Seabourn Antarctica

shefinch

The reality is,

That 400 people paying a minimum of $17000.00 USD per person thats $34000.00 per couple are all going to want to land on the great southern continent as often as they can.

And who would blame them!

For that sort of money you are going to want to maximise every opportunity you can.

Both times l have been, people were jumping out of their skins to land. Because of weather and sea's many were dissapointed that they did not get to land as often or for as long as they would have liked, and this was on vessels that carried less than 140 people.

I just cannot see why you would do this with this size ship, when you can take a smaller or purposefully designed vessel with a much higher chance of landing more often and for longer periods for the same or less dollars.

If you want to keep the luxury then there are vessels eg Silver Explorer and the likes that offer the perks. The size of the Quest will restrict the landing sites on offer as well, so squeezing in here and there between the ice won't be an option like on the smaller or ice designed vessels.

Itins on all vessels move and change depending on opportunitys, weather and sightings.

So there might only be one chance for a short time to see your fav seal or bird or whale or whatever.

With this amount of people l can only see dissapointment and regret of missed chances.

This is for most a real "once in a lifetime" cruise.

Why would you do it this way?

When there are far better ways for a much better experience, for in many cases less money with the same luxury.

I'm sorry, but l don't see any common sense to this at all.

If there was common sense to this, other vessels of this type and size would already be doing it.

The reality is, they are not and thats got to be telling you something.

Although I respect your opinion I certainly don't share it.

We have been to Antarctica before on Princess on the larger ship, Star Princess 3 times for "Scenic Cruising" in Antarctica and I did do a separate landing in Antarctica flying on a chartered flight for a one day excursion from Punta Arenas, Chile. Yes, the weather in Antarctica is unpredictable and can change ona dime. There are no other ships in the 400 passenger range out there in 6 star luxury market that's why it has never been done before to answer your question.

Secondly, the itrinerary will only be confirmed one year out after Seabourn bids on which islands, inlets etc. they would like to make landings. This is governed by the Antarctica Treaty for Tourism Guidelines. Once they have received the successfull bids, they will be communicatinng with each the guest the confirmed itinerary to re-confirm that the guests are still interested in going on these (3) 21 day cruises and the 24 day cruise over Christmas and New Years. Because weather can be unpredictable, people will be advised in advance of the possibilities of re-scheduling of times etc. We have assured ourselves of trying to maximize our time in Antarctica by booking the Nov 20/13 21 day cruise b2b with the Dec 11/13 24 day cruise.

I really think that all this pontificating that you posted above really serves no purpose until such time that Seabourn posts and/or communicates more details of these itineraries with their booked guests. This won't happen until well into the New Year of 2013.

Seabourn Adds Seventh Continent on “Ultimate Antarctica & Patagonia” Voyages

September 10th, 2012

Combines Popular South American Itinerary with Landings on the White Continent

Cruise the Farthest Place on Earth on the World’s Highest-Rated Small Ship Cruise Line

More than 20 years after the company pioneered an entirely new style of small-ship, ultra-luxury cruising, Seabourn plans to extend its repertoire of highlysea1-300x207.jpg desirablecruising destinations to include Antarctica for the first time in 2013. Seabourn Quest, the newest ship in Seabourn’s award-winning fleet, will begin a series of four 21- to 24-day voyages sailing between Valparaíso, Chile and Buenos Aires, Argentina starting in November of 2013.

“Seabourn is already renowned for our extensive portfolio of worldwide itineraries,” noted Seabourn’s president Richard Meadows. “Antarctica was the only continent that Seabourn did not feature in our itineraries. This expands our global reach to all seven continents and builds on our already impressive list of exotic destinations. Seabourn is very proud to be bringing our highly rated ultra-luxury cruise experience to Antarctica.”

The all-suite ship will cruise the Chilean coast, including visits to Puerto Montt for the Chilean Lakes District, Castro on the huge island of Chiloé, and Puerto Chacabuco for the Rio Simpson Valley and Coyhaique, as well as Punta Arenas, from where guests can tour the magnificent Torres del Paine National Park. Then the intimate ship will thread the glaciers, peaks and channels of the Chilean Fjords, culminating in a transit of the Beagle Channel and its spectacular Glacier Alley. Weather permitting, following a call at Ushuaia in Argentina’s Tierra del Fuego, Seabourn Quest will cruise by Cape Horn bound for the Southern Ocean. Guests on board will experience five days in Antarctica, including scenic cruising of highlights such as the breathtaking Lemaire Channel, picturesque Paradise Bay and the Gerlache Strait. An experienced Antarctic expedition staff will ensure that guests enjoy the best of the hundreds of available sites for landings and cruising in smaller inflatable boats, based on real-time weather and wildlife reports during their Antarctic adventures. Scientists, naturalists and other lecturers in a number of disciplines will speak on board and accompany guests ashore to add insights to their once-in-a-lifetime experiences.

During the South Atlantic portion of the voyage, guests will enjoy visits to Port Stanley, in the Falkland Islands, and Montevideo, Uruguay’s capital, en route to or from Buenos Aires.

A 24-day Holiday version will include two days exploring the sub-Antarctic wildlife Eden of South Georgia Island, renowned for its beauty and its vast, teeming rookeries of king penguins and other seabirds, as well as breeding elephant and fur seals.

For more information or reservations, contact a travel professional or visit www.seabourn.com.

sea21-1024x657.jpg

Oh l see!

A very logical, experienced, intelligent and thoughtfull contribution to this thread is pontificating. Well excuse me!

Perhaps this has more to do with the fact that l am not communicating what you want to hear. My intention was certainly not to burst your bubble

Regardless of this,

Luxury put to one side.

"There are no other ships in the 400 passenger range out there in 6 star luxury market that's why it has never been done before to answer your question"

My response

Any ship of this size and passenger load not designed for the location or conditions with all the limitations that come with it, should be viewed with some skeptisism and concern.

It has nothing to do with the 6 star luxury market at all.

No other ship full stop, with this passenger load and location rules does this type of landing cruise to this location because it is totally impractical. Thats why it has not been done before.

Making it 6 stars does not change that at all.

But if this "luxury" is so important to you, there are other equal luxury choices of landing cruises that are much more practical, sensible and value for money without having to sacrifice your perks.

"Secondly, the itrinerary will only be confirmed one year out after Seabourn bids on which islands, inlets etc. they would like to make landings. This is governed by the Antarctica Treaty for Tourism Guidelines. Once they have received the successfull bids, they will be communicatinng with each the guest the confirmed itinerary to re-confirm that the guests are still interested in going on these (3) 21 day cruises and the 24 day cruise over Christmas and New Years."

My response,

These Seabourn cruises will still be spending the same amount of time on location that the other smaller expedition cruises already do.

Except the Quest will have 400 people to land at a maximum of 100 per event.

Seabourn is not staying longer to accommodate all these extra passengers for landings.

Yet the smaller ships can in most cases land there entire passenger load at one time in one location giving maximum "on ice" time to each and every passenger for every landing.

This is something that the Quest will not be able to do, no matter how you spin it.

When you take into consideration the high cost of Seabourns plans against it's luxury compeditors for what you get. We come back to my original question.

Why would you do it Seabourns way?

It cannot be for value, or on ice/landing time.

It really does not matter when Seabourn releases or confirms or whatever.

It is the time spent at location that is important to make this work for Seabourn.

If Seabourn was spending 7 or 8 days min and the weather was perfect then l would agree with you.

But they only plan to spend the same time as other cruises already do but with far more landed passengers to satisfy for more money.

There are much better ways to do this for a far better experience for the same or less money.

One final question,

The copious no of posts you have made on this thread with glossy photo's and lots of links to Seabourn and internal conversations, begs the question are you connected to Seabourn, Carnival their agents or affiliates or marketing organisations ect.

Edited by Jaffa

Oh l see!

A very logical, experienced, intelligent and thoughtfull contribution to this thread is pontificating. Well excuse me!

Perhaps this has more to do with the fact that l am not communicating what you want to hear. My intention was certainly not to burst your bubble

Regardless of this,

Luxury put to one side.

"There are no other ships in the 400 passenger range out there in 6 star luxury market that's why it has never been done before to answer your question"

My response

Any ship of this size and passenger load not designed for the location or conditions with all the limitations that come with it, should be viewed with some skeptisism and concern.

It has nothing to do with the 6 star luxury market at all.

No other ship full stop, with this passenger load and location rules does this type of landing cruise to this location because it is totally impractical. Thats why it has not been done before.

Making it 6 stars does not change that at all.

But if this "luxury" is so important to you, there are other equal luxury choices of landing cruises that are much more practical, sensible and value for money without having to sacrifice your perks.

"Secondly, the itrinerary will only be confirmed one year out after Seabourn bids on which islands, inlets etc. they would like to make landings. This is governed by the Antarctica Treaty for Tourism Guidelines. Once they have received the successfull bids, they will be communicatinng with each the guest the confirmed itinerary to re-confirm that the guests are still interested in going on these (3) 21 day cruises and the 24 day cruise over Christmas and New Years."

My response,

These Seabourn cruises will still be spending the same amount of time on location that the other smaller expedition cruises already do.

Except the Quest will have 400 people to land at a maximum of 100 per event.

Seabourn is not staying longer to accommodate all these extra passengers for landings.

Yet the smaller ships can in most cases land there entire passenger load at one time in one location giving maximum "on ice" time to each and every passenger for every landing.

This is something that the Quest will not be able to do, no matter how you spin it.

When you take into consideration the high cost of Seabourns plans against it's luxury compeditors for what you get. We come back to my original question.

Why would you do it Seabourns way?

It cannot be for value, or on ice/landing time.

It really does not matter when Seabourn releases or confirms or whatever.

It is the time spent at location that is important to make this work for Seabourn.

If Seabourn was spending 7 or 8 days min and the weather was perfect then l would agree with you.

But they only plan to spend the same time as other cruises already do but with far more landed passengers to satisfy for more money.

There are much better ways to do this for a far better experience for the same or less money.

One final question,

The copious no of posts you have made on this thread with glossy photo's and lots of links to Seabourn and internal conversations, begs the question are you connected to Seabourn, Carnival their agents or affiliates or marketing organisations ect.

Yeah I'm a mole...pllleeeaasse!:rolleyes: My only connection to Seabourn and the Office is that I am a shareholder and a devout loyal Seabourn cruiser.

The fact is Seabourn is spending 7 days in Antartica on the Dec 11/13 24 cruise if you would have read the itineraries you would have picked up on that, hence why we booked two b2b Antarctica Cruises. Secondly, no way am I going to put myself on a floating 6 star sardine can like Silversea's Expedition and spend another $8000.00 per peson on top of what we are paying with Seabourn...Silversea is out of their rabbit a** mind charging what they are but if there are fools out willing to pay it all the power to the Manfredi's is all I can say.

I'd rather discuss FACTS then pontificate about something that neither be released from the Company. Once the landing information is released, then I believe that things can be better discussed.

Edited by PremiumSuite

Well Premium Suite I am afraid Jaffa is 100% correct in his thoughts on how to travel to Antarctica and of course an Expedition Ship is the only sensible way to do it. You have had to book two back to back cruises, however many days that is, to try to ensure around ten days in the Antarctic, ignoring passages from the Falklands and the Drake passage. You will have limited access to the shore because of the time restriction and large number of passengers. I have travelled on both the Quest , which is a great cruise liner, and the Silver explorer which is built for the conditions.If you want to swan around the Caribbean in luxury go with The Quest , but I am sure ,the Silver Explorer and ships of a similar type are miles better in the Antarctica.

Well Premium Suite I am afraid Jaffa is 100% correct in his thoughts on how to travel to Antarctica and of course an Expedition Ship is the only sensible way to do it. You have had to book two back to back cruises, however many days that is, to try to ensure around ten days in the Antarctic, ignoring passages from the Falklands and the Drake passage. You will have limited access to the shore because of the time restriction and large number of passengers. I have travelled on both the Quest , which is a great cruise liner, and the Silver explorer which is built for the conditions.If you want to swan around the Caribbean in luxury go with The Quest , but I am sure ,the Silver Explorer and ships of a similar type are miles better in the Antarctica.

Daniel19 I really wish you would have looked at the detailed itineraries before posting such negativity which serves noone with mis-information. Neither voyages are ignoring the Drake Passage nor the Falklands or as we prefer to call them "Las Malvinas" as someone who owns a home in Buenos Aires. There will be no restrictions to shore...you are incorrect again in posting this mis-information unless you have cruised Antarctica personally and/or on Silverseas Expedition. I for one have been to Antarctica and thank you very much but you can keep Silverseas for the "shi shi poo poo" crowd.

Everyone is entitled to his opinion. While I am a huge Seabourn fan I do not think it is the answer to every travel option. I too would much rather see Antarctica from a small expedition ship with far fewer passengers. This is not one of those destinations where I need to return to the ship for caviar and champagne.

I am also a huge Seabourn fan . I am sorry if I did not make my post clear so I will restate and I know you will correct me if I am wrong. Of course the itineraries have to cross the Drake passage, how could they get there otherwise and I thought one was going to Antarctica fom Stanley in the Falklands. I think you stated that you were going to spend seven days in the Antarctic on one of your trips and I assumed that this included the passages to and from , that is actual 5 days in Antarctica or is it 7, as we would not wish to mislead anybody!

My thoughts are that the limitations will be caused simply by the logistics of trying to move 400 people to and from shore. How many zodiacs are there aboard.

Yes ,I have been to Antarctica on the Silver Explorer so I do have a little,very little knowledge of how it works managing 14 landings in a 17 day cruise.

I am no expert and I am certainly not giving misinformation, just stating, in my opinion , the best way to do it.

By the way you can call the Falklands what you like, Katmandu for all I care, but the people will decide next year by referendum whether to stay as they have been for the last 150 plus years or so or be run by Argentina. Whats your bet on what will happen .

Of course I realised that you were trying to wind me up over the Falklands so no big deal.

I think we have now reached the point where we are probably wasting each others time as you are convinced that your way of going to Antarctica is the best way to go and for you it probably is. I wish you bon voyage and I am sure you will have a great time.

Just to ensure the is no misinformation so people are not confused I would like to make a couple of final points 'The Georgia Islands' as I think you call them do not exist, well not in the South Atlantic. I think you mean South Georgia. Finally as you state the Christmas trip consists of seven days in Antarctica. I suggest you look at the schedules again as It says five days plus South Georgia. If you think South Georgia is in Antarctica I suggest you get your maps out.

Well, after following this thread for the last several days...had to add my two cents.

As a passenger (along with my husband) on the Prince Albert - Now the Silver Explorer for 18 days, Dec. 2010-Jan. 2011. do think I can add a bit to the discussion. First of all, am a fan of Seabourn, having spent 48 days on their ships. We chose Silversea because of the size of the ship, their record in Antarctica, and the number of landings. (South Georgia and Grytviken were especially important.) Silversea has a "well oiled" machine. The logistics of transporting 98 passengers in zodiacs in less than desirable conditions is a feat unto itself. We had 6 zodiacs with 16 plus passengers. Since we were under 100, all zodiacs could all be on land at the same time. However, due to conditions on the islands we visited, many times only 3 would venture out at a time. I especially remember a time on South Georgia, where the weather changed in an instant and our zodiac could not board to land on the island and was delayed 45 minutes;therefore, our time was cut short. I cannot imagine trying to land 400 people in choppy seas and have any type of an experience, except to say you actually set foot on Antarctica. It will take at least 6 zodiacs, with a loading off the ship, unloading at the shore, picking up the shore people, and unloading at the ship. It is at least 15 minutes for the first and last; 10 for the middle and travel time to shore another 10...makes approximately 60 minutes. Then add on the hour or two you are on land.This is on a day with ideal conditions! You would have to do four rotations. Rough estimate would take you six more like eight hours! I think it is a travesty to let a 400 passenger ship unload passengers on a one of a kind delicate environment. .

I have looked at the itinerary for the 21 day and 24 day Seabourn. The portions around Chile, Argentina, Uruguay can be done on any ship large or small. And I have done them on a large ship that was neither line.

Antarctica is an experience bar no other. Seabourn's 21 day leaves Uruguay and takes two days to Port Stanley, same as Silversea took from Ushuaia. However, one day before Port Stanley, we lay anchor in the bay off West Point Island and landed. This is the island where the wonderful ladies make sweets and serve you tea, after you have hiked to the albatross colonies. You won't see that ...there is no way, this island can accommodate 400. Believe we landed on one other Falkland island, but the name is not in my notes. We then landed in Port Stanley and walked the town and were driven across the island to a game refuge (included in cruise). Also they let us view the interior of the island and the fenced off areas which house the 200,000 land mines the Argentina army left behind. By the way, our guide and his family were among the hostages/prisoners taken at Goose Green. He and his family would dispute the name you prefer to call the islands....think they earned the right. Takes two days from Port Stanley to reach the Antarctic Peninsula and 2 days to from Antarctic Peninsula to Ushuaia....enjoy your one day doing whatever. I have only commented on the Antarctic Portion.

24 Days Only the Antarctic Portion. Ushuaia to Antarctic Peninsula will again take two days and perhaps longer depending upon the island you first set foot on....or it could be in zodiacs exploring the ice. This gives you three days in the area. Then two days at sea on the way to South Georgia...will take you the two days to off load 400 on Grytrviken...poor Ernest Shackleton will be turning in his grave. Then at least three days back to Cape Horn.

I have traveled the world, consider myself a traveler, not a tourist. Whatever cruiseline I choose to travel on is my choice and consider it rude to be label an inane name because of my selections. However, am proud to be a "shi shi poo poo" who did the journey on the Silver Explorer...because I did my homework! Barbara

We did this trip in December, we had good weather, except for two or three days, and only one affected a landing. Had booked for November and decided it was too early. SS only does this run 3 possibly 4 times a season (19 days)...believe their last is in February. Still don't like the idea of large ships in Antarctica. However, if you don't care about the real adventure, in doing landings, then Seabourn may be your answer. Have too many new adventures planned to repeat a path already taken. Love someone to combine Galapagos, Easter Island, and Pitcairn on a cruise, but alas a lot of ocean to cover. Thanks for the enlightenment of PS aka ST....makes sense now.

Skeezics (Barbara ) and Wanderlust Living I think you have both hit the nail on the head here with excellent postings. We have all done this trip and know what it really takes to get the full Antarctica experience and the expertise that is needed to provide it. I think anybody reading this thread can make their own minds up whether to fully experience the trip or simply tick the box to say they have been there.

On a lighter note, Barbara, maybe you went to New Island in the Falklands which is a regular Silversea landing where we saw a colony of rockhopper penguins and black browed albatrosses. I know Silversea do ring the changes as they have repeat travellers.

Never heard the expression 'shi shi poo poo', maybe thats because I am British.

Isn't interesting how the Silversea 'sardine can' gets booked up so quickly on these trips, Our Jan 13th adventure was booked in about 24 hours, so they must be doing something right.

OK, I bit. From the Urban Dictionary "shishi poopoo, Extremely upscale and/or fancy."

And >"shishi. To Urinate. Originated from japanese in Hawaii. It is in the pidgin english family of ... I went to Nice and stayed at a shishi hotel right on the boardwalk."

Edited by JaneBP
typo

I don't see how they are possibly going to make all those zodiac landings and still get everyone back to the ship before the buffet closes at the Colonnade!!!!!

Lol! My friend who worked at the post office 2 years ago told me the Penguins opened up a corner bodega. They can buy snacks on the way back to the ship.

I would be a bit concerned over the strength of the hulls of the ship & would have a lot of questions to ask about that before committing. How about the Capt? As wonderful as the Capts. we have had on Seabourn are, I want one with a whole lot of ice experience. Will they have an "Ice Captain" on board? (Seriously, we had one) It takes a beyond the ordinary cruise director to coordinate the landings, the directions for boarding zodiacs; safety briefings, etc. It's highly specialized. Safety is the biggest issue in Antarctica since there are not that many "safe harbors" in the vicinity. We were lucky enough to have 6 naturalists - specialists in birding, whales, ice, etc. and twice daily lectures. Flexibility is paramount since the weather can and will change on a dime & a landing might be at 10 pm....

This would be a tough call, balancing the wonderful, fabulous Seabourn experience and the need to feel like I was surrounded by total experts in the field a la Lindblad/ A & K/ Tauck/ Fram/ Prince Albert, etc. which might result in a bit less luxury but perhaps a better overall experience. Not to even mention the whole packing thing....there's something about packing a tux along with REI overalls????

I can't wait for this cruise to happen so I can follow it vicariously & hear everyone's thoughts. Good luck with your decisions. I guess in the whole scheme of things, it's a GREAT dilema.

Skeezics (Barbara ) and Wanderlust Living I think you have both hit the nail on the head here with excellent postings. We have all done this trip and know what it really takes to get the full Antarctica experience and the expertise that is needed to provide it. I think anybody reading this thread can make their own minds up whether to fully experience the trip or simply tick the box to say they have been there.

On a lighter note, Barbara, maybe you went to New Island in the Falklands which is a regular Silversea landing where we saw a colony of rockhopper penguins and black browed albatrosses. I know Silversea do ring the changes as they have repeat travellers.

Never heard the expression 'shi shi poo poo', maybe thats because I am British.

Isn't interesting how the Silversea 'sardine can' gets booked up so quickly on these trips, Our Jan 13th adventure was booked in about 24 hours, so they must be doing something

Thank you.

The cruisers are very blessed. It is wonderful. They just need to be informed by SB the Antarctica portion of it since it is not at all like all other cruise styles.

I would be a bit concerned over the strength of the hulls of the ship & would have a lot of questions to ask about that before committing. How about the Capt? As wonderful as the Capts. we have had on Seabourn are, I want one with a whole lot of ice experience. Will they have an "Ice Captain" on board? (Seriously, we had one) It takes a beyond the ordinary cruise director to coordinate the landings, the directions for boarding zodiacs; safety briefings, etc. It's highly specialized. Safety is the biggest issue in Antarctica since there are not that many "safe harbors" in the vicinity. We were lucky enough to have 6 naturalists - specialists in birding, whales, ice, etc. and twice daily lectures. Flexibility is paramount since the weather can and will change on a dime & a landing might be at 10 pm....

This would be a tough call, balancing the wonderful, fabulous Seabourn experience and the need to feel like I was surrounded by total experts in the field a la Lindblad/ A & K/ Tauck/ Fram/ Prince Albert, etc. which might result in a bit less luxury but perhaps a better overall experience. Not to even mention the whole packing thing....there's something about packing a tux along with REI overalls????

I can't wait for this cruise to happen so I can follow it vicariously & hear everyone's thoughts. Good luck with your decisions. I guess in the whole scheme of things, it's a GREAT dilema.

The only people that should be wearing a tux in Antarctica are the Penguins!

Talking about REI, I bought a lot of things since I am always in hot weather and never in snow. It was hot when I was there and only needed the parka the Fram gives you and gloves and hat while riding the zodiacs. The wind is so cold when it is moving.

I saved my snow clothes and wore then when I went to Everest BC in Tibet.

If you have dry skin a good lotion because the air is very drying to the skin and hair.

There are small yatchs/ships sailing Antarctica with 20,30,40, and 50 paxs. Some offer activities like kayak, diving, and even ice walking.

I know they mountain climb nearby.

Edited by Wanderlust Living

There seems to be something for everyone when it comes to travelling to Antarctica. There is also a pecking order, with the bragging rights that seem to come with this.;)

At the top of the list are the Russian Icebreakers. True expedition style with under 100 passengers. (not sure if there are any of these left). Go anywhere and incredibly expensive at 50k+ for basic accommodation and shared facilities!

Then there are the ice-strengthened expedition ships, preferably with under 100 passengers. There seem to be lots of these, with luxury levels from non-existent to pretty darned luxurious.

Then come the players with over 100 passengers, usually with ice strengthened ships and varying degrees of luxury. The more passengers, the lower the status.

At the bottom of the list are the regular cruise ships with 'drive by' cruises. These ships use the 'ice avoidance' technique. All visit the Antarctic Peninsular with the assistance of an Ice Captain.

Where does Seabourn fit into this?

Well, nobody doubts the luxury credentials of Seabourn. At 400 passengers, it is obviously at the lower end of desirablility as far as landing logistics are concerned. To be fair though, a 250 passenger vessel will have landings in 3 cycles to meet the 100 pax per landing rules, Seabourn will need to have 4.

Seabourn will be using the 'ice avoidance' technique. There are still many incredibly beautiful places to visit!

Is there a market for this? Well, Seabourn obviously think so.

Is it for everybody? Well, no, and isn't it good to have choices in life?

Will the people who decide to travel on these cruises have a great time? I know I would, having made the choice that this was the Antarctic cruise I wanted to do. I'm sure there are many others who will feel the same.

Cheers,

Steve.

Hello All,

I have read this thread with great interest as I have a soft spot for Seabourn after

only one cruise with them.

I was lucky enough to be able to visit Antarctica and Environs over Christmas and New Year

2010/2011 on an A&K charter on the French ship Le Boreal and it truly was a once in a

lifetime experience.

Anywhere on Seabourn would be fine by me, however, accommodating four hundred

people for landings would be a real challenge from my limited experience.

I wish all well who will sail on Quest, however, from my point of view, do not seriously

consider any itinerary that does not include South Georgia Island as that is where you

will truly experience all the wonderful wildlife that the Sub-Antarctic offers.

Wayne

It seems to me one can either have a real Antarctica experience or a real Seabourn experience. I understand Seabourn's desire to expand its itinerary offerings but Antarctica is an adventure cruise which requires a ship explicitly designed for such waters plus the requisite lower number of passengers. It remains to see how it will work out. I certainly hope Seabourn pulls it off but I have my doubts.

I have been reading this thread with great interest as I am considering Seabourn for their Antartica experience. It is evident to me that the Seabourn offer will not be the same as that of expedition ships, or the small specialist vessels that carry 100 pax or thereabouts. I am keen to hear more from Seabourn to confirm my interpretation of their offer. I guess we all want different things from our cruise experiences, what is important to me is that I am clear about what is on offer and that matches my expectations. My understanding thus far of Seabourn's offer is that it is not designed to compete with the "true" Antartica experience. I could well be wrong about that, will just have to wait and see what information Seabourn releases. The cruising market is huge, perhaps Seabourn is seeking to fill a previously untapped section of it.

Kirby - I agree with you that perhaps this is SB's attempt to provide something between the "drive by" cruises and the intensive expedition cruises. Although we would not trade our wonderful experience on the Hanseatic several years ago (14 fantastic landings in 18 days) for the limited SB offering, I will admit that a few landings may be better than none.

We had the good fortune of both an intensive expedition experience (with a skipper who had sailed for 14 years in those waters) and a luxury cruise experience (although the sorbet machine did break down during the cruise, depriving us of our palate-cleansing treats for the last few days of the cruise ;) ).

Clearly, SB cannot provide a lot of landings during the few days in Antarctica or South Georgia, particularly with that large number of pax. But, for many people, a couple of landings will fulfill their expectations of a visit to the Southern Sea. At those very high prices, it isn't what I would choose; but I can certainly understand the appeal of this new approach.

Cheers, Fred