Jewish Heritage tour/Curaçao

If your in St. Thomas visiting the synagogue is a worth while trip. I was married in that synagogue 10 years ago. My brother was the Rabbi of the synagogue at that time. It was a wonderful beginning to our new life. The history, the sand floor and the people made for a lifetime of memories.

Not so re: "only Jews would take a tour such as this while on vacation"...I am not Jewish but am very interested in a Jewish heritage tour on one of the islands. I have never been inside a temple and am curious about any aspect of the religion of the Bible.

We are going back to Curacao and Barbados Nov 05 God willing, and this thread has provided an idea for an enriching, meaningful tour...thanks.[/QUOte]

I was actually referring to the content of the trip -- and the fact that it was -so- depressing.. that "only Jews" would think it was a good time. It was a dig at myself, actually. ;)

I was actually referring to the content of the trip -- and the fact that it was -so- depressing.. that "only Jews" would think it was a good time. It was a dig at myself, actually. ;)
This is so true! We will be in Austria, Hungary, and the Czech Republic next month, and I can only imagine what we will put ourselves through in the name of "vacation"!:)

We've been to the Curacao synagogue twice on our own, the one in St. Thomas, and we've been to the Barbados synagogue a couple of times, as well. Tried to go again this January and it was closed! And it was Shabbat - no services? We were very disappointed. We've been following the renovations of both the Synagogue and the cemetary, which is truly fascinating. Unless anyone has heard that it is no longer open? What a shame that would be - I'd like to try to get there again next January.

Didn't know that there was a synagogue on Aruba, or we would have visited that one, too.

We've been to Shabbat services once on board. RCCL provided kippot, a "prayer book," (photocopied text), challah and wine, and the service was led by a passenger. It was held in the Windjammer, and was fairly well attended - about 30 people. On one of our cruises there was a kosher family in the dining room with us - they sat by themselves and didn't seem to talk to anyone else.

We don't avoid talking about being Jewish, if the topic comes up. We've only had one issue - on a cruise a couple of years ago there was a very drunk (every day) couple at the table with us, who were also anti-Semitic. They didn't realize we were Jewish, and had started making disparaging comments. We went to the maitre d' and got our table changed pronto!

Been to the synagogues in both St. Thomas and Curacao. The one in Curacao is beautiful and is one not to be missed.

As for the Friday nite sevices, they are short and sweet about 30-50 people on our last one. It was even led by one of the crew memebers. It is nice to meet passengers who you have seen the whole week, but probably didn't talk to. Never know what connection may turn up. We talked to a family who were from KC, but it turns out they were friends with my wife's family's next door neighbor (small world!!).

Thank you, WhaleWatcher for the explanation. I agree with luvcruzn, next time we cruise to Curacao, I think the Jewish Heritage Tour will be on our list of things to do. Thanks again and Shalom!

We took the tour off the AOS in Jan 2005 - Absolutely one of the best tours we have taken. We saw the Synagogue in 2003 as part of a town tour but this was new. Actually there are 2 synagogues in Curacao but no one seems to tour the Aske**** schul - don't know why.

If you can get a copy of the NY Times 3/27 2005 there is a great article on discovering Jewish Roots on Caribbean Soil.

If you can visit the synagogue in St. Thomas.

The temple in Aruba looks like a house and we could not visit it when we went there - I was not aware there was one in Barbados - if we get back there we will try to visit.

Someone said there was one in Jamaica but I assume it was in one of the major towns

This is so true! We will be in Austria, Hungary, and the Czech Republic next month, and I can only imagine what we will put ourselves through in the name of "vacation"!:)

If you've never been (have you?) you are in for a treat! I couldn't believe the "Tony Curtis Synagogue" in Budapest is unbelieveable -- a "must-see". I have a wonderful Rabbi "puppet" I bought in Praha...that neighborhood is a definite-do! so much history throughout Europe no matter what your cultural heritage may be. What can I say about Vienna...the food is wonderful! The Austrian Woods are wonderful! I'd better stop as this is a trip I've done twice and am ready to go again! (we do the land packages as stops in ports are so time limiting)

We took the Jewish History tour through RCCL from AOS in June 2004. It was a wonderful tour and highly recommended. Naturally you could do it on your own but our guide added so much to the experience. In our group were my parents, us and our kids (12 and 9). All agreed that it was well worth the time.

If you've never been (have you?) you are in for a treat! I couldn't believe the "Tony Curtis Synagogue" in Budapest is unbelieveable -- a "must-see". I have a wonderful Rabbi "puppet" I bought in Praha...that neighborhood is a definite-do! so much history throughout Europe no matter what your cultural heritage may be. What can I say about Vienna...the food is wonderful! The Austrian Woods are wonderful! I'd better stop as this is a trip I've done twice and am ready to go again! (we do the land packages as stops in ports are so time limiting)
Last time I was there was 20+ years ago with a backpack and very low budget, so this will be a very different experience!:) It's seems that every vacation, we find some special local food that we "sample" over and over again (such as rum cake or key lime pie). This trip we are planning to taste a lot of Sachertorte! We will keep out eyes open for that Rabbi puppet!

This trip we are planning to taste a lot of Sachertorte! We will keep out eyes open for that Rabbi puppet!

Guess I'm a little different as I thought the sachertorte was 'much to do about nothing' I much preferred the strudel. the puppets are all over the Jewish Section - so many from which to choose. The puppets in Prague have a very long and interesting story...worth research before you get there. The cemetary is noteworthy, as well. All these things are on a typical tour. It's nice to linger after your tour guide has left, but only when you aren't on a time schedule. I'm sure you will most enjoy your experiences. We've been over the big pond multiple times (ready to go again now that the EU has come down a bit) - don't forget to bring back essential paprika from Budapest! they package it cleverly which makes a nice souvenir. I learned that paprika isn't just for a garnish - now that I've learned to actually "cook" w/it, I know I will bring back more from our next trip over! y'just don't get it in the states with the same intensity. Oh, so many stories to share, I'd better stop! p.s. there's a really neat McDonalds' in downtown Budapest (I'll let you discover for yourself;))

p.s. there's a really neat McDonalds' in downtown Budapest (I'll let you discover for yourself;))
We will keep our eyes open -- the boys would do cartwheels if were to stop at McDonalds -- they do get tired of local cuisine after a while...

My mother is from Vienna, so my family has always been heavy handed with the paprika; we will same room in our suitcase to bring some home, as such things are hard to come by in northern MN, where ground black pepper is considered living on the edge!:D

whale-watcher: your comment about black pepper was a LOL! oh, yes, on the Budapest McDonald's - can't remember the street, but it's on a huge pedestrian area w/lots of shops...you will probably find it on your own, but it's the one that offers two computer stations, a music listening area, a coffee cafe (very good! not McD's norm!) - in that same area w/discovered Casablanca...looked like a real dive & they hardly spoke English, but we 100% enjoyed what we were served (think the owner brought us what she wanted us to have, as we couldn't figure out the menu!)...ok, so it was goulosh, but yummy!...it's very tiny, too smoky, but very local-authentic.(you walk down a flight of stairs to get to the restaurant). Since you started talking about your trip, I've mentioned to DH that we need to go back:D I'm anxious for your report upon returning home, so I hope you'll respond. I'm sure you will enjoy the sachertorte - it's the thing to eat! but don't forget to get some strudel, too.:)

We hope we have time to fit everything in! Our major reason for visiting this summer is to attend the unveiling and dedication of a holocaust memorial in the small town where my father grew up. We allowed ourselves a week on either side of the ceremony, but with so much to do and see (and eat!) I am sure that won't be enough. And yes, we will save plenty of room for the strudel as well.;)

We just received a mailing from our TA about riverboat cruises along the Danube, and that might be a very relaxing option for touring this area as well. I will be sure to post an update either on this thread or the Cruising Jewish one when we return; the boys are very happy to hear that McDonalds is on the agenda now!

one of our multi-city tours included a river cruise on the Danube - noteworthy from the river to look back on shore seeing sights you just wouldn't believe - and the current!-well, never expected that. Your trip sounds wonderful - when do you leave? p.s. I did some more digging last night - found out I have some DNA heritage in Austria as well Germany. I don't think this is the forum to discuss truly personal issues, but oh boy, tis a subject over a cup of java, yes:rolleyes:

My Uncle has actually traced our family back to the 1600's in Vienna -- I will have to dig out the family tree again and take a look before we go -- family names are Schlesinger, Braun, Wosobe, Hauser, and Jokel, among others. We leave on the 11th of June. I actually grew up in Maryland (Bethesda), and my parents and brother still live in the DC area. My wife is from Baltimore, and we make it back "home" at least once a year (except for this year, when we will all meet up a little bit further to the east;) !

[quote name='whale-watcher']My Uncle has actually traced our family back to the 1600's in Vienna -- I actually grew up in Maryland (Bethesda), and my parents and brother still live in the DC area. My wife is from Baltimore, and [/QUOTE]
Perhaps one day we'll meet up on a cruise? we can discuss our Austrian roots and living in MD:D I don't like to get too personal on CC, so will leave the [i]good stuff[/i] for a someday chance face-to-face - Meanwhile, I'm wishing you and your family a wonderful European holiday. (p.s. family name: Lichenstein or Litchenstein or Lichtenstein...been spelled every whichaway as often does happen)

[quote name='Na2PtCl4']BonnieNYTx

Which Synagogue did you join - We lived in Plano, Tx. for 6 years and were members at Beth Torah - went back there in March to Celebrate a friend's bithday.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I missed this post! We joined Anshei Torah and I know quite a few people at Beth Torah. When and where in Plano did you live and where are you now? We moved her Oct. 2003 from Rockland County, NY

I have been to the shul in Curacao which was an easy walk from the port and it is fabulous. I have been to St. Thomas 3 or 4 times and every time it has been closed (never been there on a Saturday) This last cruise we were in St Thomas on the first day of Passover and I was sure that it would be open that day - sadly it was closed.

Last year whilst on the Baltic cruise we got the cab driver to take us to the Shul in Stockholm which was beautiful inside and in St. Petersburg the six of us organised our own tours through Red October and as our first day there was on a Saturday arranged for them to take us to the Shul - It was sad that the congregation was small maybe 40-50 in a large Shul but fascinating how the service was almost entirely using the same tunes as we use in the UK. Something not to be missed if you do a Baltic cruise - in fact make sure when deciding on a Baltic cruise that you are in St. Petersburg on a Shabbat.
They didn't like me trying to video though although I managed to get a minute or two.

Hi - My husband and I were on the EOS in February of this year, and signed up and went to Shabbat Services. There was a wide range of people attending - from Orthodox (like us) to Reform and everything in between.

RCCL provided us with some booklets which had the "highlights" of the evening services...we kind of all muddled along, as its hard to make everyone happy with such a range of observances (surprise, surprise). There actually was a good number of Orthodox peolpe who got together in the Chapel Shabbos morning to daven as well. They also provided us with kosher wine and challah- although being kosher ourselves, we didnt eat any.

Any questions about shabbat or kosher food onboard, ask away-this was our third cruise. I'm sad I didn't do any research about shuls in the Carribbean, as we were at St Thomas and St John on this last cruise. Guess we'll have to go back then!!

We had a rather interesting experience during Shabbat Services on the AOS in January.
Some woman insisted on lighting Shabbat candles and brought tea lights - there were some we found as well in the cabinet. but at the end of the service she went ape when someone suggested we extinguish them as leaving them burining in a room with no one around was dangerous and STUPID. She almost got into a huge altercation with an Orthodox man about which was worse, extinguishing shabbat candles or running the risk of leaving un attended. Since there was no Shabbos Goy to put them out. That was a first. All of the services we attended on board never saw that.

Hi Whalewatcher!

We live in Baltimore. I was born and raised in Pikesville. Where did your wife live in Baltimore? Everybody knows everybody around here! It's a really tight community.

Judy (email -- pikesvillemommyATnetscapeDOTnet)

[quote name='whale-watcher']My Uncle has actually traced our family back to the 1600's in Vienna -- I will have to dig out the family tree again and take a look before we go -- family names are Schlesinger, Braun, Wosobe, Hauser, and Jokel, among others. We leave on the 11th of June. I actually grew up in Maryland (Bethesda), and my parents and brother still live in the DC area. My wife is from Baltimore, and we make it back "home" at least once a year (except for this year, when we will all meet up a little bit further to the east;) ![/QUOTE]

[QUOTE] Meanwhile, I'm wishing you and your family a wonderful European holiday. (p.s. family name: Lichenstein or Litchenstein or Lichtenstein...been spelled every whichaway as often does happen)[/QUOTE] Thanks! I will keep my eyes open for that name when I am there. It would be fun to have a "cruising Jewish" group cruise...
[QUOTE] Where did your wife live in Baltimore? [/QUOTE] DW grew up in the Gardenville area of NE Baltimore (she was not born Jewish). We were married by Cantor Henry Cooper at Peerce's Plantation...I grew up in Bethesda/Potomac.
[QUOTE] its hard to make everyone happy with such a range of observances (surprise, surprise).[/QUOTE] LOL!! when I was leading services at sea in January, we were just starting to sing L'cha Dodi when I heard a woman in the "congregation" exclaim rather loudly (as she was quite hard of hearing) "this isn't how WE sing this in Temple XXXX!" Somehow I managed to maintain at least a little composure and make it through the service, however!:o

Peerce's Plantation! [b]WOW[/b]! :D that would be cool if you run across the name...I'm always into the touristy thing when over there - there are trips that run espressly to research one's family tree... ok, so maybe some reader will organize a group for us:rolleyes: I'm looking forward to hearing from you upon your return.

Archived