Seabourn Antarctica

shefinch

PS - Once again, I must apologize for not being able to find the details on the SB website that you are able to find. Perhaps that is because unlike you, ST (oops, PS), I have not been around the globe "countless times". In any event, the description of the SBN Antarctic Experience includes that little "co", meaning "cruising only". Where are you getting your info that there will be landings? And how many landings will there be?

I will admit my bias that Antarctica is best visited on a dedicated expedition ship. We had the great fortune to visit South Georgia and Antarctica for several weeks on the luxury expedition ship, Hanseatic. The skipper on that ship had, as of our sailing, more than 14 years of navigating in Antarctica. All things considered, I would prefer a skipper who had experienced the waters of Antarctica hundreds of times rather than a SB skipper who had never been in those waters.

In your post above, you cite a number of other cruises that are "sail by" cruises, rather than ones with landings. How is that a comparison to the SB cruises that you have mentioned?

Have your SB sources indicated how they plan to do 100-pax maximum landings with 400-plux passengers? That will not likely allow two landings per day for each passenger, as is standard on expedition vessels. It might even be a stretch to allow one short landing per day for each passenger.

SB is a wonderful luxury product; but this attempt to become a quasi-expedition product seems a bit misguided and certainly cannot compare to a proper expedition experience in Antarctica.

Cheers, Fred

Edited by freddie

PS - Where are you getting your info that there will be landings? And how many landings will there be?

I will admit my bias that Antarctica is best visited on a dedicated expedition ship. We had the great fortune to visit South Georgia and Antarctica for several weeks on the luxury expedition ship, Hanseatic. The skipper on that ship had, as of our sailing, more than 14 years of navigating in Antarctica. All things considered, I would prefer a skipper who had experienced the waters of Antarctica hundreds of times rather than a SB skipper who had never been in those waters.

In your post above, you cite a number of other cruises that are "sail by" cruises, rather than ones with landings. How is that a comparison to the SB cruises that you have mentioned?

Have your SB sources indicated how they plan to do 100-pax maximum landings with 400-plux passengers? That will not likely allow two landings per day for each passenger, as is standard on expedition vessels. It might even be a stretch to allow one short landing per day for each passenger.

SB is a wonderful luxury product; but this attempt to become a quasi-expedition product seems a bit misguided and certainly cannot compare to a proper expedition experience in Antarctica. Cheers, Fred

Fred, I mentionned the other cruiselines to show how many major cruiselines are going. None of them provide a landing other than Princess on the Star Princess has a one day excursion which I have done from Punta Arenas to King Fisher Island for the day by plane and you atr on the ground for approx. 5 hours ...only yours for $2200.00 and this was 3 years ago.

On a separate note regarding teh experience of the Captain on Seabourn, surely one of the Captain's on Seabourn has extensive sea ice experience probaby in the previous years as Master of a cargo ship or similar vessel. I am not concerned really with Seabourn providing an experienced Captain for those waters as I am sure they will no doubt.

The 100 person landings as I have been told by the Office will be on a 1 hour visit basis ashore; in other words they will have continuous service going ashore in groups at various times throughout the day. Based on the 5 days being there on average 100 paxs per day everyone will have the chance to at least experience it once if not twice as I am sure many people will sign up but due to mobility issues perhaps with some, many will opt out to stay onboard and not go in a zodiac. I did the zodiac run while in King Fisher Island to Amelia Island by zodiac and you need be somewhat physically fit and on your toes.

My own personal view, is that Seabourn is not trying to offer so much an "expedition cruise" but rather a new frontier for those that "have been there and done that" more than anything. Remember they are outsourcing all of this expertise by contractors for these four sailings, to run the landings part, naturalists, geologists, scientist, guest speakers etc. I think this will be a first in the Luxury Market and we will soon see next year how it goes. We should also know by year end which islands/ports they will be doing the landings at once they bid on the permits according to the Antarctica Treaty.

Edited by PremiumSuite

PS - Where are you getting your info that there will be landings? And how many landings will there be?

freddie

I had posted this as well one the first page of this thread the actual email I got from the Office and also the detailed itineraries for each votyage. Where it says SBN Antarctic Experience during those 5 consecutive days in Antarctica, the landings will take place between pre-set times.

I have re-posted below the original email for your from the Office regarding the explanation given on the "landings" which I will admit is very limited in terms of content and explanations.

I hope this all helps answer some of your questions/concerns. Also you can now go on the Seabourn Website to see each voyage in greater detail with sail times and additional information that is provided.

I think we will all know much more as time goes by and certainly by years end or in the begining of the new year.

I for one am very positive and upbeat about these voyages going smoothly and without a glitch.

I can well imagine all the planning and logistics that must have to go into a voyage such as these four in Antarctica and certianly they have well over 15 months to plan ahead and make sure everything is in place. I am sure they will encounter problems at some point on one of the earlier voyages as they will have nothing previously to base themselves and be totally dependant on these hired contractors for providing the Expedition part of the cruise.

As I said, let's see but I think it all can be accomplished and done in true Seabourn style and with no doubt many "Seabourn Moments" to take away.

We are have now opened the Quest voyages for the remainder of 2013-first quarter 2014 to our guests holding future cruise bookings. We will open these voyages up to the general public by end of the day Monday.

The holiday sailing on the Quest will embark on Wednesday December 11, 2013 and will sail through Saturday January 4, 2014 for a 24 day South America and Antarctica experience. I have pasted the itinerary being offered below. As with all expedition cruising, cruise operators are not be able to bid on islands for possible landings until 2013 so we will not publish the islands we will attempt to visit. All landings are subject to weather and sea conditions regardless of schedule. More information will be available on this when as we get it.

Edited by PremiumSuite

About two weeks ago I booked my first Seabourn cruise - 14 nights in the Med next year. With over 200 cruise days on Princess, Cunard, Holland America (and soon to add Celebrity), I am not new to cruising, but I am very excited to finally be able to try Seabourn.

Having made my first Seabourn cruise commitment, I am now completely intrigued by the Antartica cruises in 2013/14. Wow, they are not cheap, but what an opportunity! I am going to seriously consider one of the three cruises on offer. I will need to do some more homework, but a quick look at the Silversea Expedition options showed that Seabourn is considerably cheaper. I know it is not "apples with apples" because the ships are very different, but it has only added to my interest in finding out more.

We cruised around Cape Horn in early 2011 and the sea was like glass. I know that weather is highly variable, particularly in that part of the world, and the 5 days in Antartica could be terrible weather-wise. Still.......I am off to do some research!

Anyone else interested?

Hello Cruising Kirby.

Just an FYI, the website now has all of the itineraries published online for you to look at and compare each sailing from Nov 20th, 2013 to Jan 24, 2014. I think many people will be booking these cruises and quickly as it is a "one of kind" type of experience to be doing this on a 6 star cruiseline and in the Antarctic for a once in a lifetime experience. My hunch is they will not have to do price reductions at all on these 4 cruises unless god forbid the economy takes another nose dive again.

As to the weather, people should be forewarned that Antarctica is totally weather dependant and if the weather cooperates it's like nothing else on earth to experince. The weather in Antarctica can change very quickly and within less than an hour or on a dime as I would say so you should keep that all in mind as well.

Edited by PremiumSuite

I went to Anarctica on the MS Fram a few years ago and don't worry about the size of the ship.

I think it is better because you can have more amenities, better food, and not get bored.

Landings: 2 a day 1 hour ashore by law.

100 paxs onshore by law.

On the way back you usually do a scenic cruise in your zodiac (up close for photographing icebergs, wildlife, swimming seals & penguins, etc).

This is about 30 minutes.

This is also the time when you will be icy cold that hits your bones due to the moving zodiac.

Ashore was hot!

By the time you reach your ship and change out of your snow waterproof clothes it is about 2 hours.

On landing days (mostly everyday) this is your routine TWICE a day.

The Routine is quite hectic and 1 hour is more than enough time onshore.

Breakfast

landing lecture

Landing- 2 hours

Nap

Lunch

Landing lecture

Landing- 2 hours

Tea Time

Nap or hang out

Dinner

Drinks at the bar and making new friends

Sleep or watch TV in your room

The groups are called in shifts. You first stop in the changing room to get into your wellies and put on your gloves, hats, etc, before hopping on the zodiac.

It is NOT chaotic at all. The turns change as well. If your group was called last then you will be first next time.

The groups are per zodiac and if I remember correctly there were 7 groups. (I might have this wrong). I just read the Fram holds 230 paxs.

Only your small group (however many fit in the zodiac) are allowed in the wet room.

On the way back you board the Zodiac. At your leisure.

We made all of our landings and I was on the on the last cruise of the season.

I timed it with Carnavale in Brazil. I believe 2009.

There were loads of penguins and the weather was hot.

I post this because you read a lot of things on the Internet that are not true.

For those that are wheelchair bound I will include this.

There was a lady that broke her leg before her trip but came along with her husband.

She wore a cast and was in a wheel chair.

She boarded the zodiac for all her landings (she was in my zodiac group), but physically could not go ashore as most of the beachfront is jagged rocks, slippery, and wet kinda like a riverbank.

They took her on cruises along the shoreline instead and she was happy.

Many penguins swimming and showing off, anyways.

I believe the easiest landing was the one with the old whaling station. Is this Deception

Island? I think she made it to the Argentine Base.

I hope this helps get a sense of big ship cruising in Antarctica.

p.s. My favorite was Neko Harbor and the scenery in general.

The snow is high and makes a slide where you can come down on your bum.

The penguins slide next to you on their bellies.

Too cute!

They also follow you everywhere and mimic what you are doing.

Very curious little darlings.

WanderLust Living...I was looking at your daily routine above and I would be exhausted as well and in bed by 8:00pm.

Edited by PremiumSuite

About two weeks ago I booked my first Seabourn cruise - 14 nights in the Med next year. With over 200 cruise days on Princess, Cunard, Holland America (and soon to add Celebrity), I am not new to cruising, but I am very excited to finally be able to try Seabourn.

Having made my first Seabourn cruise commitment, I am now completely intrigued by the Antartica cruises in 2013/14. Wow, they are not cheap, but what an opportunity! I am going to seriously consider one of the three cruises on offer. I will need to do some more homework, but a quick look at the Silversea Expedition options showed that Seabourn is considerably cheaper. I know it is not "apples with apples" because the ships are very different, but it has only added to my interest in finding out more.

We cruised around Cape Horn in early 2011 and the sea was like glass. I know that weather is highly variable, particularly in that part of the world, and the 5 days in Antartica could be terrible weather-wise. Still.......I am off to do some research!

Anyone else interested?

CruisingKirby

Just my opinion nut I think the the following itinerary is the best since it incorporates the most time spent in Antarctica and South Georgia Island which the other 3 cruises do not provide.

24-day Holiday Antarctica, Patagonia & South Georgia Island

12/11

WED

VALPARAíSO (SANTIAGO), CHILE

12/12

Thu

At Sea (Pacific Ocean)

12/13

Fri

Scenic cruising Reloncaví Sound

Puerto Montt, Chile

12/14

Sat

Castro, Isla Chiloé, Chile

Scenic cruising Gulf of Corcovado

12/15

Sun

Puerto Chacabuco, Chile

12/16

Mon

Scenic cruising Chilean Fjords

12/17

Tue

Scenic cruising Amalia Glacier

Scenic cruising Canal Sarmiento

12/18

Wed

Scenic cruising Strait of Magellan

Punta Arenas, Chile

Scenic cruising Cockburn Channel

12/19

Thu

Scenic cruising Glacier Alley

Scenic cruising Beagle Channel

12/20

Fri

Ushuaia, Argentina

12/21

Sat

Passing Cape Horn

12/22

Sun

The SBN Antarctic Experience (day 1)

12/23

Mon

The SBN Antarctic Experience (day 2)

12/24

Tue

The SBN Antarctic Experience (day 3)

12/25

Wed

The SBN Antarctic Experience (day 4)

12/26

Thu

The SBN Antarctic Experience (day 5)

12/27

Fri

At Sea

12/28

Sat

At Sea

12/29

Sun

Grytviken, South Georgia

12/30

Mon

Grytviken, South Georgia

12/31

Tue

At Sea (Atlantic Ocean)

01/01

Wed

At Sea

01/02

Thu

At Sea

01/03

Fri

Montevideo, Uruguay

01/04

SAT

BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA

Edited by PremiumSuite

XVIII-1: Tourism and non-Governmental Activities

The Representatives,

Reaffirming the exceptional character of the Antarctic environment given in particular the

fragility of its fauna and flora and of the setting which the Antarctic offers for the conduct of

scientific activities;

Acknowledging the increase in the development of tourist activities in the Antarctic;

Noting that those who visit the Antarctic and organise or conduct tourism and non-governmental

activities in the Antarctic are currently subject to legally binding obligations pursuant to national

legislation implementing the Antarctic Treaty and associated legal instruments;

Noting further that such visitors or organisers will be subject to additional legally binding

obligations upon entry into force of the Protocol on Environmental Protection to the Antarctic

Treaty;

Recognizing the need for visitors and organisers to have practical guidance on how best to plan

and carry out any visits to the Antarctic;

Recalling the Final Act of the Eleventh Special Antarctic Treaty the Protocol was adopted, in

which the Consultative Meeting, at which signatories of the Final Act decided that the Annexes

of the Protocol should be applied in accordance with their legal systems and to the extent

practicable;

Desiring to ensure that those who visit the Antarctic carry out their visits or tours strictly in

accordance with existing obligations and in so far as is consistent with existing national law, in

accordance with the Protocol, pending its entry into force;

Desiring further to facilitate the early entry into force of the Protocol and of the implementation

of its provisions in relation to those who visit or 41 organise tours to the Antarctic.

Recommend to their Governments that:

1. They circulate widely and as quickly as possible the Guidance for Visitors to the Antarctic, and

the Guidance for Those Organising and Conducting, Tourism, and, Non-governmental

Activities in the Antarctic annexed to this Recommendation.

2. They urge those intending to visit or organise and conduct tourism and non-governmental

activities in the Antarctic to act in accordance with the attached guidance consistent with the

relevant provisions of their applicable national law.

ATTACHMENT

Guidance for Visitors to the Antarctic

Activities in the Antarctic are governed by the Antarctic Treaty of 1959 and associated

agreements, referred to collectively as the Antarctic Treaty system. The Treaty established

Antarctica as a zone of peace and science.

In 1991, the Antarctic Treaty Consultative Parties adopted the Protocol on Environmental

Protection to the Antarctic Treaty, which designates the Antarctic as a natural reserve. The

Protocol sets out environmental principles, procedures and obligations for the comprehensive

protection of the Antarctic environment, and its dependent and associated ecosystems. The

Consultative Parties have agreed that, pending its entry into force, as far as possible and in

accordance with their legal system, the provisions of the Protocol should be applied as

appropriate.

The Environmental Protocol applies to tourism and non-governmental activities as well as

governmental activities in the Antarctic Treaty Area. It is intended to ensure that these activities

do not have adverse impacts on the Antarctic environment, or on its scientific and aesthetic

values.

This Guidance for Visitors to the Antarctic is intended to ensure that all visitors are aware of,

and are therefore able to comply with, the Treaty and the Protocol. Visitors are, of course, bound

by national laws and regulations applicable to activities in the Antarctic.

A) PROTECT ANTARCTIC WILDLIFE

1)Taking or harmful interference with Antarctic wildlife is prohibited except in accordance with

a permit issued by a national authority.

2) Do not use aircraft, vessels, small boats, or other means of transport in ways that disturb

wildlife, either at sea or on land.

3) Do not feed, touch, or handle birds or seals, or approach or photograph them in ways that

cause them to alter their behavior. Special care is needed when animals are breeding or

moulting.

4) Do not damage plants, for example by walking, driving, or landing on extensive moss beds or

lichen-covered scree slopes.

5) Do not use guns or explosives. Keep noise to the minimum to avoid frightening wildlife.

6) Do not bring non-native plants or animals into the Antarctic (e.g. live poultry, pet dogs and

cats, house plants).

B) RESPECT PROTECTED AREAS

A variety of areas in the Antarctic have been afforded special protection because of their

particular ecological, scientific, historic or other values. Entry into certain areas may be

prohibited except in accordance with a permit issued by an appropriate national authority.

Activities in and near designated Historic Sites and Monuments and certain other areas may be

subject to special restrictions.

1) Know the locations of areas that have been afforded special protection and any restrictions

regarding entry and activities that can be carried out in and near them.

2) Observe applicable restrictions.

3) Do not damage, remove or destroy Historic Sites or Monuments, or any artefacts associated

with them.

C) RESPECT SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH

Do not interfere with scientific research, facilities or equipment.

1) Obtain permission before visiting Antarctic science and logistic support facilities; reconfirm

arrangements 24-72 hours before arriving; and comply strictly with the rules regarding such

visits.

2) Do not interfere with, or remove, scientific equipment or marker posts, and do not disturb

experimental study sites, field camps, or supplies.

D) BE SAFE

Be prepared for severe and changeable weather. Ensure that your equipment and clothing meet

Antarctic standards. Remember that the Antarctic environment is inhospitable, unpredictable and

potentially dangerous.

1) Know your capabilities, the dangers posed by the Antarctic, environment, and act accordingly.

Plan activities with safety in mind at all times.

2) Keep a safe distance from all wildlife, both on land and at sea.

3) Take note of, and act on, the advice and instructions from your leaders; do not stray from your

group.

4) Do not walk onto glaciers, or large snow fields without proper equipment and experience;

there is a real danger of falling into hidden crevasses.

5) Do not expect a rescue service; self-sufficiency is increased and risks reduced by sound

planning, quality equipment, and trained personnel.

6) Do not enter emergency refuges (except in emergencies). If you use equipment or food from a

refuge, inform the nearest research station or national authority once the emergency is over.

7) Respect any smoking restrictions, particularly around buildings, and take great care to

safeguard against the danger of fire. This is a real hazard in the dry environment of Antarctica.

E) KEEP ANTARCTICA PRISTINE

Antarctica remains relatively pristine, and has not yet been subjected to large scale humanperturbations. It is the largest wilderness area on earth. Please keep it that way.

1) Do not dispose of litter or garbage on land. Open burning is prohibited.

2) Do not disturb or pollute lakes or streams. Any materials discarded at sea must be disposed of

properly.

3) Do not paint or engrave names or graffiti on rocks or buildings.

4) Do not collect or take away biological or geological specimens or man-made artefacts as a

souvenir, including rocks, bones, eggs, fossils, and parts or contents of buildings.

5) Do not deface or vandalise buildings, whether abandoned, or unoccupied, or emergency

refuges.

Guidance for those Organising and Conducting

Tourism and Non-governmental Activities in the Antarctic

Antarctica is the largest wilderness area on earth, unaffected by large scale human activities.

Accordingly, this unique and pristine environment has been afforded special protection.

Furthermore, it is physically remote, inhospitable, unpredictable and potentially dangerous. All

activities in the Antarctic Treaty Area, therefore, should be planned and conducted with both

environmental protection and safety in mind.

Activities in the Antarctic are subject to the Antarctic Treaty of 1959 and associated legal

instruments, referred to collectively as the Antarctic Treaty system. These include the

Convention for the Conservation of Antarctic Seals (CCAS 1972), the Convention on the

Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources (CCAMLR 1980) and the Recommendations

and other measures adopted by the Antarctic Treaty Consultative Parties under the Antarctic

Treaty.

In 1991, the Consultative Parties to the Antarctic Treaty adopted the Protocol on Environmental

Protection to the Antarctic Treaty. This Protocol sets out environmental principles, procedures

and obligations for the comprehensive protection of the Antarctic environment, and its dependent

and associated ecosystems. The Consultative Parties have agreed that, pending its entry into

force, as far as possible and in accordance with their legal systems, that the provisions of the

Protocol should be applied as appropriate.

The Environmental Protocol designates Antarctica as a natural reserve devoted to peace and

science, and applies to both governmental and non-governmental activities in the Antarctic

Treaty Area. The Protocol seeks to ensure that human activities, including tourism, do not have

adverse impacts on the Antarctic environment, nor on its scientific and aesthetic values.

The Protocol states, as a matter of principle, that all activities are to be planned and conducted on

the basis of information sufficient to evaluate their possible impact on the Antarctic environment

and its associated ecosystems, and on the value of Antarctica for the conduct of scientific

research. Organisers should be aware that the Environmental Protocol requires that “activities

shall be modified, suspended or cancelled if they result in or threaten to result in impacts upon

the Antarctic environment or dependent or associated ecosystems.”

Those responsible for organising and conducting tourism and non-governmental activities must

comply fully with national laws and regulations which implement the Antarctic Treaty system, as

well as other national laws and regulations implementing international agreements on

environmental protection, pollution and safety that relate to the Antarctic Treaty Area. They

should also abide by the requirements imposed on organisers and operators under the Protocol on

Environmental Protection and its Annexes, in so far as they have not yet been implemented in

national law.

KEY OBLIGATIONS ON ORGANISERS AND OPERATORS

1) Provide prior notification of, and reports on, their activities to the competent authorities of the

appropriate Party or Parties.

2) Conduct an assessment of the potential environmental impacts of their planned activities.

3) Provide for effective response to environmental emergencies, especially with regard to marine

pollution.

4) Ensure self-sufficiency and safe operations.

5) Respect scientific research and the Antarctic environment, including restrictions regarding

protected areas, and the protection of flora and fauna.

6) Prevent the disposal and discharge of prohibited waste.

PROCEDURES TO BE FOLLOWED BY ORGANISERS AND OPERATORS

A) When planning to go to the Antarctic

Organisers and operators should:

1) Notify the competent national authorities of the appropriate Party or Parties of details of their

planned activities with sufficient time to enable the Party(ies) to comply with their

information exchange obligations under Article VII(5) of the Antarctic Treaty. The

information to be provided is listed in Attachment A.

2) Conduct an environmental assessment in accordance with such procedures as may have been

established in national law to give effect to Annex I of the Protocol, including, if appropriate,

how potential impacts will be monitored.

3) Obtain timely permission from the national authorities responsible for any stations they

propose to visit.

4) Provide information to assist in the preparation of contingency response plans in accordance

with Article 15 of the Protocol; waste management plans in accordance with Annex III of the

Protocol; and marine pollution contingency plans in accordance with Annex IV of the

Protocol.

5) Ensure that expedition leaders and passengers are aware of the location and special regimes

which apply to Specially Protected Areas and Sites of Special Scientific Interest (and on entry

into force of the Protocol, Antarctic Specially Protected Areas and Antarctic Specially

Managed Areas) and of Historic Sites and Monuments and, in particular, relevant

management plans.

6) Obtain a permit, where required by national law, from the competent national authority of t

appropriate Party or Parties, should they have a reason to enter such areas, or a monitoring site

(CEMP Site) designated under CCAMLR.

7) Ensure that activities are fully self-sufficient and do not require assistance from Parties unless

arrangements for it have been agreed in advance.

8) Ensure that they employ experienced and trained personnel, including a sufficient number of

guides.

9) Arrange to use equipment, vehicles, vessels, and aircraft appropriate to Antarctic operations.

10) Be fully conversant with applicable communications, navigation, air traffic control and

emergency procedures.

11) Obtain the best available maps and hydrographic charts, recognising that many areas are not

fully or accurately surveyed.

12) Consider the question of insurance (subject to requirements of national law).

13) Design and conduct information and education programmes to ensure that all personnel and

visitors are aware of relevant provisions of the Antarctic Treaty system.

14) Provide visitors with a copy of the Guidance for Visitors to the Antarctic.

B) When in the Antarctic Treaty Area

Organisers and operators should:

1) Comply with all requirements of the Antarctic Treaty system and relevant national laws, and

ensure that visitors are aware of requirements that are relevant to them.

2) Reconfirm arrangements to visit stations 24-72 hours before their arrival and ensure that

visitors are aware of any conditions or restrictions established by the station.

3) Ensure that visitors are supervised by a sufficient number of guides who have adequate

experience and training in Antarctic conditions and knowledge of the Antarctic Treaty system

requirements.

4) Monitor environmental impacts of their activities, if appropriate, and advise the competent

national authorities of the appropriate Party or Parties of any adverse or cumulative impacts

resulting from an activity, but which were not foreseen by their environmental impact

assessment.

5) Operate ships, yachts, small boats, aircraft, hovercraft, and all other means of transport safely

and according to appropriate procedures, including those set out in the Antarctic Flight

Information Manual (AFIM).

6) Dispose of waste materials in accordance with Annex III and IV of the Protocol. These

annexes prohibit, among other things, the discharge of plastics, oil and noxious substances

into the Antarctic Treaty Area; regulate the discharge of sewage and food waste; and, require

the removal of most wastes from the area.

7) Co-operate fully with observers designated by Consultative Parties to conduct inspections of

stations, ships, aircraft and equipment under Article VII of the Antarctic Treaty, and those to

be designated under Article 14 of the Environmental Protocol.

8) Co-operate in monitoring programmes undertaken in accordance with Article 3(2)(d) of the

Protocol.

9) Maintain a careful and complete record of their activities conducted.

C) On completion of the activities

Within three months of the end of the activity, organisers and operators should report on the

conduct of it to the appropriate national authority in accordance with national laws and

procedures. Reports should include the name, details and state of registration of each vessel or

aircraft used and the name of their captain or commander; actual itinerary; the number of visitors

engaged in the activity; places, dates and purposes of landings and the number of visitors landed

on each occasion; any meteorological observations made, including those made as part of the

World Meteorological Organization (WMO) Voluntary Observing Ships Scheme; any significant

changes in activities and their impacts from those predicted before the visit was conducted; and

action taken in case of emergency.

D) Antarctic Treaty System Documents and Information

Most Antarctic Treaty Parties can provide, through their national contact points, copies of

relevant provisions of the Antarctic Treaty system and information about national laws and

procedures, including:

· The Antarctic Treaty (1959)

· Convention for the Conservation of Antarctic Seals (1972)

· Convention on the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources (1980)

· Protocol on Environmental Protection to the Antarctic Treaty (1991)

· Recommendations and other measures adopted under the Antarctic Treaty

· Final Reports of Consultative Meetings

· Handbook of the Antarctic Treaty System (1994)

· Handbook of the Antarctic Treaty System (in Spanish, 1991 edition)

ATTACHMENT A

INFORMATION TO BE PROVIDED IN ADVANCE NOTICE

Organisers should provide the following information to the appropriate national authorities in the

format requested.

1) name, nationality, and contact details of the organiser;

2) where relevant, registered name and national registration and type of any vessel or aircraft to

be used (including name of the captain or commander, call-sign, radio frequency,

INMARSAT number);

3) intended itinerary including the date of departure and places to be visited in the Antarctic

Treaty Area;

4) activities to be undertaken and purpose;

5) number and qualifications of crew and accompanying guides and expedition staff;

6) estimated number of visitors to be carried;

7) carrying capacity of vessel;

8) intended use of vessel;

9) intended use and type of aircraft;

10) number and type of other vessels, including small boats, to be used in the Antarctic Treaty

Area;

11) information about insurance coverage;

12) details of equipment to be used, including for safety purposes, and arrangements for

self-sufficiency;

13) and other matters required by national laws.

XVI-13 Tourism and non-governmental Activities in the Antarctic Treaty Area

The Representatives,

Bearing in mind that the XVth Consultative Meeting agreed that a comprehensive review of

tourism and non-governmental activities was required;

Noting that the Protocol on Environmental Protection to the Antarctic Treaty and its Annexes

apply to tourist and non-governmental activities in Antarctica;

Recalling that the XIth Special Consultative Meeting asked the XVIth Consultative Meeting to

address the issue of tourism and non-governmental activities;

Acknowledging that the Protocol constitutes the framework for further progress in Antarctic

environmental protection;

Concerned about the possible effect of increased tourism and non-governmental activities in

Antarctica;

Conscious of the need to ensure that the presence of tourists and other visitors in Antarctica be

regulated so as to limit adverse impacts on the Antarctic environment;

Recommend to their Governments that:

1. An informal meeting of the Parties be convened with a view to making proposals to the XVIIth

Consultative Meeting on the question of a comprehensive regulation of tourist and nongovernmental

activities in Antarctica in accordance with the Protocol and taking into account

the proposals made at the present XVIth Consultative Meeting, including proposals for a future

Annex to the Protocol on Environmental Protection;

2. Prior to the convening of that meeting and in order to ensure due preparation of its work,

proposals should be prepared by them taking into account the list of issues stated below, which

meeting should, inter alia, primarily address:

a) environmental issues

· implementation of the Protocol on Environmental Protection to the Antarctic Treaty

and its Annexes

· number of tourists / carrying capacity

· homologation of standards relating to vessels

· permanent infrastructure for tourists

· concentration / dispersal of tourist activities

· access to unexplored areas

b) operational issues

· notification and expansion of information to be exchanged

· system for granting permission to visit stations

· self-sufficiency

· insurance, including search and rescue insurance

· information obligation of Parties

· preparation

Edited by PremiumSuite

There is no way in the wide world would l consider landing on the last frontier with 500 passengers, each wanting there $16 to $40 grands worth.

Even the 100 max cap landings are a nightmare for crew and naturalists.

The great 6th continent does not deserve nor can it cope with that level of impact.

Nor should it have to try.

Seabourn really needs to reconsider this until it gets hold of an appropriate sized and designed vessel. The Quest is totally inappropriate.

If they do go ahead with this sized vessel it will be a great enviromental insensitvity

that l know for sure Australia, NZ and Argentina will object to and protest. We have in the past and we are sure to again.

I am already preparing to write to Seabourn.

Below Is the Seatrade news release from yesterday.

SEABOURN TO CHART ANTARCTICA FOR THE FIRST TIME

Seabourn plans to visit the White Continent for the first time in its 20-year history. In November 2013, Seabourn Quest will begin a series of four 21- to 24-day voyages sailing between Valparaíso, Chile, and Buenos Aires.

‘Antarctica was the only continent that Seabourn did not feature in our itineraries. This expands our global reach to all seven continents and builds on our already impressive list of exotic destinations,’ said Seabourn president Rick Meadows.

The all-suite ship will cruise the Chilean coast, including visits to Puerto Montt for the Lake District, Castro on the huge island of Chiloé, and Puerto Chacabuco, a gateway to Torres del Paine National Park. Then Seabourn Quest will thread the glaciers, peaks and channels of the Chilean Fjords, culminating in a transit of the Beagle Channel and its Glacier Alley. Weather permitting, following a call at Ushuaia in Argentina's Tierra del Fuego, the ship will cruise by Cape Horn bound for the Southern Ocean.

Passengers will experience five days in Antarctica, including scenic cruising of highlights such as the Lemaire Channel, Paradise Bay and Gerlache Strait. Seabourn said an experienced Antarctic expedition staff will be on hand to guide landings and exploration by Zodiacs. Scientists, naturalists and other lecturers in a number of disciplines will speak on board and accompany shore visits to add their insights.

During the South Atlantic portion of the voyage, Seabourn Quest will visit Port Stanley in the Falkland Islands, and Montevideo, Uruguay, en route to or from Buenos Aires.

A 24-day holiday version will include two days exploring the sub-Antarctic wildlife Eden of South Georgia Island, renowned for its rookeries of king penguins and other seabirds, as well as breeding elephant and fur seals.

Seabourn's new ‘Ultimate Antarctica & Patagonia’ sailings open for sale on Sept. 4.

This is such a stupid idea

Someone at Seabourn has got rocks in their head

Jaffa

I posted above some but not all of the Guidelines that Tourism Organizations must follow while in Antarctica which are pretty stringent to say the least.

Edited by PremiumSuite

I went to Anarctica on the MS Fram a few years ago and don't worry about the size of the ship.

I think it is better because you can have more amenities, better food, and not get bored.

Landings: 2 a day 1 hour ashore by law.

100 paxs onshore by law.

On the way back you usually do a scenic cruise in your zodiac (up close for photographing icebergs, wildlife, swimming seals & penguins, etc).

This is about 30 minutes.

This is also the time when you will be icy cold that hits your bones due to the moving zodiac.

Ashore was hot!

By the time you reach your ship and change out of your snow waterproof clothes it is about 2 hours.

On landing days (mostly everyday) this is your routine TWICE a day.

The Routine is quite hectic and 1 hour is more than enough time onshore.

Breakfast

landing lecture

Landing- 2 hours

Nap

Lunch

Landing lecture

Landing- 2 hours

Tea Time

Nap or hang out

Dinner

Drinks at the bar and making new friends

Sleep or watch TV in your room

The groups are called in shifts. You first stop in the changing room to get into your wellies and put on your gloves, hats, etc, before hopping on the zodiac.

It is NOT chaotic at all. The turns change as well. If your group was called last then you will be first next time.

The groups are per zodiac and if I remember correctly there were 7 groups. (I might have this wrong). I just read the Fram holds 230 paxs.

Only your small group (however many fit in the zodiac) are allowed in the wet room.

On the way back you board the Zodiac. At your leisure.

We made all of our landings and I was on the on the last cruise of the season.

I timed it with Carnavale in Brazil. I believe 2009.

There were loads of penguins and the weather was hot.

I post this because you read a lot of things on the Internet that are not true.

For those that are wheelchair bound I will include this.

There was a lady that broke her leg before her trip but came along with her husband.

She wore a cast and was in a wheel chair.

She boarded the zodiac for all her landings (she was in my zodiac group), but physically could not go ashore as most of the beachfront is jagged rocks, slippery, and wet kinda like a riverbank.

They took her on cruises along the shoreline instead and she was happy.

Many penguins swimming and showing off, anyways.

I believe the easiest landing was the one with the old whaling station. Is this Deception

Island? I think she made it to the Argentine Base.

I hope this helps get a sense of big ship cruising in Antarctica.

p.s. My favorite was Neko Harbor and the scenery in general.

The snow is high and makes a slide where you can come down on your bum.

The penguins slide next to you on their bellies.

Too cute!

They also follow you everywhere and mimic what you are doing.

Very curious little darlings.

Wanderlust Living....can I ask you when you did your Expedition Cruise to Antarctica what was the average age group/demographic of the passengers that were onboard and also if they had to be physically fit or somewhat to do the landings and zodiac rides?

21-DAY ULTIMATE ANTARCTICA AND PATAGONIA on QUEST

Shopping Cart (0 items)

Shore Excursions

main_shorex1.jpgExplore

Book your shore excursions here to ensure your place as tours do fill up quickly. If you can't find a specific shore excursion, it may not be loaded into inventory yet. Please check back frequently as selections are updated on an ongoing basis.

Less than 3 Days to Departure Date?

Shore excursions may be booked online up to 3 days prior to the departure date. If the departure date is less than 3 days away, please call Shore Excursions at 800-984-3225 or 206-626-9187 to book directly with an agent.

Holland-America-cruises-ALL-Worlds_Most_Ethical_Company.gif

Holland-America-cruises-ALL-Ethics_Inside_Certification.gif

For help with reservations call 866-755-5619 or 206-626-9179

(Help is available in English)

Mon.-Fri 6 a.m.-5 p.m. & Sat. 7 a.m.-12 p.m. (Pacific Time).

Edited by PremiumSuite

Before I booked, I would be asking Seabourn how they intend to conduct their shore landings in compliance with the 100 person Treaty provision. The answer could be enlightening.

hello kiawahdon...I just posted a bunch of info on the landings and the logistics of the proposed landings although we still won't know for some time which islands/locations these landings will take place. I also posted the parts pertaining to the Antarctica Treaty for Tourism.

429="197">images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSb7sDJ4h_-8bUzsqmkcSuNT4iuAWWl5UbXv16vH9cC0MTDpjhPXQ<LI style="WIDTH: 168px; HEIGHT: 164px" class=rg_li i1527="201" i429="200">images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHj6SAjQ039_2izpy-8JfszlJf1G1KpdXbN6yUpEmeGi7l0OrZ<LI style="WIDTH: 243px; HEIGHT: 164px" class=rg_li i1527="204" i429="203">images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlc7VBLxoitnMkdEMHszvWypvc1sNkO2fVkfhL9-Zfy4G-qcbS3A<LI style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 29px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 199px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; HEIGHT: 91px; PADDING-TOP: 29px" class=rg_li data-row="1" i1527="208" i429="207">images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTtUtWbcmwmVbvMgwDfXEEsHDEfBAkP7Dupq4_EgsQ5fQcljsIv8WvIlBeG<LI style="WIDTH: 196px; HEIGHT: 149px" class=rg_li i1527="211" i429="210">[/url]<LI style="WIDTH: 203px; HEIGHT: 149px" class=rg_li i1527="214" i429="213">images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIUbVD7rKy8MYLsjeK106iXtWGqDDFbYCSUB4diWi6Pg6BNgtMcw<LI style="WIDTH: 205px; HEIGHT: 149px" class=rg_li i1527="217" i429="216">images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxCAhI60dEmUlxKSdP08_MUwWNwYLkR8kqb-SKPJhsqrxn4WI

Edited by PremiumSuite

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgtjBigvV8A4lyCSL0A_6iP5mihaXe7cWJ0M-WfRGvxX7sMHw6

<LI style="WIDTH: 201px; HEIGHT: 151px" class=rg_li i1527="318" i429="317">images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-xPb7GUHMMu4TQRZPJIZ-_UT-FIqHTW7Ak6d5uL2lRyKSxThteg<LI style="WIDTH: 201px; HEIGHT: 151px" class=rg_li i1527="321" i429="320">images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8Y2UV81BQZapN7f1PaAGGMe3Hp4eVitY0xDslwsv5zBOiZ2YUHw<LI style="WIDTH: 200px; HEIGHT: 151px" class=rg_li i1527="324" i429="323">images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8PkoYgmeJsqJk22QU-wkmFarDynUzA5BP-gs-_BDaTVwvT49vuw<LI style="WIDTH: 222px; HEIGHT: 161px" class=rg_li data-row="1" i1527="328" i429="327">images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwELoLFTlDsxmsSzNpjUfKJKQ9G1xyQHbyo_PVeNy_9S7ix10OJw<LI style="WIDTH: 216px; HEIGHT: 161px" class=rg_li i1527="334" i429="333">images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFupM_q1I9wNVqpN3mY2-cbl3vtklM-5W2b0UexOY69eKI8gIsqQ

Edited by PremiumSuite

We cruised on the Silversea PAII (now Expedition) in the Arctic. This ship is set up for polar cruising, for example the hull is ice rated (and we needed it as there was a lot of sea ice and in the end could not safely circumnavigate Svalbard), there was a dedicated mud room for changing into boots etc, there was a fleet of zodiacs, there were only 100 passengers, there was a team of expedition staff as well as ship's staff.

I am not sure that Seabourn will be able to provide this (especially the first one). I think they may be trying to cash in on the market.

I have read some of this thread with great interest and I have been fortunate enough to have done the Chilean Fjords Cruise with Regent Mariner, sailed on the Seabourn Quest (in the Mediterranean) and also been on the Silversea Explorer this January.

Firstly the Quest is a superb vessel, but even with modifications I am not convinced this is even close to being the ideal vessel for the Antarctic.I assume it has pod propulsion, and if this is so there is no way it will go anywhere near any ice, for fear of damage to the pods.

The BA to Valparaiso cruise is excellent for glacier watching but be prepared for indifferent weather.I was advised they have two types of weather in southern Chile. wet and wetter and that was certainly the case when I went. It did not detract from a wonderful experience however. I was there in Feb so hopefully your Nov/Dec weather will be a lot better.

I did a 17 day cruise on the Explorer with 125 passengers, to Falklands (2 days), South Georgia (5 days) Antartica (5 days) and quite frankly this is no where long enough to do this spectacular part of the world justice.

I think any body travelling to this part of the world has to really consider why they are going. If the aim is to tick a box to say you have been there, then fine as this suits a lot of people.

If the wildlife is really important then you will see far more on South Georgia than Antartica. You will see whales but Feb is a better month for whale watching.

You will realise that I am totally biased but the only way is to go on a properly organised Expedition vessel with a limited number of passengers.

The weather can change in minutes and the expedition staff have to really think on their feet depending on conditions. We managed 14 zodiac landings on our trip but only due to the expertise of the staff.

Seabourn are allowing 5 days plus a couple of days to get there and back.

On their 10 day trips Silversea allow 5 days to get from Ushuaia and back, they know how difficult the Drake Passage can be, being one of the most difficult stretches of water in the world,not to be taken lightly.I think the Seabourn schedule looks tight but I am sure they know what they are doing.

I really wish you well but I agree with the thoughts of both Jaffa and freddie that there are better ways of doing this trip.

I understand the sentiment - Quest is not an expedition vessel.

Just a couple of points of clarification:

Seabourn ships do not have propulsion pods.

The new Seabourn ships cruise at 19 knots, the Silver Explorer at 14. This makes for a much faster transit of Drakes Passage (in good weather conditions).

Also, can anyone tell me if the restriction of 400 passengers for ships doing landings in Antarctica still applies?

I remember the old Marco Polo used to restrict passenger numbers on its sailings.

I understand the sentiment - Quest is not an expedition vessel.

Just a couple of points of clarification:

Seabourn ships do not have propulsion pods.

The new Seabourn ships cruise at 19 knots, the Silver Explorer at 14. This makes for a much faster transit of Drakes Passage (in good weather conditions).

Also, can anyone tell me if the restriction of 400 passengers for ships doing landings in Antarctica still applies?

I remember the old Marco Polo used to restrict passenger numbers on its sailings.

cans good points you bring up about the Quest's propulsion and absence of pods and cruising speed.

Yes, according to the Antarctica Treaty, Seabourn will have to limit the number of passengers (excluding crew/expedition contractors) to no more than 400 paxs instead of sailing at capacity which would be 452 (with all quads and triples used). Perhaps this is yet another reason why the per person a day rates are almost double than normal Seabourn cruises currently in terms of pricing.

cands, many thanks for the info on the Quests propulsion system, something which I did not appreciate. The relative difference between the cruising speeds is also relevant in good cruising conditions. One thing is for sure 5 days is the maximum time in Antarctica and in difficult transit

conditions it could possibly be less, thats why I feel the schedule is tight. Seabourn must have factored in the possibility of bad weather which of course is very common in that part of the world.

The reality is,

That 400 people paying a minimum of $17000.00 USD per person thats $34000.00 per couple are all going to want to land on the great southern continent as often as they can.

And who would blame them!

For that sort of money you are going to want to maximise every opportunity you can.

Both times l have been, people were jumping out of their skins to land. Because of weather and sea's many were dissapointed that they did not get to land as often or for as long as they would have liked, and this was on vessels that carried less than 140 people.

I just cannot see why you would do this with this size ship, when you can take a smaller or purposefully designed vessel with a much higher chance of landing more often and for longer periods for the same or less dollars.

If you want to keep the luxury then there are vessels eg Silver Explorer and the likes that offer the perks. The size of the Quest will restrict the landing sites on offer as well, so squeezing in here and there between the ice won't be an option like on the smaller or ice designed vessels.

Itins on all vessels move and change depending on opportunitys, weather and sightings.

So there might only be one chance for a short time to see your fav seal or bird or whale or whatever.

With this amount of people l can only see dissapointment and regret of missed chances.

This is for most a real "once in a lifetime" cruise.

Why would you do it this way?

When there are far better ways for a much better experience, for in many cases less money with the same luxury.

I'm sorry, but l don't see any common sense to this at all.

If there was common sense to this, other vessels of this type and size would already be doing it.

The reality is, they are not and thats got to be telling you something.

Edited by Jaffa