Loving the Legend - back Aug 26th!

michelle028

Loving the Legend!

Just got off the Legend on August 26th. I have been on Carnival, RCI and NCL before. I went with my sister and my parents.

Embarkation was smooth. Stayed at the Holiday Inn Rocky Point the night before the cruise. It was a nice hotel, very clean and service was excellent. We booked the cruise package and got transportation to and from the cruise port. Side note: This hotel had great views facing the bay.

However, there is nothing besides the hotels on the street so you are better off renting a car like we did if you want to do some shopping/sightseeing.

We took the cruise shuttle to the port around 12 noon and we were in the ship by 1:30pm. At the hotel, they make you sign up for a time you want to take the shuttle to the ship. There is 11am, 12 noon and 1pm only. After we got to the ship, we had lunch and then went to the rooms. My sis and I had an interior cabin and parents had the balcony both on the 7th floor. I was a bit worried b/c we booked an extended balcony for my parents and before I cruised I had found out that looking down you get a view of the lifeboats. However, it never bothered them once. While sitting or standing in the balcony looking out it was an UN-obstructed view of the water.

Summary of the cruise:

We had 4 stops – Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Grand Cayman. The weather was fantastic throughout the cruise. The beaches were beautiful except in Cozumel, hurricane Ernesto had gone by 2 weeks before and there was a lot of seaweed in the water. In Cozumel we went to Paradise beach, they charge $2 to get in and then they harass you to buy $10 worth of food there. Will not go back here again. Next time, I will find a public beach to go to.

In Belize, we just hung out in the port area. This is a tender port. You take a small boat from the cruise ship to the land. It takes about 15-20 minutes. Just a tip- You have to get the tix for the tender boats and then you wait until your number is called. Don’t try to get the stickers without all your family members there. If they are not all there, they will not give you the stickers.

There were little shops around the gated port area, so we bought a few things. Our luggage broke so we had to buy another one so they had some great choices here as well as knock off bags/purses. I wanted to venture out into the city but shop owners were warning us not to leave the gate area. We still had a great time because there was a bar right beside the tender boat dock so we danced to a Caribbean band that was playing there and had a fun time.

In Roatan, we spent the day at the beach. It was a beautiful beach with clear water.They have free wifi in the beach area so that was great. We paid $12 to take the chairlift to the beach. Total tourist trap but fun anyway! We spent the most amount of time possible in the water and went

in just before we had to leave the port.

In Grand Cayman (another tender port), I was planning to go to Royal Palms on 7 Mile Beach. We have been there before but now they charge a $2 entrance fee and they do not allow you to bring outside food or drinks. The taxi driver suggested a public free beach which is 5 minutes away from Royal Palms (still on 7mile beach) and this was PERFECT. There are little huts set up that you can put your beach stuff underneath and sit down. We brought our own food and drinks and had a great day. This beach is located beside Calico Jacks Restaurant, it was beautiful. Plus it had free wifi here too so I was able to check my email and check out the news about hurricane Isaac.

We made it back to the ship and had a Sea day the next day. During lunch time, the Captain came on and said that we were diverting to Port Canaveral instead of docking back in Tampa b/c of the storm. That night the boat was rocking a lot and I couldn’t sleep very well. The next morning we docked in Port Canaveral we were up at 5am because we wanted to grab a quick breakfast and get ready to leave. Carnival had buses set up for people to get back to Orlando and Tampa airports and back to the Port of Tampa. Kudos to Carnival for being to organized. The main issue was that by docking here, many people were going to miss their flights. We were worried b/c our flight was at 2:45pm back to Buffalo through Southwest. We wanted to change it but they were going to charge us an extra $350 so we decided to risk it and just to go to Tampa airport anyways. It was a smooth debarkation process despite all the stress of people trying to get out of the ship and catch the buses. I have to say some people who lived in Florida were good and let people go ahead of them in the lines but some were just selfish and just wanted to get off the ship and did not care about other people who were desperate to catch their flights back home.

Side note: Carnival did let the passengers call home for free after they announced the change in the port so we called and let our family know what was going on. Overall Carnival did a good job despite all the stress that hurricane Isaac caused and handled the people very well.

It was a 2 hour drive from Port C back to Tampa airport and we got to the airport at 12noon which was perfect for us and caught our flight back.

Overall it was a fantastic trip, l definitely want to do another Carnival cruise again... here are some other important details I forgot to mention above:

-We watched the comedy shows every night in the Punchliner comedy club (Diane Ford and Jeff Jena) which were good. They had 2 other ones towards the end of the week but they were not as good

-The Food was EXCELLENT from start to finish. Everything we ate tasted great and we tried almost everything on the MDR menu since there were 4 of us. Our waiter also encouraged us to try different things as well. My favs from MDR were (not in any order...LOL):

-bitter and blanc dessert, tiramisu, crab cakes, lobster, prime rib, chicken in thai spices, fried shrimps, and all the pasta!

-Loved the buffet food on the Lido deck – especially Chopsticks station.

-There was a taste bar almost every night from 5:30-8pm on Deck two. Look for it in the Fun Times. Great sample appetizers.

- We went to the MDR on Sea Days at 3:30pm for tea time (thanks CC for the tip)

-Formal nights were the first Sea Day and the last port stop. First night people dressed up alot and the 2nd night people did not dress up as much.

-We saw the shows in the main theatre almost every night. They were good for the most part.

-They had a Past Guest Party which was fun. They served free drinks and 3 different appetizers which were good.

Some advice: Bring all meds from home, even if you think you may not use them you will. My sister forgot her visine and ended up spending $12 for a small bottle!!!

So thats all for now, hope this helps you all out... if I think of anything else, I will post it. I don’t have my FunTimes flyers but please feel free to ask any questions and I will be more than happy to help! :)

Good to hear you had a great cruise! We were on the Legend for our first cruise and went to those ports on the Valor and enjoyed them. Would love to sail on the Legend again. Did you like sailing out of Tampa?

Thanks for the review! Sounds like you are a go with the flow kind of cruiser/traveller! Best way to be! Nice to hear that despite the last day/night and bit of a disruption, you had a great time anyway. Thanks again for posting! nice review:)

Glad you had a great cruise....we are SO EXCITED to get back on the Legend this December.

I was sad to see your comment about Paradise Beach. We have been to Paradise Beach every time we are in Cozumel...we LOVE IT!!!!! We always have a great time there and have referred SOOOOO many people there. We do eat & drink there because it is usually good food & drinks and reasonable prices.

We understood (from signage or menus or something) that they respectfully request you spend at least $10.00 on food or drink while you are there, in exchange for the low entrance fee, but we have never been "harassed" or antyhing like that. Can you describe that a bit more? Were they hovering over you, say something specific, etc? If they had not come around would have felt ignored? If you are on Facebook, I would look up Paradise Beach and let the guys know....they solicit feedback.

Anyway, glad you're back safely and had a great time!

We just got off the Legend on Sunday as well, it was a great trip! We also went to Paradise Beach and actually had a wonderful time there. They were attentive and we had no problems with anyone pushing us to spend. Of course we drank and ate the 10 dollar minimum no problem, buckets of Sol and Ceviche and Nachos (food was very good, the ceviche is some of the best we have ever eaten). It was a great day. The kids loved the water toys and the pool was awsome.

Sorry to hear that the OP did not have the same experience, we would go back in a heartbeat, to each his own I guess.

Good to hear you had a great cruise! We were on the Legend for our first cruise and went to those ports on the Valor and enjoyed them. Would love to sail on the Legend again. Did you like sailing out of Tampa?

hb

Thanks for your comment! Yes I loved sailing out of Tampa. So easy to get to and cheaper than sailing out of MIA and Ft Lauderdale. Would love to go back to Tampa and spend a few more days there since it was my first time there!

Glad you had a great cruise....we are SO EXCITED to get back on the Legend this December.

I was sad to see your comment about Paradise Beach. We have been to Paradise Beach every time we are in Cozumel...we LOVE IT!!!!! We always have a great time there and have referred SOOOOO many people there. We do eat & drink there because it is usually good food & drinks and reasonable prices.

We understood (from signage or menus or something) that they respectfully request you spend at least $10.00 on food or drink while you are there, in exchange for the low entrance fee, but we have never been "harassed" or antyhing like that. Can you describe that a bit more? Were they hovering over you, say something specific, etc? If they had not come around would have felt ignored? If you are on Facebook, I would look up Paradise Beach and let the guys know....they solicit feedback.

Anyway, glad you're back safely and had a great time!

Thanks for your comments! I had wanted to go to Paradise beach for a long time b.c I couldn't go there previously when I was at Cozumel.

But seriously they were hovering over and saying "Miss you have to spend $10 otherwise you will have to leave!" very rudely too. Its like, it 10am I'm not going to order nachos at this time!

We ordered food at 12noon b/c it was lunchtime. I didn't like the fact that we were being harassed just after getting there putting out our towels on the chairs.

I did complain to the manager and he apologized on behalf of his server. But other than that, it was a nice place and clean (besides the beach) its just not the place for me after that experience.

Thanks for your comments! I had wanted to go to Paradise beach for a long time b.c I couldn't go there previously when I was at Cozumel.

But seriously they were hovering over and saying "Miss you have to spend $10 otherwise you will have to leave!" very rudely too. Its like, it 10am I'm not going to order nachos at this time!

We ordered food at 12noon b/c it was lunchtime. I didn't like the fact that we were being harassed just after getting there putting out our towels on the chairs.

I did complain to the manager and he apologized on behalf of his server. But other than that, it was a nice place and clean (besides the beach) its just not the place for me after that experience.

That's too bad....never seen or heard anything like that. Although, we've surprised ourselves by being there and ordering one of those yard drinks for $15.95 at like 10am....which is just not like us, but when we're on vacation, we tend to lose track of time....anyway, I find most of their food good and serviers friendly, so I hate to hear they actually said that to you.....

what else did you LOVE about the cruise or the ship? we board in 96 days or something after 3 years of being away from her....she's our favorite so far.....

Can you tell me if they had the Chocolate Buffett with the chocolate fondue? Ohhhh I look so forward to that. :p If so what day did they have it? Can't wait to hear about the rest of the cruise. We are sailing on the same cruise Oct 21st. I can hardly wait. It's my husbands first. (finally got him to agree on trying it.)

Could you Legend fans tell me if this is a good ship for two 14yr olds?? We are looking at cruising from home next year, the long haul flights are killing us(££££££££:eek:) The Legend is sailing to the Baltics from Dover next August and is pricing out okay for us. I keep getting told that the Baltic cruises attract an older passenger, but this ship looks like it would be great for the kids. It is also in the school holidays, so no time off school needed. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jo:)

Thanks for the great report! We're going to be sailing on the Legend on the 16th - first Carnival cruise - so it's good to hear such positive things.

Could you tell me a little about Elegant Nights? I have the only husband in history who LOVES to dress up. He's determined to take his tuxedo, but I got the feeling that people don't dress that formally on Carnival Cruises. I really hate to lug that tuxedo if it's not appropriate. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Every time I read such a positive review for the Legend it makes me look forward to seeing all these positive things for myself! Thankfully I will be on the ship on Sunday! :) So thanks for such a great review!

Can you beieve we only have 5 more days!! I LOVE the Legend!! This will be my hubby's first one and I can't WAIT to share cruising with him.

Thanks for the great report! We're going to be sailing on the Legend on the 16th - first Carnival cruise - so it's good to hear such positive things.

Could you tell me a little about Elegant Nights? I have the only husband in history who LOVES to dress up. He's determined to take his tuxedo, but I got the feeling that people don't dress that formally on Carnival Cruises. I really hate to lug that tuxedo if it's not appropriate. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tell him to bring it!! I have seen everything from "nice" jeans to tuxedo's. You will have some great photo ops and if he enjoys dressing up, he will love it.

Where in the Fun Times is the taste bar listed? I just perused the Legend Fun Times and couldn't find it.

Thanks.

On the Funtimes...It was on the back page, you really had to look for it!

It was almost every day. 2nd floor right outside Satchmos bar. It was a great appetizer before dinner!

That's too bad....never seen or heard anything like that. Although, we've surprised ourselves by being there and ordering one of those yard drinks for $15.95 at like 10am....which is just not like us, but when we're on vacation, we tend to lose track of time....anyway, I find most of their food good and serviers friendly, so I hate to hear they actually said that to you.....

what else did you LOVE about the cruise or the ship? we board in 96 days or something after 3 years of being away from her....she's our favorite so far.....

I loved the wait staff in the MDR. They were awesome. They always encouraged us to try different foods.

I did miss the Caribbean band though, although they had a great DJ playing by the pool, it wasn't the same.

I also liked the Serenity Adults only area outside the restaurant on deck 9. It was a nice place to have a nap after going to port. Beautiful views and nice breeze when you are sailing.

Oh I also forgot to mention on the first Sea Day they have a Chef's demo in the morning they provided samples of the food they were making, so that was fun :)

Can you tell me if they had the Chocolate Buffett with the chocolate fondue? Ohhhh I look so forward to that. :p If so what day did they have it? Can't wait to hear about the rest of the cruise. We are sailing on the same cruise Oct 21st. I can hardly wait. It's my husbands first. (finally got him to agree on trying it.)

The chocolate buffet was the last SEA day on the cruise. It was from 12noon until 2:30pm. They still had the chocolate fondue station :) That day I was deciding whether I should skip lunch and have chocolate instead...LOL.

Oh and the other desserts at the buffet during lunch were amazing! I didn't care too much for the cheesecake b/c everyday they had it just with a different topping. But all the other desserts were GREAT!

-Formal nights were the first Sea Day and the last port stop. First night people dressed up alot and the 2nd night people did not dress up as much.

-

Just checking - you're sure the second formal night was Friday? I had heard it is Thursday. Thanks for the review. :)

Archived