NCL vs. Celebrity & Everyone Else

LoveSt.Thomas

I'm hoping my fellow Cruise Critic posters can help me out since you guys have given me such great responses in the past.

My family and I are considering booking a NCL cruise on either the Star or Dawn in early January 2013. Both have identical itineraries but we aren't sure what departure port yet, but we'll figure that out soon.

Anyways the last time my family and I were on a NCL cruise it was in January 2001 on the Norwegian Sea. My daughter was 8. Well she's almost 21 now, and we're finally giving NCL another try or at least I think we are.

Celebrity is our preferred line, but we've sailed Carnival, Royal, Costa, and MSC. I don't think I've forgotten any.

What can we expect compared to Celebrity and other lines? I know there's a multitude of things that have changed since the days of the NCL Sea, but I just wanted some opinions.

I'm sure out of all our cruises, this will be the second one my daughter has cruised on with a significant amount of people her age, which usually isn't the case.

Any opinions on the entertainment options on either ship for people in that awkward in-between age of over 18 but under 21? My daughter won't quite be 21 when we cruise in January, and I'm sure she'll have a great time regardless but want to comfort her with some other posters opinions.

Thanks!

I enjoy NCL's freestyle, unscheduled dining very much, but the food on Celebrity is much better. And I found X to be less frenetic than NCL; I particularly appreciated the fact that there was no constant barrage of announcements for bingo, shopping talks, etc.

Two very different cruise lines, each enjoyable in its own way.

I enjoy NCL's freestyle, unscheduled dining very much, but the food on Celebrity is much better. And I found X to be less frenetic than NCL; I particularly appreciated the fact that there was no constant barrage of announcements for bingo, shopping talks, etc.

I question your comment about "constant barrage" of announcements on NCL. I have not experienced that on my 40 plus cruises with NCL.

I find NCL to be a very nice innovative cruise line with very good entertainment and activities. Since many of the cruise lines are copying the changes NCL has brought to the cruise industry, the message is clear that NCL is doing their business right.

I question your comment about "constant barrage" of announcements on NCL. I have not experienced that on my 40 plus cruises with NCL.

I find NCL to be a very nice innovative cruise line with very good entertainment and activities. Since many of the cruise lines are copying the changes NCL has brought to the cruise industry, the message is clear that NCL is doing their business right.

I had the same thought although I only have 7 NCL cruises to base it on. Very few announcements really and I have found that to be the same on the other lines we have cruised with.

The differences between X and NCL that we most noticed was the type of music around the pool, much more upbeat on NCL, drinks like Mudslides were made with cream on X, not a frozen drink like NCL and the average age of the cruisers. At 59 I was 14 years younger than the next youngest person at our table of 8 at dinner. Not that there wern't others our age on board but they seemed to be few and far between.

Dave

I could give you a whole dissertation on the differences/similarities amongst the major cruise lines, but I sincerely believe that there is a higher probibility that your daughter will have a better time on NCL than Celebrity. Both are good, but in different ways and for different atmospheres on board.

Is there still the option of having the same table and wait staff every night? That is actually really important to us, since we like getting to know our wait staff and they tend to figure out our preferences really fast and that's helpful when both my husband and daughter are such picky eaters.

What kind of changes are you referring to specifically? The whole select/freestyle dining concept? That's the only one that I can necessarily think of. Just interested to know.

I could give you a whole dissertation on the differences/similarities amongst the major cruise lines, but I sincerely believe that there is a higher probibility that your daughter will have a better time on NCL than Celebrity. Both are good, but in different ways and for different atmospheres on board.

I realize that you could write a novel on the differences, but what stands out to you? Millions of things have changed since we sailed NCL in 2001.

As far as having a better time, my daughter finds fun in absolutely everything and every cruise. Even when there are no kids her age she still has a blast so I'm sure there will be no problem with her having fun, it's just nice when she doesn't have to go out of her way to meet people, find things to do, etc.

We ave sailed both NCL and Celebrity in the past couple of years (also Princess), and we find NCL to be very different from the other two. NCL is just way more casual, in every way. This may be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your perspective, and we enjoy both styles for different reasons. Anyway, on NCL there are no required formal nights and basically no dress code. There is no pressure to dress up or even change for the evening, and you'll see every style of dress in the dining rooms or around the ship. Decor is brighter, and overal ambiance is more relaxed, friendlier, livelier. We think that the food in the MDRs on NCL is a cut below the other lines, but we don't mind paying the surcharge for the specialty restaurants and like the wider variety to choose from. NCL ships have always been clean and well maintained, and staff is friendly and efficient. Entertainment is better than Celebrity, at least in our opinion. I'm not sure about options for someone not quite 21, but NCL definitely has more going on, so that should help. Princess often seems to offer some acivities for that in between group, but I don't remember one way or the other on NCL.

Is there still the option of having the same table and wait staff every night?

On NCL there is no such option, your only chance is to go to the same restaurant and ask to be seated to specific waiter's section but the waiters are not always at the same restaurants every night so there is a possibility that the same waiter isn't available or at least there might not be free tables in that specific section.

First, you are on a NCL board so generally the responses are bias. We've been on both lines recently and while we prefer X (which generally is rated higher by many professionals), NCL is acceptable. We found the entertainment better on NCL , but food & refinement better on X. X now also has a choice of free style dining or fixed times & tables. X tends to be more formal but there are choices so that you do not have to dress up on formal nights. Service & ambiance similiar but NCL pushes harder (including more announcements) for upsells. I think age of pax depends more on time of year, length of cruise & itinerary.

What kind of changes are you referring to specifically? The whole select/freestyle dining concept? That's the only one that I can necessarily think of. Just interested to know.

That is the majority of the differences NCL has brought to cruising. Elimination of assigned dining, specialty restaurants, cabins for solo cruisers, and relaxed dress codes have all been copied or are getting the attention of the other mainstream lines as well as the guests. They have also captured the attention of the industry with their suite perks.

One innovation that hasn't been copied is the hull art.

I would also like to mention that many of the crew are at or near the age of your daughter, so she shouldn't feel left out. Those "kids" enjoy making people happy !!!

First, you are on a NCL board so generally the responses are bias. We've been on both lines recently and while we prefer X (which generally is rated higher by many professionals), NCL is acceptable. We found the entertainment better on NCL , but food & refinement better on X. X now also has a choice of free style dining or fixed times & tables. X tends to be more formal but there are choices so that you do not have to dress up on formal nights. Service & ambiance similiar but NCL pushes harder (including more announcements) for upsells. I think age of pax depends more on time of year, length of cruise & itinerary.

I have never felt pushed for upsells. They are available for those that want them.

I find the suite experience equal or better to X. X has a good product and remains my second choice.

We ave sailed both NCL and Celebrity in the past couple of years (also Princess), and we find NCL to be very different from the other two. NCL is just way more casual, in every way. This may be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your perspective, and we enjoy both styles for different reasons. Anyway, on NCL there are no required formal nights and basically no dress code. There is no pressure to dress up or even change for the evening, and you'll see every style of dress in the dining rooms or around the ship. Decor is brighter, and overal ambiance is more relaxed, friendlier, livelier. We think that the food in the MDRs on NCL is a cut below the other lines, but we don't mind paying the surcharge for the specialty restaurants and like the wider variety to choose from. NCL ships have always been clean and well maintained, and staff is friendly and efficient. Entertainment is better than Celebrity, at least in our opinion. I'm not sure about options for someone not quite 21, but NCL definitely has more going on, so that should help. Princess often seems to offer some acivities for that in between group, but I don't remember one way or the other on NCL.

I guess this is something we will have to wait and see. We tend to really like the formal atmosphere on Celebrity. My daughter, a college student doesn't get many opportunities to dress up so she likes dressing up when we cruise.

And my daughter loves activities, so I think she'll find plenty to keep her busy.

Thanks for all the wonderful opinions. I know not many can comment, but we are really looking forward to our upcoming NCL cruise but it's been over a decade since we've sailed NCL last and are just overwhelmed with what's changed.

We understand that it's going to be different from X, but then again there are reasons why we keep going back to X. This time around, NCL had better itineraries, pricing, and upgrades which is why we decided to give them another try.

I'm sure we'll have a great time because like most on this board, any day on a cruise ship is better than a day at home in the cold, snowy Midwest especially in January.

You can certainly dress up if you want to! NCL has an optional formal night called Dress Up or Not, and you'll see more people dressed up than on the other nights, but I don't think it will be anywhere near the majority. We do miss the elegant ambiance of formal night on Princess and Celebrity, with everyone around you in dressy attire. But, we remind ourselves that all the lines have their pros and cons--- we have not found a perfect line yet. And, I have to say it gets a little boring to always cruise the same line where menus, entertainment, and so on are pretty similar from cruise to cruise. You'll have a great time as long as you are prepared for the differences in advance.

I guess this is something we will have to wait and see. We tend to really like the formal atmosphere on Celebrity. My daughter, a college student doesn't get many opportunities to dress up so she likes dressing up when we cruise.

And my daughter loves activities, so I think she'll find plenty to keep her busy.

I did notice on my past NCL cruises that there would be at least one group of young people who either already knew each other or met up on the ship and would dress to the nines for dinner every night...

I hope you enjoy your cruise. If you all like to dance you will enjoy the nightlife...

The entertainment was also really good.

I did notice on my past NCL cruises that there would be at least one group of young people who either already knew each other or met up on the ship and would dress to the nines for dinner every night...

I hope you enjoy your cruise. If you all like to dance you will enjoy the nightlife...

The entertainment was also really good.

That sounds perfect for my daughter! She absolutely loves dancing and mingling/meeting new people whether that be on the pool deck for the parties or in the bars/clubs/lounges on the ship.

Archived