Port to Sydney Airport

Grothj

We will be arriving on the Seabourn Quest in Sydney on Feb 16...I believe that is a Saturday. We need to book a flight to Auckland that same day. How long does it take to get to the airport from the cruise port(s)? We have always sailed in and out of Sydney so have never been to the airport. Can we make an 11:30 am flight? Thanks for your help.

Jan

I travel to Sydney quite often from Auckland and I always get the train from the airport to that part of town - it is very easy and often quicker than other options.

You will be very close to a train station at Circular Quay when you disembark and you can easily get a train that stops at the international airport. The trip takes 20 to 25 mins with the trains running regularly. The airport line is marked with signposts since lots of tourists want to know what platform to stand on.

The train to the airport is quite expensive though - I think $17 AUD or something like that per person. Getting off at a station before or after the airport is much cheaper.

If you don't have minimal luggage (and most cruisers don't!) then take a taxi direct from the ship to the airport. Allow 30 minutes and a total fare of around A$50 - no tip required. More expensive than the train but WAY more convenient. Provided the ship docks in the early morning you should make your 11.30 flight OK but remember that international flights require a 2 hour checkin so you need to be 'on the road' by about 9am.

Just thought I would add a comment. We were on a Honolulu to Sydney cruise last November, and the disembarkation process at Sydney was very slow. From our balcony we were watching the dock workers very methodically loading the luggage from the ship onto carts. Once our disembarkation number was called and we left the ship we understood -- the hall where luggage was organized was the smallest we had ever seen in a cruise ship terminal. The dock workers had it very well organized, but they just didn't have much space to work with. Since we were staying in Sydney for a week after the cruise we were assigned to one of the last groups to depart, and our group left the ship about 10:30 am.

Just thought I would add a comment. We were on a Honolulu to Sydney cruise last November, and the disembarkation process at Sydney was very slow. From our balcony we were watching the dock workers very methodically loading the luggage from the ship onto carts. Once our disembarkation number was called and we left the ship we understood -- the hall where luggage was organized was the smallest we had ever seen in a cruise ship terminal. The dock workers had it very well organized, but they just didn't have much space to work with. Since we were staying in Sydney for a week after the cruise we were assigned to one of the last groups to depart, and our group left the ship about 10:30 am.

You make an interesting but truthful comment. However, those on early flights always seem to be catered for.

The Sydney terminal has much of its space leased out to restaurants. The Australian cruise scene has only (relatively) recently become popular after a lull for many years from the immigration period of the 1950s and 60s. The number of cruises in an out of Sydney is now growing at massive rates but the infrastructure hasn't been updated.

• 2 months later...
If you don't have minimal luggage (and most cruisers don't!) then take a taxi direct from the ship to the airport. Allow 30 minutes and a total fare of around A$50 - no tip required. More expensive than the train but WAY more convenient. Provided the ship docks in the early morning you should make your 11.30 flight OK but remember that international flights require a 2 hour checkin so you need to be 'on the road' by about 9am.

Hi there

Would you happen to know if there are any facilities to store luggage for a day in Sydney. We arrive back from our cruise at 6.30am, but don't fly out until 6.30pm. Would love to have a wander around Sydney without our luggage.

Hi there

Would you happen to know if there are any facilities to store luggage for a day in Sydney. We arrive back from our cruise at 6.30am, but don't fly out until 6.30pm. Would love to have a wander around Sydney without our luggage.

There are no convenient storage facilities in Sydney near the terminal at Circular Quay. Closest i can suggest is on Level 7 of the Dymocks Building at 428 George St in the city. Flat walk from the OPT.

http://www.travellers.com.au/TravelTours/LuggageStorage/tabid/145/Default.aspx

Airport has storage but you would waste half the day getting there and back unless you took the train.

When and on what ship are you arriving on will depend as to where you dock.

I'd go with the Taxi option too.

Rob

Archived