Lladro shopping in Barcelona??

buddylover

Those of you "seasoned" travellers and folks who live in Spain, with our limited time in Barcelona, where would you suggest that we find the largest selection and pricing for purchasing Lladro figurines? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We cannot answer your question but can sure tell you about a LLadro experience we had in Barcelona. A few years ago we were in Barcelona and wanted to buy a Lladro piece for a family member that is a real collector. We priced-out some pieces but finally were not impressed and did not make a purchase. A few weeks later we happened to be in a local Sams Club store and noticed they had the identical Lladro piece we almost bought in Barcelona. The Sam's price was about $40 less then the same piece in Barcelona :). Some have suggested that the best Lladro prices are in Gibraltar (because of their lower taxes) but we have never priced anything out in that port.

Hank

With the advent of the internet- you are apt to buy it cheaper here even with delivery.

http://www.lladro.com/

My suggestion would be to window shop, if you see something you like, refer to the website and if it is cheaper (remember they charge VAT in Europe) and you want to pay to have it sent home or haul it home yourself... then buy it there. I suspect you aren't going to find deals in the tourist shops because they know that people don't know the online prices.. but now you do.

I am a collector of Lladro and made the mistake of purchasing one in Barcelona. The prices are much better in the US especially when you factor in the exchange rate. As stated above from time to time Sam's Club as well as Costco carry them at a great price.Bottom line buy them at home.

Debra

We cannot answer your question but can sure tell you about a LLadro experience we had in Barcelona. A few years ago we were in Barcelona and wanted to buy a Lladro piece for a family member that is a real collector. We priced-out some pieces but finally were not impressed and did not make a purchase. A few weeks later we happened to be in a local Sams Club store and noticed they had the identical Lladro piece we almost bought in Barcelona. The Sam's price was about $40 less then the same piece in Barcelona :). Some have suggested that the best Lladro prices are in Gibraltar (because of their lower taxes) but we have never priced anything out in that port.

Hank

Oh my gosh.....that is terrible. Same thing happened to us on a Caribbean cruise years back. Bought a "Caribbean Tanzanite" ring, which we hadn't seen in the US, was told it was only sold in Caribbean. It was fairly costly, came home and over X-Mas saw 2 and 3 carat rings with the same "Caribbean Tanzanite" for 1/4 of the price we paid for our little stones. Live and learn.

Thanks for the head up Hank....will shop specific pieces that I know the cost of in US.

With the advent of the internet- you are apt to buy it cheaper here even with delivery.

http://www.lladro.com/

My suggestion would be to window shop, if you see something you like, refer to the website and if it is cheaper (remember they charge VAT in Europe) and you want to pay to have it sent home or haul it home yourself... then buy it there. I suspect you aren't going to find deals in the tourist shops because they know that people don't know the online prices.. but now you do.

Great advice.....thank you!

If you want to look, there is a Lladró shop in Paseo de Gracia

Details here

I don't know what the prices are like there compared to US.

Are you going to any other Spanish ports? Valencia would be good - that is where Lladró is made. You can visit the factory and the museum there.

No, unfortunately, will only be in Barcelona....but would LOVE to visit Valencia and the Lladro factory. Was hopeful that there was some "off the beaten path" shop with some pieces that don't get exported to US...hmmm! Was really hoping for a special piece to remind me of this magical visit.

Thanks for your help!!

1981396467_dscn3169(2).jpg.dba02dd62604f92b9d8cf7a93e1e6a21.jpg

We purchased one of the two pictured pieces at the Lladro factory outside of Valencia this past July. "Exclusive" design for Spain only, but available on internet for $609, plus shipping. The photo is from a shop on La Rambla in Barcelona, price 450E, plus shipping. Our purchase was 461E or $599 INCLUDING guaranteed shipping from Spain. No VAT charged since it was shipped to USA. It arrived in perfect condition only 4 days after our return home, plus we got to watch it (or several like it) being made.

If you appreciate craftsmanship, it is worth it to take the Lladro factory tour.

Rick

As others have mentioned, we have found that we do far better in the United States. If you want to purchase it because you are in Spain and want a memory of the trip that is a different story but if it is to get a good price I would purchase it back home.

Keith

As others have mentioned, we have found that we do far better in the United States. If you want to purchase it because you are in Spain and want a memory of the trip that is a different story but if it is to get a good price I would purchase it back home.

Keith

Thanks, for the advice. I certainly don't want to pay lots more than I would here at home, but yes, part of it is the sentamentality of knowing it was from our trip to Spain.

Years back we purchased some Lalique pieces in France for an incredible price differential of what the pieces cost here in the US...but if Lladro is priced the same, then you are correct, with the monetary conversion it may not make it worthwhile. Wasn't certain what the pricing would be in Spain (barring the Euro to USD difference), but if it is exactly the same "retail" sticker as here in the US....hmmmm.....might not be the "best" purchase....oh well!

Unless you are sailing back to U.S., keep in mind you probably would have to carry your Lladro piece on the plane. I wouldn't trust checking it. Years ago, we carried home some pieces but there were no carry on limits then. It was inconvenient, bulky though wrapped exceptionally well and we had to cope with whether Custom would insist we open and show them the piece.

If you can buy it at home for similar or even lower price, it is worth considering doing that.

If you want to buy Lladro as a momento of your trip, then by all means do it! I would recommend asking to see the pieces that are made for Barcelona only. Five years ago I purchased a Gaudi inspired Barcelona piece at a shop on La Rambla at the water end. As you are looking up La Rambla with the water at your back the shop is on the right. Two years after purchasing this piece, I returned with my daughter. We immediately went to the same shop and asked to see the Guadi inspired pieces. All gone. She was crushed. However, when she got married this year, her gift just from me was the Gaudi piece. The look on her face was priceless!

Also, check the ship's shops. Not as much fun, but you may receive a better deal.

• 2 weeks later...
If you want to buy Lladro as a momento of your trip, then by all means do it! I would recommend asking to see the pieces that are made for Barcelona only. Five years ago I purchased a Gaudi inspired Barcelona piece at a shop on La Rambla at the water end. As you are looking up La Rambla with the water at your back the shop is on the right. Two years after purchasing this piece, I returned with my daughter. We immediately went to the same shop and asked to see the Guadi inspired pieces. All gone. She was crushed. However, when she got married this year, her gift just from me was the Gaudi piece. The look on her face was priceless!

Also, check the ship's shops. Not as much fun, but you may receive a better deal.

Thanks for this advice kbubbles....it is exactly what I was aiming for....to find a very specific piece that isn't sold for sale in the US, like the Gaudi piece you mention.....can't compare pricing on something you can't even get at home....that's a wonderful memory piece. Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...
[ATTACH]244314[/ATTACH]

We purchased one of the two pictured pieces at the Lladro factory outside of Valencia this past July. "Exclusive" design for Spain only, but available on internet for $609, plus shipping. The photo is from a shop on La Rambla in Barcelona, price 450E, plus shipping. Our purchase was 461E or $599 INCLUDING guaranteed shipping from Spain. No VAT charged since it was shipped to USA. It arrived in perfect condition only 4 days after our return home, plus we got to watch it (or several like it) being made.

If you appreciate craftsmanship, it is worth it to take the Lladro factory tour.

Rick

Thank you so much for posting the pictures of those gorgeous Lladro's.....I am so excited to see pieces such as these and to add a memory of Spain to our collect. Really wish we had time to visit Valencia and see the factory...WOW!! We leave next week.....can't wait!

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update, we are back home. We did go visit the Lladro dealer shop on Passeo de Gracia and bought a piece (Thank you English in Spain)......and even with the exchange rate being so unfavorable to the USD, we still got a better price than can be found if purchased on the internet.

Lladro discounted the piece 20% (for VAT), added shipping charges, and it arrived at our home in US 4 days later (shipped directly from Valencia Lladro factory). This piece cannot be found on the retail shelves here in US, but can be found searching on the internet. We paid 430 Euro (approx $559 USD) inclusive of shipping...... Looking on the internet, the same piece is $675 USD....so even with the direct shipping charges added in, we came out ahead and I am thrilled with my "special memory" of our trip to Spain.

Archived