soooo im packing for my cruise tomorrow....

jetsfan526

and my suitcase is overflowing :eek:... anyways, im looking for tips to lighten it up and take out the extras... for eating in the main dining rooms, what exactly do you have to wear if your a guy? can i come in in shorts or a t-shirt? or it has to be nice pants/jeans and a polo/button-down? do girls have to dress it up to? i guess this is mainly a question for dinner seating...

thnx!

and my suitcase is overflowing :eek:... anyways, im looking for tips to lighten it up and take out the extras... for eating in the main dining rooms, what exactly do you have to wear if your a guy? can i come in in shorts or a t-shirt? or it has to be nice pants/jeans and a polo/button-down? do girls have to dress it up to? i guess this is mainly a question for dinner seating...

thnx!

DH wears nice knee-length golf-type shorts and a nice polo or Tommy Bahama shirt on the casual nights, I wouldn't recommend a t-shirt. And on the elegant nights (or in the steakhouse), he wears slacks and a dress shirt, sometimes with tie, sometimes without, and no jacket. Ladies can wear capris or long pants or skirt or knee-length shorts and nice shirt on casual nights and then either a dress (doesn't hve to be too fancy) or long pants and nice top on elegant nights.

Guys can wear nice jeans or khakis and golf type shirts, I think also nice shorts and shirts EXCEPT on elegant night - no jeans or shorts or t's.

Girls can wear sun dresses, capris, nice shorts, etc. except on elegant night no shorts or jeans.

On casual nights my dad and I always wear shorts and a nice t-shirt. We have never had any problems. I am sure you will have other people on here say that wearing a t-shirt to the dining room isn't the proper dining attire but oh well that is what we are comfortable wearing :)

I've seen plenty of men wearing cargo and khaki shorts with nice t-shirts on casual days. Even my own kids were that and had no problems. Same for girls or a nice sun-dress will suffice. My kids opted not to do Elegant night this last time around, so I had extra room in our suitcases for souvenirs. We just stuck to the buffet lines on those nights.

If you are married remember to consult with your wife. :). On our first cruise I let my hubby know that it was important to me for him to get a little dressed up at dinner (shirt and tie) since we don't do this much at home. This time around he'll bring 1 or 2 ties for the first night and Formal night, but I won't fuss if he opts for polo shirts most nights.

That said, if you are cruising to warm weather try to cut down on the number of pants/jeans you pack. Who will notice if you wear the same pair twice if it's only for evening wear?

DH's packing list is two pair of dockers, short sleeve button downs (7 for a 7day), walking shoes, flip flops, one pr of shorts and trunks.

He won't wear a suit or tie, but a long sleeve dress shirt and tie are fine for CE night.

We packed last night. We got space saver bags from Wal Mart, the kind you vacuum the air out of. We have our clothes for an 8 day cruise and 2 days in FL all in 2 carry-ons.

Just make sure they are the type that you can also roll, unless you also plan to bring a vacuum to pack on the way home.

On a cruise I am on vacation, I won't bring long pants on the ship and maybe only 2 collared polo shirts. Then again I only hit the MDR about twice. We don't care for the MDR ( last 2 cruises we had un-hot food, unsociable waiters and too long a wait). Another reason is the rule..proper dress required...I don't bring it, so I don't go. It's simple really, just obey the rules. If I did dress up and go to elegant, a guy in a T-shirt next to me would tick me off.

Roll your clothes! You can get so much more in a suitcase this way. Take only a couple pair of pants and you can wear them more than one night.

I have heard this. So at the risk of sounding dumb, do you roll each item individually, several at a time or what?

its a cruise to canada so i got to fit in sweaters and jackets and sweatpants right? ugh.. maybe ill just grab a bigger suitcase lol

I don't think it will be that cold - maybe a bit chilly in the evenings. I wouldn't suggest a big coat or sweaters.

Maybe a lightweight windbreaker type jacket and a hoodie to layer if needed.

It's still summer here too in Canada! :)

J

I was just on the Canada cruise last week. It was pretty warm. Bring a light jacket for the early mornings, especially when it's foggy. It can get a little chilly. Other than that, shorts we're fine. It was even warm enough to use the pool and water slide.

We packed last night. We got space saver bags from Wal Mart, the kind you vacuum the air out of. We have our clothes for an 8 day cruise and 2 days in FL all in 2 carry-ons.

Only problem is that when you head for home if you did not buy the roll out the air kind, where is your vaccum to get the air out?? At HOME! You can ask the steward for one but they are not always available when you need them and not that clean.

We're going on the Miracle Sept 11. We haven't been on Carnival since 1989, but have been on Princess, Celebrity, RCCL. So.....Carnival let men show their knees in the MDR???? My DH will be so glad to hear this! I knew CCL was less formal, but I thought that "less formal" meant long jeans for men were allowed. I'm happy to hear this! More room for my stuff in our bags!

Have a great time on your cruise!

We're going on the Miracle Sept 11. We haven't been on Carnival since 1989, but have been on Princess, Celebrity, RCCL. So.....Carnival let men show their knees in the MDR???? My DH will be so glad to hear this! I knew CCL was less formal, but I thought that "less formal" meant long jeans for men were allowed. I'm happy to hear this! More room for my stuff in our bags!

Have a great time on your cruise!

PSST...You didn't hear this from me, but.....flip flops were allowed in the MDR too.

Shorts in the dining room? Ugh. Sweatpants anywhere but your house? Bigger ugh.

Personally, I don't care what someone else wears, but for me I dress for where I am. Nice dining=nice clothes.

Sweatpants, (trashy, sorry but they are) well I don't own any and if I did they would definitely be for home use only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived