Which Fort First?

luvscruising2007

We will be in San Juan on a Friday, arriving at 2pm, in December.

We are planning on visiting El Morro and San Cristobal. Is there a preferred sequence which we should choose?

What time do the forts close?

If we only have time for 1 fort, which should we choose?

If we walk back to port, which is the best route to take, from San Cristobal or from El Morro? Is one route safer than the other?

Thanks for any info!

We are planning on visiting El Morro and San Cristobal. Is there a preferred sequence which we should choose?

No.

6 PM.

I'd say El Morro. The route to and from is across a picturesque grassy area with sweeping views of the fort, the sea and the old city. The area around San Cristobal is somewhat more closed-in. El Morro is also adjacent to an old cemetary which is free of charge.

If we walk back to port, which is the best route to take, from San Cristobal or from El Morro?

If it were me, with a bit less than four hours to explore both, I would walk the quarter-mile or so (if you dock in the Old City) to San Cristobal, explore it thoroughly but briskly, then walk across the esplanade overlooking the Atlantic to El Morro. Take a leisurely tour of El Morro (one admission price for both forts), and then walk back through the western side of the old city overlooking the harbor. There are photo opportunities pretty much everywhere.

Is one route safer than the other?

Old San Juan is a densely populated urban area, very much a middle-class Disneyland touristy kind of feel.

Thanks for any info!

Drink plenty of liquid.

Is one route safer than the other?

Old San Juan is a densely populated urban area, very much a middle-class Disneyland touristy kind of feel.

Agree with Lard on all points! One word of caution, between the two forts don't go outside of the city walls. There is a barrio called 'La Perla' that our cab driver told us is so dangerous the police don't even enter.

I forget which fort is which.....

Once off the ship we walked to the left and walked along the wall to one fort (stopping along the way to see the church, pigeon park, etc.) After that we took the free trolly back to the ship and had lunch and then walked to the other fort (which is closer to the ship) then walked back to the ship. It I was a long day but we enjoyed it.

I forget which fort is which.....

Once off the ship we walked to the left and walked along the wall to one fort (stopping along the way to see the church, pigeon park, etc.) After that we took the free trolly back to the ship and had lunch and then walked to the other fort (which is closer to the ship) then walked back to the ship. It I was a long day but we enjoyed it.

From the docked ship, the one to the left (the one you see coming into the harbor) is El Morro. The one to the right is San Cristobal.

We will be in San Juan 12/12, but not getting into port until 4pm - would it be worth our time to try and go to El Morro for that short a time (looks like sunset just before 6pm and that is the close time)

if so, how far is it to the fort from the port, we have no problems with walking but would it be more time efficient to grab a cab ?

I have read that Princess usually utilizes Pier 4 (but don't know for certain) & only one other ship in port with us if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for any input:)

We will be in San Juan 12/12, but not getting into port until 4pm - would it be worth our time to try and go to El Morro for that short a time (looks like sunset just before 6pm and that is the close time)

if so, how far is it to the fort from the port, we have no problems with walking but would it be more time efficient to grab a cab ?

The only problem with walking between the dock and El Morro is that the old San Juan is so picturesque, so beautiful, that it may take you more than two hours to walk that short distance.

:D:D

I have read that Princess usually utilizes Pier 4 (but don't know for certain) & only one other ship in port with us if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for any input:)

Allowing some time both for the ship to disgorge you and for the walk (15-20 minutes at a leisurely pace, which is recommended because of the heat), you would probably still have a bit more than an hour. When I was there admission was something like $5, and I've seen people spend far more in far less time.

The fort itself is not that extensive horizontally. It's laid out in several vertical levels, and you start close to the top where all the views are, so you could get a pretty good feel for the place in an hour.

The area around the fort is also picturesque. The old city walls run on both sides and themselves provide plenty of photo ops. There is a spacious lawn in front of the fort, leading to the east towards San Cristobal with views over the Atlantic, and to the southeast back to the old city overlooking the harbor and city walls. There is also an old cemetery just east of the fort, no admission.

If you want to skip the interior of the fort, there are still free views of the outside both from the grassy area and from a walkway beneath the city walls along the harbor. You can reach this walkway by taking Paseo de la Princessa (just head left after disembarking), which bends north into Paseo de El Morro running along the harbor and passing San Juan Gate on its way to the turnaround just beneath El Morro's walls.

Whether you visit the interior of the fort or not - and if it were me I'd do it - the whole area around it is picturesque.

El Morro is a little nicer - but San Cristobal is a bit closer if you are in Old San Juan walking around close to the docking pier (not Pan American pier).

I have been to both of them and we look forward to seeing them again in November - have fun! You can get some great photos from either fort.

• 2 weeks later...

If we walk back to port, which is the best route to take, from San Cristobal or from El Morro? Is one route safer than the other?

Thanks for any info!

In my Carnival Victory review (in my signature) I have pictures of both of them in the first few posts ....In my opinion they are both great but if you only do one do El Morro it is so much bigger but San Cristobal is more pristine (less wear and I think a little newer) either way you will love them. The city like other posters have said is a normal urban area just don't assume anything stay aware. That being said in all the 3 times I have been there I never felt unsafe. Also do stay within the city walls (there is no mistaking where they are between the two forts) Enjoy your time there. San Juan is one of my all time favorite cities. :D:D

Archived