Valor mismanagement

Jacobs4

As I'm reading these posts(i didn't get through quite all of them sorry) I'm left wondering exactly what would have been a satisfactory way of handling the notification situation.

Carnival did:

-Carnival sends out text alerts.

-Carnival sends out emails

-Carnival posted information on their website

-Carnival Compensated fares, lunch, and sometimes hotel space.

-Carnival took cruisers that were at the terminal earlier(who did not get above communications and bussed them to the airport for safety)

oh yeah you could have cancelled your cruise on Sunday 8/26/12 for a FULL REFUND no penalties. That was another option too.

I mean what could they have done differently. Knowing when the ports were going to open was a (???). No one knew that.Heck the port authorities couldn't even make up their mind...2pm, 4pm..etc..

Again, what could they have done differently? Are you referring to the embarkation process, when they finally were allowing cruisers to board? The debarkation process? Or was the website not updated as quickly as you would like? I just don't understand how you could notify people any more than they could when someone is enroute to the terminal. Everyone knew at the time TS Isaac was on it's way. That would make me on alert anyone thinking perhaps possible changes???

Again, how would you expect Carnival(or any cruise line) to handle this situation that would leave you thinking..."wow, they handled that very well. I am happy!"

I dont know about the OP but once I check out of my hotel .. I dont have online access .. so if Carnival posted this after I left my hotel. .. I wouldnt know. Not everyone has a cell phone that can get online.

OP prepare to be flamed .. this board is known for it if you complain. Just walk away. Ignore what most will post how its not Carnival's fault. They handled it beautifully .. its your fault.

I agree. i do not have a smart phone so would have no way of knowing until I got to the port. Now, if they had signs and buses lined up to take me to that Doubletree that would be fine, but otherwise, with no information, I can understand someone being upset.

I happen to be very closely related to a CSR employee at a port and I know for a fact there pay check comes straight from CCL...this link on CCL confirms that.

https://www3.apply2jobs.com/Carnival/ProfExt/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=819&CurrentPage=1

Thank you for that link and I stand corrected for the Port employees of Port Canaveral but I also know for a fact that this is not true for all Ports that Carnival sails from. Many of the Ports are staffed by second party employees as DPG1111 posted.

I dont know about the OP but once I check out of my hotel .. I dont have online access .. so if Carnival posted this after I left my hotel. .. I wouldnt know. Not everyone has a cell phone that can get online.

OP prepare to be flamed .. this board is known for it if you complain. Just walk away. Ignore what most will post how its not Carnival's fault. They handled it beautifully .. its your fault.

Noone is saying it is the OP's fault. However cruising like all travel if there maybe weather issues you need to check before leaving for the ship, airplane, train , bus whatever. If the info about not arriving before 8pm was avl. on line it would be avl. by phone as well. At the same time blaming Carnival is just looking for a reason to bash CCL. Living in the northeast let me tell you 8 hours is no big deal. Flights in the winter are often delayed. And at times it takes the airlines days to catch up. And trust me if CCL was providing a place to wait and food at the Convention center thats a lot more then the airlines give.

You should have as this has nothing to do with the current discussion.

Who said Miami was shut down? I can't find where/when this happened?

But it deals with the reason behind the post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ~ sign the awesome Gailerina!

I beg to differ with you but the people that you see with the Carnival uniforms are second party hires. Carnival subs out the hiring of port personnel to other businesses so although they do wear a Carnival uniform they are not Carnival employees and not directly paid through Carnival.

I don't care how Carnival handles their hiring process, whether they are subcontractors, or whether they work for a third-party hospitality firm hired by Carnival. The money in their paycheck eventually comes from Carnival, even if it passes through a few other hands first. If Carnival allows them to wear a Carnival uniform, Carnival is ultimately responsible for their behavior and actions, as they do represent the company.

One example I can use is schools: many school districts subcontract out cafeteria services to companies like Sodexho or Chartwells, so the lunch ladies (and men) are not actually school district employees. However, those Sodexho and Chartwells employees still have to follow the school district's employee conduct standards, go through the same district background checks, serve food approved by the district, and ultimately can be fired at the request of the district if they aren't performing their job to the standard required by the school.

Letters were given out and guest advised not to get there before 9pm. Most people choose not to listen and head to a port that was forced closed

If you had to fly in on embarkation day, where would you go besides the pier?..I'm sure it's frustrating to go thru this type of senerio but when you think of the folks who are in danger of losing their homes, jobs, and even their life, it doesn't seem that important. Those who travel a lot will eventually reduce this event to just another "war story" told over cocktails.

If you had to fly in on embarkation day, where would you go besides the pier?..I'm sure it's frustrating to go thru this type of senerio but when you think of the folks who are in danger of losing their homes, jobs, and even their life, it doesn't seem that important. Those who travel a lot will eventually reduce this event to just another "war story" told over cocktails.

I've aleady asked this question twice in this thread. Looks like the OP got to the pier, was told they would get lunch & stayed. He certainly should have been given different options. As firefly said somewhere near the beginning of this thread, communication was lacking & made the problem worse. Someone in charge needed to make a decision & implement it. People were going to be unhappy no matter what, but the terminal workers were essentially hung out to dry. People didn't get fed for many hours and got agitated. Not allowing pax in the terminal & giving them options of places to go nearby, maybe OBC to make up for what they spent on food, would have helped & certainly would have made life bearable for the port workers.

What happened to those folks who had Carnival transfers? Where did they end up.

I don't care how Carnival handles their hiring process, whether they are subcontractors, or whether they work for a third-party hospitality firm hired by Carnival. The money in their paycheck eventually comes from Carnival, even if it passes through a few other hands first. If Carnival allows them to wear a Carnival uniform, Carnival is ultimately responsible for their behavior and actions, as they do represent the company.

was that common sense i just read!? LOL

this is exactly what i was thinking. whether these people are CCL employees, or subcontractors, they represent CCL and should be held to the same standards.

I've aleady asked this question twice in this thread. Looks like the OP got to the pier, was told they would get lunch & stayed. He certainly should have been given different options. As firefly said somewhere near the beginning of this thread, communication was lacking & made the problem worse. Someone in charge needed to make a decision & implement it. People were going to be unhappy no matter what, but the terminal workers were essentially hung out to dry. People didn't get fed for many hours and got agitated. Not allowing pax in the terminal & giving them options of places to go nearby, maybe OBC to make up for what they spent on food, would have helped & certainly would have made life bearable for the port workers.

What happened to those folks who had Carnival transfers? Where did they end up.

Why not just leave get a bite and come back. Really? How complicated this isn't.

Exactly. BUT they can be prepared for it.

How can you really prepare for something that you don't know where it will go or when it will get there? Or if it is going to be stong enough to disrupt travel? When there are that many people involved either wanting to get on and eat or want to get off and leave, it is a madhouse. Sometimes you do the best you can

What if (not so hypothetically) . . . the cruise port at New Orleans experienced challenges, and also had limited electricity. What if that limited electrical service in the entire area also affected cell/internet service. What if Carnival created online information updates and potentially sent out text messages to detail upcoming changes . . .

Kinda like the old riddle: If a tree falls in the woods, and no one it there to hear it, does it make a sound?

I hope those passengers who have to fend for themselves won't receive the Damned If You Do -- Damned If You Don't treatment from Cruise Critic membership.

What if (not so hypothetically) . . . the cruise port at New Orleans experienced challenges, and also had limited electricity. What if that limited electrical service in the entire area also affected cell/internet service. What if Carnival created online information updates and potentially sent out text messages to detail upcoming changes . . .

Kinda like the old riddle: If a tree falls in the woods, and no one it there to hear it, does it make a sound?

I hope those passengers who have to fend for themselves won't receive the Damned If You Do -- Damned If You Don't treatment from Cruise Critic membership.

Everything you stated DID NOT happen in the case. Procedures cannot be locked in stone and must be dealt with on each indivual bases.

Everything you stated DID NOT happen in the case. Procedures cannot be locked in stone and must be dealt with on each indivual bases.

Actually, absolutely nothing I stated happened in this (topic of thread) case. I just wanted to tag onto this one, rather than starting a new, and potentially controversial, thread from scratch.

Sorry - No confusion intended.

:)

CARNIVAL ELATION 8/30 DEPARTURE

Our scheduled 4-day cruise will be shortened to a 3-day Fun Cruise @ Sea departing on Friday, August 31, 2012. Please proceed to the Port of New Orleans and plan to arrive between 1:00 PM and 4:00 PM on Friday. The parking garage at the port will be open. Busses will take guests and their luggage to Mobile.

We sincerely apologize for this disruption to your cruise. Here are your options.

Sail with us and receive a:

- 50% refund of your cruise fare (refunded within the next 2 weeks)

- 25% future cruise discount (restrictions apply)

- Gratuities will be adjusted

- Refund of government fees and taxes

- Refunds will not be provided for flight changes, hotel accommodations, meals, transfers, or other incidental costs

Should you wish to cancel or reschedule, please contact 1-800-CARNIVAL to request your future cruise credit.

Guest who purchased flights with Carnival’s FlyAweigh program will automatically have their flights adjusted to the new day and time. You will be notified of your new flights by our Travel Services department. Guests with independent flight arrangements, please adjust your travel plans accordingly.

To stay up to date on any changes, we encourage you to sign up for text alerts by texting CCL1 to CRUISE (278473). If you have already done so during your online check-in, you will automatically receive updates.

Once again, we’re very sorry that Mother Nature did not cooperate with our plans. However, we’re confident you’ll have loads of fun on board.

At the moment, there are no changes expected for any other sailings departing on or after Thursday, August 30, 2012. In the event we need to make a deviation to a future itinerary, we will update our guests.

CARNIVAL ELATION 8/30 DEPARTURE

Our scheduled 4-day cruise will be shortened to a 3-day Fun Cruise @ Sea departing on Friday, August 31, 2012. Please proceed to the Port of New Orleans and plan to arrive between 1:00 PM and 4:00 PM on Friday. The parking garage at the port will be open. Busses will take guests and their luggage to Mobile.

We sincerely apologize for this disruption to your cruise. Here are your options.

Sail with us and receive a:

- 50% refund of your cruise fare (refunded within the next 2 weeks)

- 25% future cruise discount (restrictions apply)

- Gratuities will be adjusted

- Refund of government fees and taxes

- Refunds will not be provided for flight changes, hotel accommodations, meals, transfers, or other incidental costs

Should you wish to cancel or reschedule, please contact 1-800-CARNIVAL to request your future cruise credit.

Guest who purchased flights with Carnival’s FlyAweigh program will automatically have their flights adjusted to the new day and time. You will be notified of your new flights by our Travel Services department. Guests with independent flight arrangements, please adjust your travel plans accordingly.

To stay up to date on any changes, we encourage you to sign up for text alerts by texting CCL1 to CRUISE (278473). If you have already done so during your online check-in, you will automatically receive updates.

Once again, we’re very sorry that Mother Nature did not cooperate with our plans. However, we’re confident you’ll have loads of fun on board.

At the moment, there are no changes expected for any other sailings departing on or after Thursday, August 30, 2012. In the event we need to make a deviation to a future itinerary, we will update our guests.

So does this mean you will be cruising out of Mobile late friday night?How long of a drive is that?

So does this mean you will be cruising out of Mobile late friday night?How long of a drive is that?

We are not on this one....

it is probably the same distance from New Orleans to Mobile as it was from Tampa to Port Canaveral.... about 2 to 2 1/2 hours..

I think someone might have already hinted to this on here but. One thing that we all have overlooked. Was on Carnival's web site not to arrive till 8pm. And if you needded a place to wait to go to the Sheraton Conv. center. OP question how were they to know this, however they posted on here while waiting, only conculison that can thus be reached. OP had internet access, had access to info but still chouse to sit at terminal for hours. Then complain about mismanagment by carnival.

We are not on this one....

it is probably the same distance from New Orleans to Mobile as it was from Tampa to Port Canaveral.... about 2 to 2 1/2 hours..

OK. So it sounds like a late boarding. But I guess it will be easier to get to the ocean than down the miss.

The compensation sounds good

It's amazing how cranky people get when they go more than 4 hours without eating. Geez Louis people, you can go a few days without food before dying so a few hours isn't really going to kill you! I do understand some people do have reasons they need to eat, but 99% of people don't! If Carnival brought in sandwiches that would just bring out another set of whiners!!! I want ham, I don't like american cheese, I paid $800 bucks for a cruise and get a lousy sandwich. Some people need to realize food isn't a #1 priority every hour of the day! When that day comes maybe our nation won't be so obese!

Archived