Seabourn Antarctica

shefinch

Just ploughed through the 'Dress Code' sticky ( well, 3 pages and skip to last)

Wow! The 'Formal Evenings" terrify me. I'm going to Antarctica to see penguins, not to dress up like one.

Looks like we will not be the only Kiwis going :)

And agree with you about the "dress up"

What part of NZ are you from? We are in Auckland

Does anyone know where on the Seabourn website or elsewhere you can rent the boots, specify Parka size and buy clothing?

Edit: found the website.

The website is shiptoshoretravelor.com/seabourn. We bought the package and are very happy with it.

Naseva I have one (a referral coupon).

I'm not sure if we can use them on the same cruise though

Just be careful here. We are getting a big chunk of OBC from Seabourn for this cruise but it is not combinable with other OBCs (e.g. Amex, referral). It is combinable with shareholders OBC. So if you are getting the $500/person then you will not get referral as well.

Just be careful here. We are getting a big chunk of OBC from Seabourn for this cruise but it is not combinable with other OBCs (e.g. Amex, referral). It is combinable with shareholders OBC. So if you are getting the $500/person then you will not get referral as well.

That does pip $400 referral + $250 stockholders credit per suite, so be careful not to lose your $500 per person from the cruise.

Naseva I have one (a referral coupon).

I'm not sure if we can use them on the same cruise though

It would be great if we could take advantage of that. We have already paid in full but I gather from the sticky that we can still use the coupon.

I think that the original form has to be mailed. My son lives in Sydney so if you could e mail me martinevans1@xtra.co.nz I will give you the details.

Thanks

Hi,

The subject of photography has been covered on other threads and I had almost decided to get a new Nikon plus their 18-300 lens. (once in a lifetime and all that) Then I read somewhere that DSLR cameras are not very good at focussing video. Anyone with more knowledge care to comment? Should I get a stand alone video camera?

Hi,

The subject of photography has been covered on other threads and I had almost decided to get a new Nikon plus their 18-300 lens. (once in a lifetime and all that) Then I read somewhere that DSLR cameras are not very good at focussing video. Anyone with more knowledge care to comment? Should I get a stand alone video camera?

Naseva I have 2 video cameras, one is good for 5 feet under water, which you can borrow if you want to get into the water :)

I also bought a Canon aim click with a 20 X zoom but there is a problem with the video flattening the battery with this camera. Wish I had known before I bought it. It does take good photos though

Between us all we should manage to get some good photos

Naseva I have 2 video cameras, one is good for 5 feet under water, which you can borrow if you want to get into the water

Thanks for the offer. The camera may be good for 5ft under but I am not. Well not in the Antarctic, anyway. There seem to be a couple of Kiwis on this sailing (actually, I'm a Pom but a long time resident of Godzone), not to mention residents of that largely uninhabited island off our west coast. We should try to get together sometime when it's all over and share photos.

Well Hello form the West Island ;)

I haven't even thought about Video yet...

Pretty sure Waldo Jnrs waterproof has a reasonable video

I really need to sit down and do an inventory...

Our point and shoot lumix is very good at Video but isn't water proof

(no chance of me going even 5cm under, too far below 24c)

• 2 months later...
Hi, I am looking forward to getting some feedback from the first Antarctica cruise. Went to the Seabourn site to see when it was but of course it's no longer listed. Anyone know when it finished - if it has?

There are quite a few comments here on the Antarctica Inaugural postings http://forums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1949797

Also if you go to Seabourns Community and then the blogs and scroll down you will find lots of good stuff. There is also Seabourns Facebook page to look at

Quest is now retuning to BA to pick us up on Jan 4th

Edited by Thecat123

Thanks for that. You seem to know your way around the Seabourn site. Personally, I don't find it the easiest site to navigate. I've been trying to book the Rio Simpson horse ride (I don't dare to tell the wife that I'm doing that) but keep getting an error message. I assume that numbers will be limited - less than 450 anyway. I don't know whether the temperatures will be a little higher for our trip but I think I might go out and buys couple of extra thermals just in case.

Thanks for that. You seem to know your way around the Seabourn site. Personally, I don't find it the easiest site to navigate. I've been trying to book the Rio Simpson horse ride (I don't dare to tell the wife that I'm doing that) but keep getting an error message. I assume that numbers will be limited - less than 450 anyway. I don't know whether the temperatures will be a little higher for our trip but I think I might go out and buys couple of extra thermals just in case.

We are booked on that ride

I just tried to check out Seabourn and I got that error message as well so I would try later

Maybe they don't want us Kiwis :D

• 3 years later...
Just read about the new area on the Seabourn Quest called The Retreat. We will be sailing out of Santiago on Feb. 2. Does anyone know if it will be warm enough for at least the first few days to enjoy that area? Has anyone reserved a cabana?

I believe the Retreat is on the Encore, not the Quest.

You are correct, wripro- thanks! Just realized I got that wrong. I called Seabourn to ask them about it and the didn't correct me, even when I gave him my booking number. All he told me was that the cabanas had to be booked once we arrived on the ship. oh well!

Edited by HazelButtercup