Mahagony Bay Beach Excursion?

Tggrtoes

Trying to finalize our shore excursions for our upcoming October cruise. We're going to Mahagony Bay, Roatan and we want to do the beach there. (I know it's not the real Roatan, but works great for an easy beach day).

For our family of 3, we'd have to purchase two excursions since each excursion is good for two people. That makes the cost $72 for the chair ride, clam shell and beach lounger.

DH points out that the mahogonybay website indicates chair lift is only $5/pp, so would only be $15 total. Is the $72 worth it? (limited shade available, really long lines for chair lift tickets, etc.)

Thx!

I wouldn't bother with any of that. What is "worth it" to some isn't to others. The walk to the beach is what...maybe 5-6 minutes? The chair ride is a novelty. You can see it on youtube. I wouldn't spend money on it unless mobility was a problem.

We would never pay to "reserve" a clam shell.

DH points out that the mahogonybay website indicates chair lift is only $5/pp, so would only be $15 total. Is the $72 worth it? (limited shade available, really long lines for chair lift tickets, etc.)

Thx!

I believe that the chair lift is about $12 each now. They have not updated their web site since they opened the port.

$72 sounds like a lot to me. For $75, you could tour the island and go to a really gorgeous beach - JMHO. If you are intent on staying in Mahogany Bay - I think the chairlift isn't necessary unless you are mobility challenged.

I agree....if you're just planning to stay at Mahogany Bay, just walk over there and use the beach for FREE. Why pay for the 'excursion'? Like the above poster said, if you're willing to pay that kind of money, book a 'real excursion' away from the cruise pier.

I think the OP is concerned about the amount of natural shade available... if there is little to none I would guess paying for a clam shell is a good idea.

I have never been to Mahogany Bay so I can not comment on shade. I have seen video of the chair lift.. it is similar to a ski resort but being no one is wearing skis to get off, there is a fair amount of stop and go.

If your family does not have mobility issues, and if one can rent a lounger/clam shell on the spot if needed... I would think no the $72 is not worth it.

If there is NO shade and NO clam shells available... yes indeed the $72 is worth it. :0)

We've booked the clamshell which included the chairlift for 2. I believe you can also just order the chair lift tickets if you want. So I would think if you wanted to you could just order 1 clam shell for 2 and then pay for the additional person for the chairlift and just share the two loungers in the clamshell amongst the 3 of you if you want. Also there are trees to provide some shade and loungers underneath them if you just want to go that way. Or like someone else mentioned you can just walk down to the beach but I thought the chairlifts were kind of fun.

• 3 weeks later...
Trying to finalize our shore excursions for our upcoming October cruise. We're going to Mahagony Bay, Roatan and we want to do the beach there. (I know it's not the real Roatan, but works great for an easy beach day).

For our family of 3, we'd have to purchase two excursions since each excursion is good for two people. That makes the cost $72 for the chair ride, clam shell and beach lounger.

Thx!

If you are worried about shade, there is plenty of shade at Mahogany Bay Beach. Mahogany Bay is a beautiful white-sand beach with plenty of palm and almond trees. Access to the beach and use of lounge chairs are free. However, there is an additional fee if you wish to rent a clam shell or one of the private air-conditioned cabana's. We could easily made the walk to the beach but the chair-lift is available for $12/person.

For more information about Mahogany Beach and to see photos, check out my review from posts #239 - #240 at this link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1704270&page=12

Archived