TS/ Hurricane Leslie

Julma

Just thought I'd update with what little info I've been able to find. Not sure where the Dawn is heading for sure (my guess is the Bahamas), but Bermuda's newspaper is listing it as not arriving.

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20120907/NEWS/709079925

What's really interesting is that according to her current direction and reporting here: http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/ she is still listing her destination as Bermuda, and she's aimed in that direction, as opposed to southwesterly which would take her to the Bahamas. It's still early in her voyage, though, so she may just be aiming for shipping lanes, but I'll keep monitoring.

Another thing I found interesting is that the Star is broadcasting her location, even though she is way out in the middle of the ocean, about level with the center of NC's Outer Banks. Ordinarily the cruise ships turn off their publicly visible signal once they are a certain distance out, for security reasons. I'm guessing they are broadcasting their position in light of the storm, for safety. Who knows, but it is curious.

I'm back on island.

When we flew in at 1:30 pm today (Thursday) I saw just the NCL Star berthed at Dockyard. No sign of X Summit - I reckon it left prolly yesterday or earlier today.

We had a smooth flight home and it wasn't windy. But we did see high surf along South Shore. This is normal to receive high surf several days before the hurricane or TS visit.

As it happens, Leslie changed her bearings and is veering east of island which means we'll get TS winds after all.

Just popped in to say stay safe Bluesea

What's really interesting is that according to her current direction and reporting here: http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/ she is still listing her destination as Bermuda, and she's aimed in that direction, as opposed to southwesterly which would take her to the Bahamas. It's still early in her voyage, though, so she may just be aiming for shipping lanes, but I'll keep monitoring.

Another thing I found interesting is that the Star is broadcasting her location, even though she is way out in the middle of the ocean, about level with the center of NC's Outer Banks. Ordinarily the cruise ships turn off their publicly visible signal once they are a certain distance out, for security reasons. I'm guessing they are broadcasting their position in light of the storm, for safety. Who knows, but it is curious.

According to Marinettaffic.com, she is now headed due south off of Ocean City, MD. So she may be headed to the Bahamas.

Thank you for your thoughts. Leslie is going to bring us high winds, that's all - good!

We are calling her a brush-by now.

Thank God. That really is strange for an Atlantic storm just to linger and stay still. Seems the ones I recall tracked right up the Atlantic and fizzled on the way toward Canada. Who knows!

Leslie's rainbands are currently over us, dumping a lot of rain. Expecting about 4" of rain altogether.

Windy but not hurricane force ones. Supposed to reach peak lunchtime today.

BA flight from London is expected to arrive tonight! :eek: And also both AA flights from JFK and MIA (which stay here overnights and fly out in mornings)! :eek::eek: All other flights (today daytime) have been cancelled.

All our 3 cats well nestled and fast asleep in their fave spots.

Methinks Dawn will be here tomorrow. We'll see ...

Leslie's rainbands are currently over us, dumping a lot of rain. Expecting about 4" of rain altogether.

Windy but not hurricane force ones. Supposed to reach peak lunchtime today.

BA flight from London is expected to arrive tonight! :eek: And also both AA flights from JFK and MIA (which stay here overnights and fly out in mornings)! :eek::eek: All other flights (today daytime) have been cancelled.

All our 3 cats well nestled and fast asleep in their fave spots.

Methinks Dawn will be here tomorrow. We'll see ...

Be safe, sounds like it shouldn't be too bad. On the positive if should fill everyone's cistern

I live in the path of both Leslie and Micheal.. we have been told that they 2 hurricanes will combine just south of New foundland..there is warning for people to stay away from the Bay of Fundy, Peggy cove and area that the rocky cliffs get close to the water..For us being from the praires and moving here less the 2 month ago it is a scary time..please keep us in your prayers

I can't believe that someone from the CELEBRITY SUMMIT has to tell us that the STAR was leaving Bermuda today at 5 PM. Isn't there anyone on the STAR that can let us know what's going on???

Yes, we left Bermuda Thursday, rather than Friday. I posted a message on Thursday from the Hamilton library.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1697972

Great cruise :)

Leslie is more or less gone. Little windy but the sky now has minimal clouds and is blue/pink/yellow (sunset time).

Minimal power outage and we lost cable for a little bit this afternoon.

Think we needed some rain and Leslie delivered that.

I'm relieved that you all escaped a direct hit and I want to thank you for the updates. I appreciated it!!!

I live in the path of both Leslie and Micheal.. we have been told that they 2 hurricanes will combine just south of New foundland..there is warning for people to stay away from the Bay of Fundy, Peggy cove and area that the rocky cliffs get close to the water..For us being from the praires and moving here less the 2 month ago it is a scary time..please keep us in your prayers

Don't worry. You are too far from both and the worst you'll get is the tail winds from Leslie. Also, Michael changed his bearings and is now going NE in parallel with Leslie - they will prolly not combine.

As always, hurricanes and tropical storms always bring high surf - starting *several* (up to 5) days before their arrival and ending about a day or 2 after their departure. So this is why your people are being advised to stay away from seashores.

I just realize that people in NS get worried when they hear that a hurricane/tropical storm was heading their way, but there is not always much to worry. I think it's the words "hurricane tropical storm" that affect them. In reality NS gets terrible non-hurricane storms!

NS has University students from Bermuda and they said they take them in stride and drink Dark n Stormy.

It's your first year I can understand it's a scary time for you but you will learn .... I've been here for 32 years and and each time we hear one is coming our way we just mutter oh crap and wait a few more days to see if they change direction. Most of the time they changed direction and avoided us. The ones making direct hits, we will know definitely about 2 days before and make all necessary preps for them. We often recover well and within a week after each direct hit.

Today's Leslie was just a long little blow, and here's a hope you'll receive the same if not none.

Best of luck to you - do keep us posted.

I'm getting back to work tomorrow after my 2 weeks' vacation.

Don't worry. You are too far from both and the worst you'll get is the tail winds from Leslie. Also, Michael changed his bearings and is now going NE in parallel with Leslie - they will prolly not combine.

As always, hurricanes and tropical storms always bring high surf - starting *several* (up to 5) days before their arrival and ending about a day or 2 after their departure. So this is why your people are being advised to stay away from seashores.

I just realize that people in NS get worried when they hear that a hurricane/tropical storm was heading their way, but there is not always much to worry. I think it's the words "hurricane tropical storm" that affect them. In reality NS gets terrible non-hurricane storms!

NS has University students from Bermuda and they said they take them in stride and drink Dark n Stormy.

It's your first year I can understand it's a scary time for you but you will learn .... I've been here for 32 years and and each time we hear one is coming our way we just mutter oh crap and wait a few more days to see if they change direction. Most of the time they changed direction and avoided us. The ones making direct hits, we will know definitely about 2 days before and make all necessary preps for them. We often recover well and within a week after each direct hit.

Today's Leslie was just a long little blow, and here's a hope you'll receive the same if not none.

Glad the hurricane missed you. How long until your cruise on the Epic?

Glad the hurricane missed you. How long until your cruise on the Epic?

Check my signature ....

It leaves Civitavecchia (Rome) on 17 Oct for 17 days to Miami via Barcelona. It's a back to back.

We originally booked 13 days Barcelona to Miami departing on 21 Oct and booked to fly out there 4 days early to stay in Barcelona. But a week before the final payment date I checked NCL online ... saw that the 17 days from Rome was $15 cheaper pp (in mini-suite) than the 13 days so we called and changed!! And we were able to nab a short flight from Barcelona to Rome the day we arrive. This will save us about 1400 euros for the 4 nights we would have spent in Barcelona, and we get to stop at 3 extra ports. :D

Only thing we hope is the AA flight from Miami to Barcelona is on time so we can catch the Vueling flight to Rome!! Luckily Vueling Air is based in Barcelona so if s**t happens we can catch a flight to Florence/Pisa/Livorno and join the ship the next day. I cannot change the AA flight as we booked it using miles ...

I know you still think Epic is "too big for your liking" but it's a pretty long cruise and there is sooo much to do and plenty of fun and good things. Interested??? It's much smaller than the Oasis and Allure!

Glad things are well in Bermuda for you guys. Thanks for the updates.

I think you put this very well in perspective Bluesea. I believe anyone that is used to certain weather patterns or threats will view things different than those that are new to it or that doesn't get affected that often. We hear of places with snowstorms and it gridlocks cities, roofs cave in, power goes out. Since that would be a normal thing for us (with the except of our roofs which are designed for that much snow). We just smile and think "I wonder if they want us to go and dig them out and show them how to deal with that". Yet even being inland if we get high winds as an after effect of a larger tropical storm, we get nervous and wonder what will happen.

Archived