Question regarding spending on board!

Hi all!

I've cruised Disney before but never RC. I really need your help! I am a Girl Scout leader and I will be taking 9 girls (ages 14 and 15) on a RC cruise in May of 2013. These are great girls and very well behaved. (Believe me...I wouldn't put myself through this if they weren't!) I have a question regarding onboard spending. Since we are booking several rooms as a group, I am trying to figure out how to allow the girls to spend their own money on things (i.e. gift shops, Ben and Jerry's ice cream, etc) and NOT charge it to the room. Is that possible?

Do the shops/a la carte food take cash? Also, what are the other potential charging areas? Do they charge for the Rock Climbing wall etc.? I believe that I read somewhere that you can use cash in the shops on Coco Cay. Other than that I have no idea. Thanks for any help!

Hi all!

I've cruised Disney before but never RC. I really need your help! I am a Girl Scout leader and I will be taking 9 girls (ages 14 and 15) on a RC cruise in May of 2013. These are great girls and very well behaved. (Believe me...I wouldn't put myself through this if they weren't!) I have a question regarding onboard spending. Since we are booking several rooms as a group, I am trying to figure out how to allow the girls to spend their own money on things (i.e. gift shops, Ben and Jerry's ice cream, etc) and NOT charge it to the room. Is that possible?

Do the shops/a la carte food take cash? Also, what are the other potential charging areas? Do they charge for the Rock Climbing wall etc.? I believe that I read somewhere that you can use cash in the shops on Coco Cay. Other than that I have no idea. Thanks for any help!

No. Everything is charged to the room and they do not take cash in the shops or for any food. Ice cream, specialty coffees are paid for by your sea pass. The only places you can use cash are those not run/owned by the cruiseline/ship. You can buy soda cards ahead of time and then each girl could get unlimited soda.

You can set up cash accounts to cover their sea pass charges, but I've never done it so I'm not clear on how much cash, etc.

The charges are not to the room, they are to each individual seapass card. The girls can deposit cash at guest relations to use on their cards, when the card is empty they will be directed back to guest relations to add more money if they want to keep using the card.

It could be a good learning opportunity for the girls on saving and spending.

Thank you all so much for the info! The cash card thing is great! And....it definitely will be a wonderful lesson for them. SPDBigG....yes, we know about the requisite number of adult chaperones and we've got it covered. I appreciate the concerns. That's one of the great things about Cruise Critic message boards. I've gotten AMAZING help from several different boards on planning this trip. Our girls are over the moon about this opportunity and they are totally ready to work their little fannies off to sell enough cookies to pay for it! I'm so very proud of these amazing young women!:D

Archived