How does "Upgrade Preferences" work?

On the C&A section of RC's website, it only gives you two choices:

1. I prefer an automatic upgrade

2. I would like an upgrade but have restrictions (then gives you several restrictions to choose from, none of which really apply to me)

So, if I choose automatic, does that mean they give me a new cabin and they DON'T ask me beforehand if I want it? In other words, will I get a chance to say yes or no??

Or do I have to choose restrictions before they will consider me for an upgrade and contact me beforehand???

Just trying to figure out what they mean. What I would like is something like:

3. I do want an upgrade, but want to be contacted first to see where the new location is and have the chance to decline...........;)

but they don't have that choice. :(

On the C&A section of RC's website, it only gives you two choices:

1. I prefer an automatic upgrade

2. I would like an upgrade but have restrictions (then gives you several restrictions to choose from, none of which really apply to me)

So, if I choose automatic, does that mean they give me a new cabin and they DON'T ask me beforehand if I want it? In other words, will I get a chance to say yes or no??

Or do I have to choose restrictions before they will consider me for an upgrade and contact me beforehand???

Just trying to figure out what they mean. What I would like is something like:

3. I do want an upgrade, but want to be contacted first to see where the new location is and have the chance to decline...........;)

but they don't have that choice. :(

The upgrade preferences on the website are not programmed well at all. There's no way to say you want an upgrade, but to have them call you to confirm. In order to get this option, you have to call C&A and tell them this is what you want.

In order to get this option, you have to call C&A and tell them this is what you want.

Oh, OK, I can do that. Thanks!

So, when people here post about getting a call from the upgrade fairy, does that even have to do with the C&A upgrade preferences? or does the upgrade fairy make random calls to ANYONE who has a booking on that particular sailing?? (In other words, do you even have to be a C&A member to get a call from the upgrade fairy?

Oh, OK, I can do that. Thanks!

So, when people here post about getting a call from the upgrade fairy, does that even have to do with the C&A upgrade preferences? or does the upgrade fairy make random calls to ANYONE who has a booking on that particular sailing?? (In other words, do you even have to be a C&A member to get a call from the upgrade fairy?

The answer is "it depends". It seems most of the upgrades these days come from the revenue people in Miami. These upgrades can go to anyone, regardless of C&A status. If there are staterooms left after the revenue dept. has done their upgrades, then C&A gets to choose who to upgrade, and this is supposedly done based on C&A status.

Archived