Voyages of Discovery and Cruise & Maritime merger

Host Sharon

We have never sailed on Discovery before but may do next summer. Can I just ask those who have been regular passengers on her - what difference is there in the Guest Speakers that used to be on her when she was a VOD ship & those that may be on her next summer (and also those on P & O which we have recently sailed on)?

Hard to know what guest speakers she will have but the announcement about her new owners sounds like they are going more for entertainment than in depth intellectual stimulation.

Many of the talks were clearly British or UK/Commonwealth oriented, but that was part of the stimulation for us Americans to draw on all our Euro and world history lesson backgrounds. We loved all of them and much of what we learned on our two long cruises still resonate with us. And for some reason we keep going back to those former countries in the Empire. And continue to get our fix of things British from Downton Abbey, and not Gosford Park.

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds like they're overextended-- they've never had two ships in service simultaneously.

What's really outrageous is that CMV announces this and VOD says nothing...

I'm booked on the MV DISCOVERY 9/25/13. I contacted VOD and they were less then helpful telling me my fare was going to go up and or my reservation may be cancelled.

I then contacted CMV they were very helpful and guaranteed me my reservation still existed and the fare would not be altered.

• 1 month later...

I never sailed on Discovery, so I cannot add to the general mourning. However, I'm considering booking a cruise on the Voyager. Can anyone point me to more info on this ship? I understand she has been newly refurbished.

I've sailed with Voyages to Antiquity twice and most recently Swan Hellenic, so I'm familiar with the general model. Just looking for info mainly on the new ship.

I never sailed on Discovery, so I cannot add to the general mourning. However, I'm considering booking a cruise on the Voyager. Can anyone point me to more info on this ship? I understand she has been newly refurbished.

I've sailed with Voyages to Antiquity twice and most recently Swan Hellenic, so I'm familiar with the general model. Just looking for info mainly on the new ship.

There isn't much really, it is in the final phase of the refit at the moment, for launch beginning of December. I am going to visit December 1 in Portsmouth, UK, so hope to get some photos then.

I have seen the ship up close once (while on Discovery in 2010) she is smaller holding around 550 passengers. The best site probably to check facilities are below, but still lacks a bit of info.

http://www.voyagesofdiscovery.co.uk/ship.php?ship_id=897&type=32

http://www.voyagesofdiscovery.co.uk/ship_faq.php?ship_id=897

It sounds like they plan to incorporate some of the features I've enjoyed on Swan Hellenic and Voyages to Antiquity, e.g., open dining, a more casual dining option (Verandah), etc. That should be nice. One of the things I liked less about Discovery in the past was fixed seating.

• 3 months later...
It looks like the refurbishment and inaugural cruise of the Discovery has run into a snag.

I wonder what the issue is that's keeping them from sailing? Did they fail an inspection? Or just not finish enough of the refurb to allow passenger safety?

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/captain-greybeard/

Well, I just picked up my mother and her friend from Avonmouth (NOT a cruise terminal by any stretch of the imagination - in fact, it's the fresh produce terminal, but you can use the staff toilets in the office!)

Given that there was no information given out on board, it's a bit of a poor show, but the reason for the cancellation seems to be that the MCA refused a marine certificate due to safety reasons. The muster drill was cancelled just before it was due to begin and some passengers were told that there was a problem with the lifeboats and that because the staff could not speak fluent English, there were communications issues during the first drill. My mother said the cabin was actually OK and had no problems with the water supply, but other people were saying that lots of stuff had been left unfinished after the overrunning refit.

I think Cruise and Maritime should specify exactly why Discovery didn't pass the safety inspection. We are due to sail on her on 15th March and I'm rather concerned. Is it a problem that can be fixed in the next week or so or a more serious safety issue? We can only think the worst as they are not being specific!

I'd also question whether C&M are wise chosing Avonmouth as a port. I've no experience of cruises, so I'm not sure how other ports compare, but Avonmouth is a working freight port. All the staff working there were Bristol Port Company, and as helpful as they were, they had no information from C&M other than trying to organise the drop-offs, parking (on rubble car-parks) and coach travel. Passengers were dropped off under the canopy of a huge warehouse, and it was minor mayhem - delays to get in, passengers just ambling about the site amongst all the cars and coaches, people leaving cars blocking other cars....I ended up helping drivers to unload baggage from coaches just to help move the show along.

Wouldn't it be wise to invest in a few basic passenger facilities before operating cruises from there in the first place?

Archived