QM2 whistles

Aquaphobic

My DW and I have just returned from a wonderful holiday on the QM2 (NYC-HAM, 7 days in Germany, HAM-NYC). We had several foggy days on the eastbound crossing and thus heard a lot of the mournful, evocative sound of the foghorn.

More than once I was outside on Deck 12 when the ship's four whistles were tested at noon, one whistle at a time (first the two foghorns, then the two whistles on the funnel). For those of you who are interested, one of the funnel whistles is from the RMS Queen Mary of 1936; the other is an exact replica.

Now here's what I noticed during the test: one of them does indeed sound like the Queen Mary whistle (it's a sound which, once you've heard it, you'll never forget it!:)) but the other one sounds rather like a sick duck.:eek: Perhaps someone on this board who knows a thing or two about ship's whistles can shed some light on this matter.

You are right, there is a flatulent quality to it. I do not think compressed air and steam have the same effect. I believe it is the port whistle on the stack. Could be wrong.:eek::D IMHO, QE2's whistles were much more pleasant and imposing. :D Yes, I know, only a steam ship till the mid 80's

I also think it is the port-side whistle on the QM2 funnel that sounds "off" (this is the replica :confused: ). The starboard-side one is the original from the Queen Mary's second funnel I think ( :confused: ).

The added “fake” steam (the whistles being run by air) was removed a couple of years back, I believe. The system had almost stopped working so they switched it off, or so I was told by one officer. Unless someone has seen it in operation recently (ie since the last refit late 2011)? Maybe it is working once more?

Here is a photo (2007) with steam coming from the starboard-side whistle...

QM2 ...The starboard whistle announces sailaway...

Here they are in 2008 in a video...

QM2's whistles

I believe there are regulations in force now that prohibit the use of the low note used by QE2 on new-build ships, which is why no modern horns sound as good. For vessels over 200 m in length the lowest note allowed is 70hz. QE2 carried 70hz horns and a 55hz version, which is the once-heard-never-forgotten one. The horns on QE2 (in the mast) were always air operated I think. I am willing to corrected by anyone, on anything above, with greater knowledge than my poor memory :o .

When I did my trip over to Hamburg from Southampton, we all eagerly gathered on deck 13 to whiteness the testing of the horns... But, because some big cargo vessel had decided to travel alongside, the Captain said he could not do it in case it caused alarm to the captain of the other vessel...

We were disappointed. :(

I look forward to it on the TA though!

I also think it is the port-side whistle on the QM2 funnel that sounds "off" (this is the replica :confused: ). The starboard-side one is the original from the Queen Mary's second funnel I think ( :confused: ).

The added “fake” steam (the whistles being run by air) was removed a couple of years back, I believe. The system had almost stopped working so they switched it off, or so I was told by one officer. Unless someone has seen it in operation recently (ie since the last refit late 2011)? Maybe it is working once more?

Here is a photo (2007) with steam coming from the starboard-side whistle...

QM2 ...The starboard whistle announces sailaway...

Here they are in 2008 in a video...

QM2's whistles

I believe there are regulations in force now that prohibit the use of the low note used by QE2 on new-build ships, which is why no modern horns sound as good. For vessels over 200 m in length the lowest note allowed is 70hz. QE2 carried 70hz horns and a 55hz version, which is the once-heard-never-forgotten one. The horns on QE2 (in the mast) were always air operated I think. I am willing to corrected by anyone, on anything above, with greater knowledge than my poor memory :o .

Thanks for posting the video; it's definitely the port-side one that's 'off'. As an organ builder, I can tell you that a trumpet pipe will sound 'off' if there's a dead bug in it, so perhaps the port-side whistle has a dead bird stuck in it.:eek::D

The horns on QE2 (in the mast) were always air operated I think. I am willing to corrected by anyone, on anything above, with greater knowledge than my poor memory :o .

Per a conversation I had with Captain Bennell (RIP), the horns on QE2 were steam operated before the re-engining.

I agree that one side has an odd sound, but my understanding is that each whistle is intentionally tuned to a different note.

When tested seperately this is obvious, when sounded together in normal operation leaving port the combined tone is more pleasing.

Sailing in 2009 & 2010 I wondered what had become of the fake steam,

kept looking for it! I believe they are still run by compressed air though, the hiss just before the whistles sound is quite audible.

Also would be inclined to agree that compressed air produces a less thunderous result than steam. QM2's horns are pale in comparison to similar ones on the old CARNIVALE (ex-EMPRESS OF BRITAIN) and others on the final generation of steamships for example.

Thanks for posting the video; it's definitely the port-side one that's 'off'. As an organ builder, I can tell you that a trumpet pipe will sound 'off' if there's a dead bug in it, so perhaps the port-side whistle has a dead bird stuck in it.:eek::D

Hello,

Next time you are sitting at your organ console, put a 16' reed on the pedal and play the low A and C# together with your feet - a major third that should sound similar to the QM2 whistle!

Cheers!

Alan

Hello Pepper,

I think it is the QM2 with the 55hz and 70hz whistles - the 55hz whistle is from the old Queen Mary. The two blown together produce the two-tone effect which gives the QM2 her unique sound.

I am fairly sure the QE2 whistles were tuned to 75hz.

Regards,

Alan

Hello,

Next time you are sitting at your organ console, put a 16' reed on the pedal and play the low A and C# together with your feet - a major third that should sound similar to the QM2 whistle!

Cheers!

Alan

I did that during one of the hymns this morning...oops!:D

Hello Pepper, I think it is the QM2 with the 55hz and 70hz whistles - the 55hz whistle is from the old Queen Mary. The two blown together produce the two-tone effect which gives the QM2 her unique sound. I am fairly sure the QE2 whistles were tuned to 75hz. Regards, Alan

Hi Alan, thanks for the correction, I was working from memory from a book I saw in 2003 describing both QE2 and QM2, my feeble memory is not what it was, and it wasn't much to start with. I haven't heard both ships sound their horns together since 2004 (although many times separately) when QE2's sounded a lot lower than the horns on QM2. But if QM2 has got the 55hz one...

(I was standing just below the Bridge Wing on QE2, talking to my parents via mobile 'phone, as she departed Southampton in '07. When the horn sounded I nearly dropped the 'phone over the side, and one lady dropped the champagne bottle and glass she was holding. One felt it rather than heard it. What it must have sounded like in the two suites immediately aft of the mast... )

All best wishes, thanks again :) .

Archived