & late night, as well as on deck or balcony for Fiordland, ashore @ Dunedin, Wellington. Be prepared is my cruise fashion motto - even on a Sth Pacific cruise, it was cold & windy at times! In NZ you can buy winter woollen goods (jumpers, cardigans, scarves, caps, gloves, socks) made of merino wool & possum fur - very lightweight & extremely warm. I find these great for cruising anywhere. Bon Voyage, Neptune :D

As an ex New Zealander now living in Perth, WA, I quite forgot about how cold it could be and had to buy a woollen jersey when we were in NZ last December. I lived in jeans, woollen socks, long sleeved T shirt and the woollen jersey when we were cruising there despite it being summer. Even the hot days are often not hot for long by our new standards. It is a beautiful, beautiful place, but make sure you take at least two changes of nice warm clothes if you want to be out and about on deck or visiting ports.

thanks for the advise.

I think I have it worked out with some jeans and some winter weight pants, a few cotton knit tops (which can be for hot or cold) and I now have a nice wool cardigan come shawl type thing - which with a jacket should be great.

Thanks again

thanks for the advise.

I think I have it worked out with some jeans and some winter weight pants, a few cotton knit tops (which can be for hot or cold) and I now have a nice wool cardigan come shawl type thing - which with a jacket should be great.

Thanks again

You will need warmer clothes in ports on the South Island than on the North Island. Auckland is likely to be the warmest, and Wellington is renowned for being windy.

Edited by Aus Traveller

We did the New Years cruise (to New Zealand) on the Sun Princess last year. It was absolutely freezing, but then again I believe it is the worst summer they have had. We are going in February next year because it is warmer then. I didn't take enough warm clothes but thankfully Princess supplies blankets on the Lido deck. If I were you I would take very warm clothes for the south Island but the north island is warmer. Enjoy!!! ;)

Thanks for all the comments - I have been told to look at a Possum/wool jacket whilst over there, if I can manage to wait till I get there.

They are lovely, but expensive. I wasn't even tempted. :)

Very expensive. Think $200+ for a simple jumper. And mostly merino anyway. I know merino/possum is expensive and was prepared to pay but I didnt see anything that was really nice or compelling buying and I looked.

It was freezing in the south island late December to jan this year.

The sun was out in Milford sound but the wind was cold and in Dunedin the wind whipped icy rain into our faces. Christchurch was sunny but I still wore a woolen jumper and raincoat for protection from the wind.

I had long pants, thermal long sleeved tshirts, two woolen jumpers and a waterproof gortex jacket on in Dunedin and was cold. We live further south on the nsw sth coast so are used to fairly cold weather.

I have since bought a mountain designs windfleece jacket and a kathmandu special thermally rated merino jumper (much nicer than anything i saw in nz but it is made in nz so i obviously didnt look in the right places) in australia (one 50% off one 70% off) to avoid the cold next time!

Edited by paddingtonbear

• 1 year later...

We are booked on the Dawn Princess for a New Zealand cruise in April and would like to know what type of clothing passengers are wearing on this itinerary. Is is more casual atmosphere (jeans in the dining room) like in Alaska and river cruises, or are people still doing the "resort casual" thing (which we know is open to interpretation and mood of the maitre di).

• 2 weeks later...

When we did the December is was fairly casual in dining room except for formal nights, but as long as the jeans are nice, ie probably no holes as the latest fashion.

Make sure you still have clothes you can layer as it will be getting colder and if you want to be on deck to go thru the sounds you may need a good jacket/coat. We only needed it for that day.