Queen Elizabeth Staterooms - Good and Bad

Louise D

Quite a few members of CC are thinking about booking the whole or part of the QE 2014 World Cruise when it is available for booking next week.

It is interesting that choosing the right stateroom is causing so much angst, so I thought I would start a thread to invite responses about the best and worst of the staterooms on QE.

It would be awful to book either the full world cruise or a long segment and end up with a dreadful stateroom.

So folks, please let us have your views on the best and worst staterooms on QE. We are interested in all grades - Britannia, PG and QG.

Obviously, we are interested to know about key issues such as stability, vibrations, noise, views and anything else that makes one particular stateroom good or bad.

All responses will be gratefully received.

Louise

I'm not sure if this is what you want, and if everyone responds this way things could get quite boring, but I can give you a review of the 3 cabins we have had on QE:

8039 and 8033. These are Britannia Club, we were in 8039 and our 3 children in 8033. 8039 was a very standard Britannia cabin, nice view from the balcony, quiet in the cabin. 8033 was bigger and had a larger balcony. The children thought it was darker than ours, I really didn't notice that. The balcony was very sheltered from the wind, but not very private. That really wasn't an issue, and the 5 of us sat out there a lot. The big problem with both cabins is that there is some kind of vent just above them, which is very noisy and a problem when we sat out on the balconies. I would not chose these cabins again for a warm weather trip where I would spend a lot of time on the balcony.

8084. PG. No noise from the elevators, but there was a crew door near by which slammed a lot during the night. I would accept this cabin again, but it would not be my first choice.

4098. PG. A great cabin, no noise, and a slightly larger balcony being on deck 4. A person on the balcony above us spilled their drink on us one evening, but otherwise it was perfection.

There were no problems with vibrations in any of the cabins, and they all had great views from the balconies. Even in very heavy seas in January on a crossing we didn't feel much motion at all in 8084, the seas were quite calm on the other 2 trips and we felt minimal movement.

I've had 7119 on QE.

The cabin was slightly larger than standard (but not laid out to take advantage of this extra space :confused: ). Handy for the lifts and stairs. No noise or vibration issues at all.

The balcony was also larger than standard being a "corner" balcony. Upside; Larger with wonderful views forward. Downside; Loss of privacy, esp with the next balcony forward. (Photographs of the cabin, balcony and views via the link below (with more to come))

I would not hesitate to book 7119 again :) , or a similar "corner" cabin. The view forward was simply superb, so different to looking straight out to sea.

Hope this helps.

We had cabin 5.122 last year - it's a standard balcony just aft of midships on the port side of the ship. It's one of the cabins for which the balcony is just above the tops of the lifeboats/tenders but this presented no problems at all. The only obstruction to the view is if you wish to look straight down at the sea. In two weeks time we will be in 4.001 on QV which is the furthest forward cabin on the starboard side (should be identical to the same numbered cabin on QE). It has a reputation for being noisy as it is right next to a crew recreation area but I'll report back on that aspect in early October. For me the attraction is that, because of the inward curve of the hull at that point there should be a bit of a view forward. Again, I'll say more about that when I get back.

J

We have only been on 12 cruises - and I can only really remember what kind of cabin we had on each. Certainly not the exact cabin number or it's location - fore and aft, up or down. We did have a really nice outside cabin once on P&O Oriana for half a World Cruise - but we got upgraded to it and it would normally have been W-A-A-Y out of our price range.

So we always book the cheapest "guarantee" inside we can get - and enjoy whatever we get. Any cabin we have been in has been far better than a cave in Afghanistan - so we consider ourselves very lucky.

Here is the inside QE cabin we had for our recent "3 Queens" cruise. Can't remember much about it - except that it was nice and it was on the ship. :p

3Queens1866Small.jpg

3Queens1867Small.jpg

Barry

Thanks for all the responses so far, as they have all been really useful.

It is interesting to hear about some of the problems that have been encountered with particular cabins, and also the good experiences.

For me, personally, Pepperrn's comments have been great as I was thinking of a cabin around the midships on Deck 7 and it is good to know about the lack of noise or vibration.

I did see some posts on earlier threads about the aft of QE (mainly near the stern) suffering a lot of vibration/noise issues.

PS. Barry - I laughed when you said you have only been on 12 cruises! Thanks for the photos.

Louise

We had a balcony cabin on deck 8 (which enables you to dine in the Club Britannia restaurant). Personally I would highly recommend as excellent food, service and atmosphere - and almost as good as the Grills without the price tag!! The food in the standard Britannia restaurant poor in my opinion.

We are also hoping to do a world cruise in the not too distant future. One thing that I have learnt from our experience on the QE (we have only been off a few days) is cabin location especially if like us, you like to sunbathe, enjoy a drink on your balcony etc. If you look in the Cunard brochure or website, you can see that the midship balconies are set back from the others. On deck 8 (whilst great location) we did not get hardly any sun on our balconies due to metal overhang. The corner stateroom balconies also look straight onto the other balconies and from our balcony we could look down on all the corner balconies full on. Hope this makes sense. If I sail on the QE again I would make sure I book balcony toward the front or back of ship, or middle of the midship section, on deck 8 if I wanted to go in Club Britannia or deck 7.

QE is a Vista Class ship... we were on a similar ship (different line) and have booked a similar room on our upcomng voyage to the med. We chose a cabin near the lifts on the "hump". These cabins and associated balconys extend out from the side of the ship and provide a better view forward/aft than the mid-ship. Close to the lifts allow access up and down without the hike to the front/aft locations.

Just my 2 cents worth. Will write a review when we return.

Thanks for all the responses so far, as they have all been really useful.

I did see some posts on earlier threads about the aft of QE (mainly near the stern) suffering a lot of vibration/noise issues.

Louise

Thanks for starting this thead, Louise. Could you provide a link to the thread with information about the aft cabins on QE? Thanks again!

This is a very interesting post providing good information regarding cabin selection / location.

For those who have stayed in Britannia Club, is there any noise from deck 8 above? (Any information regarding this situation on Queen Victoria or Queen Mary 2 would be appreciated as well).

Like the anytime dining this category provides but curious about any down sides to these cabins, if any.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

This is a very interesting post providing good information regarding cabin selection / location. For those who have stayed in Britannia Club, is there any noise from deck 8 above? (Any information regarding this situation on Queen Victoria or Queen Mary 2 would be appreciated as well). Like the anytime dining this category provides but curious about any down sides to these cabins, if any. Thank you for any information you can provide.

If I've understood your question correctly... forgive me if I've not, please!

On QM2 the Britannia Club cabins are all on Deck 12, with open deck space above them. There could be noise from people walking about I suppose, but there is no buffet, galley or public room above the cabins to worry about. There is a small "splash pool", two hot tubs and an outside bar (that is rarely open) but they wouldn't cause much noise for the cabins below I would have thought. The sports areas forward on deck 13 are not above Britannia Club cabins.

On QE I have heard reports from passengers that some cabins on deck 8 can hear noises from the galleys, buffet, pools and public rooms on deck 9. The Britannia Club cabins are under the Pavilion Pool area. One reason I chose a cabin on deck 7.

There is no Britannia Club on QV.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for starting this thead, Louise. Could you provide a link to the thread with information about the aft cabins on QE? Thanks again!

Hello Beth and all who have responded so far. The information is extremely useful

Beth, it seems that the QG cabins in the stern portion of the ship over several decks were reclassified downwards because of noise and vibration problems.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1545991

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1190647&page=2

But I was also reading that there is a suggestion the problem improved after the last dry dock.

Has anyone spent much time in any of those QG cabins at the stern of QE in recent times to be able to say whether the noise/vibration problems were overcome in the drydock?

This is a very interesting post providing good information regarding cabin selection / location.

For those who have stayed in Britannia Club, is there any noise from deck 8 above? (Any information regarding this situation on Queen Victoria or Queen Mary 2 would be appreciated as well).

Like the anytime dining this category provides but curious about any down sides to these cabins, if any.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

We really enjoyed the any time dining, the a la carte menu, the intimate dining room, and the opportunity for flambe and the cheese trolley in BC on QE. Our cabins were very quiet when inside, no noise from deck 9 above us, but as I have stated, our 2 cabins were under a very noisy vent that was annoying when we were out on the balconies. As the vent was directly above our cabins, I don't know if other BC cabins on QE have the same problem. Apart from that we really enjoyed our time in BC.

Louise,

Thanks for starting this thread. I wish more people would take pictures of their staterooms and post the pros and cons. I find it difficult to find any thing useful in the "Photo Gallery" because everyone labels their pictures differently.

Pepperrn.

Thanks for your easy to find pictures. I have them bookmarked because I look at them frequently.

For all who have posted - thanks for your reviews and I hope there will be many more.

Kathi

Louise, Thanks for starting this thread. I wish more people would take pictures of their staterooms and post the pros and cons. I find it difficult to find any thing useful in the "Photo Gallery" because everyone labels their pictures differently. Pepperrn. Thanks for your easy to find pictures. I have them bookmarked because I look at them frequently. Kathi

Thanks Kathi, I hope you find some of them useful, I've more to post as soon as I can find a few minutes :( .

Very best wishes :) :) .

Quite a few members of CC are thinking about booking the whole or part of the QE 2014 World Cruise when it is available for booking next week.

It is interesting that choosing the right stateroom is causing so much angst, so I thought I would start a thread to invite responses about the best and worst of the staterooms on QE.

It would be awful to book either the full world cruise or a long segment and end up with a dreadful stateroom.

So folks, please let us have your views on the best and worst staterooms on QE. We are interested in all grades - Britannia, PG and QG.

Obviously, we are interested to know about key issues such as stability, vibrations, noise, views and anything else that makes one particular stateroom good or bad.

All responses will be gratefully received.

Louise

In Jan. we were on the QV(pretty much the same as the QE)with minor differences..no Britannia Club. We were in room 8125. This is a wheelchair room. It was quite a bit larger than even a PG suite(which we turned down, when checking it out) We got the room even though we aren't handicapped. They do become available depernding on need. The only downside was the noise from the Lido above us. Better to choose a room not in that area of the ship.

Louise, thanks so much for the links. I hope someone will be able to answer your question.

Has anyone spent much time in any of those QG cabins at the stern of QE in recent times to be able to say whether the noise/vibration problems were overcome in the drydock?

We had two balcony staterooms on deck 8 Club Britannia (8039) and did not hear any noise at all from deck 9. We were quite near to lifts and even the laundry and not ever any noise, nor did we did not have any noisy vent whilst on the balcony and we only returned off our cruise last week. It is interesting having two reviews for the same cabin on this thread already !! The only downside was lack of sun on balcony due to overhang, and whilst we could see others on balconies, they could not see us.

Personally I am hesitant in doing a world cruise or sector on the QE or QV as although I adore them in many ways, many will agree they are not the best for rough seas if you happen to suffer from motion, QM it has to be !!

Hi Kathi, I've added some more pictures of the cabin, balcony and view from 7119 on QE. Very best wishes :) .

Brilliant pictures! Thanks for sharing...

I can only imagine what that will cost for a solo on a 19 day world sector voyage! lol :eek:

Archived