Newbie at Cruisin

Mzmamaz82

My boyfriend and I both are going on on our 1st cruise and this will be my first time out of the US. We set sail Oct 4 from Port Canveral to the Bahamas (Nassau and Half Moon Cay) aboard Carnival Ecstacy! I am very excited and nervous as I have no idea how I should/shouldnt pack. We are just looking for some tips and suggestions to get the most out our cruise experince both in port and on the ship!!!

For a 4 day cruise, you can probably pack in a carryon bag. However, everyone overpacks on their first cruise, so don't worry. Bring comfortable shoes that you wear to walk around the ship.

Welcome to the most addictive vacation around!

Half Moon Cay means beach wear.

Nassau usually means street wear.

One "elegant night", first & last night dinner is casual.

Don't forget the sunscreen, a hat, and sunglasses.

It will still be warm in early October.

Most women want a sweater in the dining hall and the theater.

Have a great time!

dk

You must be so excited!!

There usually is only one outlet in your stateroom, so most of us bring a power strip.

Don't forget aspirin, etc. They are expensive in the shops.

The ship is beautiful at night..I love to walk around the outside decks and take pictures.

A travel mug with a lid is handy, you can walk around with coffee and don't have to worry about spilling it.

Carnival . com is free to use, so if you have your laptop or want to use the 'Internet Cafe', there is a forum titled 'Currently OnBoard' that you can post to so your family and friends can communicate. All who post have to be registered on Carnival . com, to be able to post.

If you can, get there a day before the ship sails and get a hotel room. If you fly, there might be delay, and you sure don't want to miss the cruise.

Coffee from Room Service is in a Carafe, and the sugar is in packets, half and half in a little pitcher. To me, there is never enough sugar, so I bring some from the Lido and keep in my room.

If you have to leave the room for a moment (like putting the room service tray in the hallway), throw the deadbolt after you open the door, so it won't shut and lock you out if it closes behind you. Happened to me, I had to use the hall phone to call downstairs, as I was locked out....lol.

If negative things happen, like rude people, etc., take it in stride, you will be on an adventure!!

Melanie

My boyfriend and I both are going on on our 1st cruise and this will be my first time out of the US. We set sail Oct 4 from Port Canveral to the Bahamas (Nassau and Half Moon Cay) aboard Carnival Ecstacy! I am very excited and nervous as I have no idea how I should/shouldnt pack. We are just looking for some tips and suggestions to get the most out our cruise experince both in port and on the ship!!!

Wow, I remember how excited we were before our first cruise!! Don't worry, you will overpack, there's no way around it.

* We took snacks on our first cruise, we had no idea that there was 24 hr food....room service is free, just give a tip.

* Read through the schedule that is left in your room every evening and pick out the activities that you want to do.

* Plan on bringing all of the toiletries and medicine you may need because the on board shops are quite expensive.

* Some people recommend just bringing two or three changes of clothes and doing the "mix and match" thing. Personally, I would rather overpack than wear stinky clothes!

* Don't try to do everything - I felt guilty about afternoon naps, like I should have been doing something or else I was wasting time and money. Relax and take a nap!:D

I always pack...

1. an alarm clock - there isn't a clock in the room, so its really nice to have one.

2. A 3-in-1 plug. There is only one outlet in the room

3. a flashlight - its dark in the room at night (esp in the interior rooms) and if you need to get up to use the bathroom, its nice to not wake your roommate/boyfriend

4. sunscreen

5. a jacket - its cold on deck at night, as well as in the ship. They blast the AC a lot & I always want a light jacket

Passports, meds, sunscreen, nightlight to plug in the bathroom, battery operated alarm clock, Tide to Go, seasick patch (some people do not agree with this, but I need them--ginger does not work for me), cheap watch, insulated cup, retractable lanyard for s&s card.

And of course clothing--Pack light, I have yet to wear all the clothes I pack. :p

And you're coming from New Jersey, right? Fly in the day before your ship sails!! Most important piece of advice...

We have never flew in the day before and we live in NJ,never had an issue.Some people cannot get the extra time off work

Congratulations on your first cruise! Hope it is fabulous for you both.

I bring a tote bag to carry stuff to the beach and to have on the ship with me holding my book, water bottle and little camera.

I found I'd only wear half the clothes I'd bring, I often wear my swim suit and a cover up most days in warm climates - always ready for a swim or a hot tub soak.

Do bring your passport or whatever you are using for boarding documents - the only absolute MUST!

Turn OFF your cell phone or especially a smart phone when not in use so no apps are running, don't want any unexpected charges.

Bring some 1$ bills for room service tips, and some 5s and 10s for small souvenier purchases, but you can get change at the front desk is needed.

Bring a smile and if you see someone without one, give them one of yours! It's a vacation and such a treat! Don't let anything ruin it for you, there's so much good to enjoy! so don't sweat the small stuff.

If you need something, or if something needs attention, DO ask. They can't do it if you don't bring it to their attention... and they really do want you to have a great cruise. m--

* Some people recommend just bringing two or three changes of clothes and doing the "mix and match" thing. Personally, I would rather overpack than wear stinky clothes!

We never wear them long enough to get them stinky. After dinner, we change back into what we were wearing during the day.

pack lighly on the clothes.. formal night.. I used to do REALLY formak.. now it's more of a party dress. Coco Cay.. go early and grab a hammock. Have some one take your photo and use it for Christmas cards.

We always bring a case of pepsi and water onboard.

We have done Nassau a million times, and this time we won't even get off the ship. Except we do love Senor Frogs.

If you are staying in Cocoa.. there is a great place to eat called Grandpa's Steak house. It is right off of I95 and 520. It's wonderful food, set in a few old train cars.

:) your gonna have a blast dont pack too much stuff because that happened to my sister and we got her luggage last my grandma said that nassau is really fun im going in december to cozumel magaritaville and jamacia:)

you will have so much fun just remember to bring some money but put it in your front pocket because there are pickpockets everywhere do that and tell your boyfriend to do that to

..... We are just looking for some tips and suggestions to get the most out our cruise experince both in port and on the ship!!!

I have a feeling you will be back so why stress yourself? My first cruise was planned to the minute like summer camp. Never mind having 5 minutes to sit and count flying fish. It was go, go, go!

There is plenty of advise here for clothing. I shoot for comfort above all else but I will dress for the occasion.

You will find a schedule in your cabin each night, for the next day. Look it over and plan your activities. Just don't plan so much. You will have to make choices as there are several things going at once. Save something for the next cruise. You will be back.

Archived