Boarding confusion

I have had several people tell me and read in several places to be at the terminal and checked in ASAP, to get on the ship as early as possible to make the most of the day etc. But today I printed my set sail pass and it says my boarding time is 2pm. I really don't want to be sitting around in the terminal watching other people board. So should we still go early or wait until closer to our time???

Sorry if this seems like a silly questions...only my second cruise, first for my DH. The first cruise I went on last year on the Allure was with a big group and I just kinda followed along. Didn't do all of this planning on my own. :)

Thanks in advance for your input. :)

I have had several people tell me and read in several places to be at the terminal and checked in ASAP, to get on the ship as early as possible to make the most of the day etc. But today I printed my set sail pass and it says my boarding time is 2pm. I really don't want to be sitting around in the terminal watching other people board. So should we still go early or wait until closer to our time???

Sorry if this seems like a silly questions...only my second cruise, first for my DH. The first cruise I went on last year on the Allure was with a big group and I just kinda followed along. Didn't do all of this planning on my own. :)

Thanks in advance for your input. :)

They always print 2pm as the boarding time. If you're on Allure, you should be able to board by 11:30am if there are no delays from the previous cruise.

I was on the Oasis last summer. I l scheduled a cab for 10:15. The port is just 10 minuets away. There were no lines for check in. Spent a short amount of time waiting for the previous cruisers to vacate the ship. We were in the Park Cafe having lunch before 11:30. I don't see why the Allure would be any different. The only thing that would delay boarding would be the ship getting in late, a problem on the ship, or a slow down in getting the ship cleared to take on new passengers. Either way, except for priority check in guests, all others are taken on in the order from which they check in. If there is a delay in boarding, you will still be one of the first ones on.

Happy cruising.

The only "downside" is that you have to wag your carry-ons until they let you in your cabin around 1-1:30.

The "upside" is you will get to the WJ for lunch before the masses and not have a problem getting a table. As more and more get on and cannot have access to their cabins, they don't mind lingering at a table after eating waiting it out in spite of seeing many circling with their food trying to find a place to sit.

Tucker in Texas

We have boarded earlier than the time printed on our docs , even when arriving after a flight . The quickest we have been on board is just after 11 am , everyone has the same idea to head to the windjammer , on that occasion it wasnt even open so we we t up onto the pool deck had a wander around and then went back to the windjammer and joined the crowd that had assembled waiting for it to open . I hasten to add that as soon as we had eaten we vacated the table to make room for others and had another wander around the ship until the cabins opened which was bang on 1pm .in all honesty after five royal cruises I have realised that our later boardings were just as good as it's nice to drop off your hand luggage in the cabin and then explore the ship , after all the windjammer is not going to run out of food and it does get quieter after the initial rush .

Linda .

Ask on your roll call thread if everybody has the same boarding time. I've read stories here on CC that some ports are trying out "staggered boarding" and they wouldn't let you into the terminal till the time printed on your boarding pass.

I hope they will/have stopped this practice :mad: I like early boarding.

Human nature is funny every wants to be on the ship as early has possible. One week later everyone wants to get off as early as possible!

Not me, I stay until they force me off the ship. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As noted, while boarding tends to start at 11:30, staterooms are not available until about 1pm. We board, go to the Windjammer area. If it is a nice day, we will claim a table in the pool area, one of us will sit with the carryons while the other goes to the Windjammer for a plate of lunch and then the other goes. It is not long before we can access the stateroom, and unload the carryon. Walk around a little and usually our luggage shows up, we unpack and are set for the cruise.

My sister is one of those who loves to be standing outside waiting to be let into the terminal. After getting our seapass cards we usually have to sit up to 30 minutes before we are even allowed on the ship. But by 11:30-11:45 we are sitting in The Windjammer eating our Honey Stung Chicken.

By the time we are finished eating the crowds are starting to get thick, so to speak, so we give up our table and head for the Promenade Cafe for a cup of (watered down) coffee and a couple of cookies until our stateroom is ready.

We have always arrived to the port by 11am and were eating lunch by 11:45am

Same here!

OP: I definitely wouldn't wait until 2pm, no matter what it says on the boarding pass. You will be allowed to check in and board if you arrive at 11am.

Near as I can tell every port does things on their own drum beat. Which makes for some fun sometimes in the boarding process.

Getting in early can mean better spots to wait before boarding than getting in late. It can also mean longer waits. And then again, if you're real lucky, you're onboard 10 minutes after arriving.

So...

Miami- Arrived at 11a.. Customs delayed boarding until 3pm :mad:

Ft Lauderdale(Pre Oasis class)- Arrived at 10:30.. Doors opened at 11.. Onboard at 11:15

San Juan- Arrived at 11a.. Sat outside for about an hour. Onboard by 12:30p

San Pedro- Arrived at 11a.. Onboard at about 12:30p

Galveston- Arrived at 11a.. Checked in under 5 minutes, but wound up parked in the C&A lounge for nearly 2 hours. Another customs delay. Only time I've ever had a migraine when boarding and that's not really RCI's fault.

By law of averages, we should get a fast boarding on Vision in February. We shall see!

Archived