Christmas on Isle of Pines

larnie

We're going on the Pacific Jewel 10 day Cruise which will be at Isle of Pines Christmas Day.

We thought it would be nice to find a pool with a bar attached and have a nice lazy day. Maybe go to the beach for a bit of snorkling. I've done a bit of looking about and it seems Le Meridien is the only resort option??? Does anyone know if we'd have to book ahead given that it's Christmas?

Also how much do they charge to use the facilities for the day?

I was also wondering if anyone can tell me about the theme nights on board... how do we know before the cruise what to take?

Thanks Aus Traveller.... I was reading some reviews on TripAdvisor of Le Meridien and a few people said they had gone there on a cruise day, someone else was staying there and said how awful it was when all the cruise people invaded their space!! We did something similar on a caribbean cruise and it was the best day, just hanging out at the pool/bar right on the beach talking to people from all over the world.

As for the theme nights, are these just a "fancy dress" party in a particular area or is it ship wide?

When i travelled last year the people that went to the hotel hated it.... but each to there own.... you could always snorkel etc at sacred rock its amazing then head back to the ship for cocktails etc... because it's Christmas day it would probally have amazing stuff going on around the public areas.

Theme nights are ship wide but the stuff get heaps more into it then the guests. But it's all fun tho.

Thanks Amy... sounds like that might be the thing to do. I guess we'll see what the day brings, really depends how many people there are on board, at the pool, I know it sounds awful but I don't want to be surrounded by screaming kids ( been there, done that )!!

You've both suggested Sacred Rock for snorkling, where exactly is that? I can't find much on google earth.

When you leave the jetty, walk to the left (the way everyone will be going) and at the Y junction, keep walking straight ahead (don't turn left). The sacred rock is a couple of hundred metres further on (on the right). Total distance from the ship is probably 600m. The sand is white and soft and there is plenty of shade.

We have sometimes walked along to the resort (past the sacred rock). Usually there are passengers drinking on the deck, but I haven't seen any passengers in the pool (although they may be allowed there). When the ocean is so lovely, I wouldn't get in the pool. :)

You've both suggested Sacred Rock for snorkling, where exactly is that? I can't find much on google earth.

This is a screen shot from Google Maps in Sattelite view - I do not have the skills to insert a clickablelink map.

IsleofPines.jpg

Good directions from Aus Traveller! The Debarcadere is the tender wharf and the jutting outcrop in Kanumera Bay is the Sacred Rock. The beach opposite is also good for swimming rather than snorkeling. There is some advantage in tendering early as the snorkeling area can get a little churned up closer in shore. One warning unless you are a very strong swimmer avoid swimming around the rock - stay on the LHS looking out to sea. Strong currents and no coral or fish anyway. Kou Bungy may offer drinks etc on Christmas Day but I suggest you email them to check. I cropped this off for our roll call. Colleen

This is a screen shot from Google Maps in Sattelite view - I do not have the skills to insert a clickablelink map.

IsleofPines.jpg

Good directions from Aus Traveller! The Debarcadere is the tender wharf and the jutting outcrop in Kanumera Bay is the Sacred Rock. The beach opposite is also good for swimming rather than snorkeling. There is some advantage in tendering early as the snorkeling area can get a little churned up closer in shore. One warning unless you are a very strong swimmer avoid swimming around the rock - stay on the LHS looking out to sea. Strong currents and no coral or fish anyway. Kou Bungy may offer drinks etc on Christmas Day but I suggest you email them to check. I cropped this off for our roll call. Colleen

The Debarcadere is a large jetty where inter-island ferries stop. The tenders from cruise ships take passengers to a much smaller jetty much further to the right (the right-hand one of the two shown in the photo).

The sacred rock is shown in the photo (like a small island) in Kanumera Bay. The resort is further to the right (off the map).

Have a great cruise.

The Debarcadere is a large jetty where inter-island ferries stop. The tenders from cruise ships take passengers to a much smaller jetty much further to the right (the right-hand one of the two shown in the photo).

The sacred rock is shown in the photo (like a small island) in Kanumera Bay. The resort is further to the right (off the map).

Have a great cruise.

You are right, I thought it looked more substantial than I remembered! Oops! Colleen

Thanks again ladies.

I'm assuming everyone gets off the tender and heads to the same spot? Is there anywhere else you'd recommend, somewhere maybe that the majority of people won't find or know of? Once again though being Christmas day there may not be many options I guess, don't know if the locals will be wanting to drive the tourists around on Christmas day.... we might have to check out Kanumera Bay and if it's crowded just do some exploring to find somewhere quieter.

Just want to have a few ideas before we get there and then just play it by ear... all suggestions welcome!!

I think many people snorkel near the Sacred Rock. Last time we took the ship's tour to the Natural Aquarium, then intended to swim near the rock, but it just poured with rain in the afternoon and everybody stayed on the ship.

We tendered to the small jetty on the right also. :)

Since you are the Jewel, they may be offering the excursion I did last year - The Natural Aquarium. I rarely recommend ship's tours but this one (if it is available that cruise) is worth it. Lovey beach, isolated (about 19 k from where you tender) and beautiful clear water - coral not great but the fish were plentiful and colourful. The trip there plus the walk across the estuary is also fun. If it is available and you decide to do it book on line - it was booked out quite early on our cruise. Forgive the bad map reading! Colleen

Archived