Phone & Skype Questions - Europe - a bit Off-Topic

roothy123

I know this is a bit off-topic, but I cruise Oceania quite a bit, and know that its passengers (at least the ones on Cruise Critic!) know a lot about a lot of things, so I thought I ask my questions here.

I recently tried to Skype from Europe, after getting WiFi from a museum. I could not connect and make a call. Is there anything special about Europe that changes how you Skype in Europe? (I was in Visby, Sweden, at the time - on the island of Gotland if it makes any difference. I was able to email from my netbook, just not Skype.)

Also, my Virgin Mobile service-enabled Samsung Iphone did not work in Europe. The concierge graciously called Virgin Mobile for me and I was told they use Sprint service, and it's only available in the U.S. I have a friend who used his phone in Paris with no trouble, at least for sending photos to Facebook, so I am a little confused as to what was different. He DID have a different iPhone than I had, but still a Samsung that he had purchased through Virgin. I was not able to make calls, and I understand that, but shouldn't I have at least been able to get WiFi? I checked the settings and did not have the phone set to airplane or no WiFi, but all it would tell me was that there was no connection. I couldn't text, email, or call. I had called Virgin twice pre-trip to ask about service in the Baltic and don't understand why nobody alerted me to the fact that I would not be able to use my phone at all. I'm going to call Virgin and ask what the deal is, as I want to at least be able to receive emails if I go on another trip outside the country (plus Skype from my netbook!) However, in the mean time, I thought I'd ask the gurus on here for information. Thanks

There is no such thing as a Samsung iPhone. The only US iPhone model that will work in Europe is an iPhone4s. We were in Budapest and skyped there with minor connectivity problems.

I know this is a bit off-topic, but I cruise Oceania

quite a bit, and know that its passengers (at least the ones on Cruise Critic!) know a lot about a lot of things, so I thought I ask my questions here.

I recently tried to Skype from Europe, after getting WiFi from a museum. I could not connect and make a call. Is there anything special about Europe that changes how you Skype in Europe? (I was in Visby, Sweden, at the time - on the island of Gotland if it makes any difference. I was able to email from my netbook, just not Skype.)

Also, my Virgin Mobile service-enabled Samsung Iphone did not work in Europe. The concierge graciously called Virgin Mobile for me and I was told they use Sprint service, and it's only available in the U.S. I have a friend who used his phone in Paris with no trouble, at least for sending photos to Facebook, so I am a little confused as to what was different. He DID have a different iPhone than I had, but still a Samsung that he had purchased through Virgin. I was not able to make calls, and I understand that, but shouldn't I have at least been able to get WiFi? I checked the settings and did not have the phone set to airplane or no WiFi, but all it would tell me was that there was no connection. I couldn't text, email, or call. I had called Virgin twice pre-trip to ask about service in the Baltic and don't understand why nobody alerted me to the fact that I would not be able to use my phone at all. I'm going to call Virgin and ask what the deal is, as I want to at least be able to receive emails if I go on another trip outside the country (plus Skype from my netbook!) However, in the mean time, I thought I'd ask the gurus on here for information. Thanks

Hard to know for sure, but here are some possibilities regarding Skype:

Many free wi-fi setups block Skype and other programs that use a lot of bandwidth. Sometimes they tell you this, and sometimes they don't. At CDG's airport lounge, for example, free wi-fi, but you can't Skype. I tried anyway and the call went through, but the audio was unrecognizable.

What device were you using when you tried to connect with Skype? If you were using a wi-fi enabled mobile phone, I know that some carriers block Skype mobile (the phone app) from connecting through the wi-fi connection, because they want you to hook up to their 3G data connection to use it (and pay roaming fees when you're out of the country). For instance, I have Skype mobile on my Blackberry, but can't use it over wi-fi. It's fine to use here in the US when I'm on my 3G network with unlimited data, and I could call overseas with it. But I can't go to a coffee shop in Rome, hook up to their wi-fi, and call home with it...

Regarding your phone problem with wi-fi... It took me a while to figure this out, and it may be specific to Blackberry, but I'll share anyway in case it helps. I have my data settings set to be OFF when roaming. When set that way, if you're out of your coverage area, even if you hook up to wi-fi, the data will remain off and you can't get e-mail, internet, etc. What I have to do is convoluted - once hooked up to wi-fi, I turn the phone signal off, then turn the data on, and only then can I get data over the wi-fi. When I'm done with the wi-fi, I turn the data off again, disconnect from the wi-fi, and turn the phone signal on again. Let me emphasize that I have NO idea if this is anything like the iPhone, but it's how my Blackberry "works." :rolleyes:

Thank you both for the information. I'm assuming then, from what you have said that:

1. The reason I couldn't get phone service was that I didn't have a phone that could handle it.

2. The reason I couldn't Skype (using my netbook and WiFi) was that it was blocked.

And just to clarify, I was trying to use my netbook to Skype. I didn't even try the phone because it seemed totally unworkable.

So, given that, I guess that if I want to be able to use my phone for calls or data if I visit Europe again, I will have to either go to one of the "big guys" like ATT and also upgrade my phone. If not, I guess I need to break down and use Oceania's internet provider for data. (Do they block Skype? It's not a big deal if they do, but thought I'd ask.)

Thanks to both of you for your help.

So, given that, I guess that if I want to be able to use my phone for calls or data if I visit Europe again, I will have to either go to one of the "big guys" like ATT and also upgrade my phone. If not, I guess I need to break down and use Oceania's internet provider for data. (Do they block Skype? It's not a big deal if they do, but thought I'd ask.)

Or you could buy a cheap unlocked phone in Europe, for phone calls and texting only. 20 or 30 euros should do it just about anywhere for a basic phone.

For internet, any device that is wifi capable should be able to connect through a wifi hotspot. Even an iPod touch or some such device, or even your netbook. It is quite possible that Skype may be blocked by some networks, or that the connection speed may be too poor for it to work. One thing that helps Skype tremendously is a good headset, one which would filter out background noise.

I assume you have a Samsung smartphone (Galaxy S2).

Is your home provider Sprint??

Most sprint phones use CDMA and not GSM which is used in Europe.

The only Samsung phone that Sprint sells that works on GSM network is the Intrepid.

Gsm providers in the USA are AT&T and T Mobile. You have to be careful in buying phones from Sprint or Verizon if you want a "worldphone".

I presume you bought a Virgin Mobile Sim card and put it into the Sprint phone.

Doing this is a way of saving money. But many phones are locked (by AT&T, Sprint, Verizon) so they will not work unless you get your provider to unlock the phone before going overseas.

Thank you both for the information. I'm assuming then, from what you have said that:

1. The reason I couldn't get phone service was that I didn't have a phone that could handle it.

2. The reason I couldn't Skype (using my netbook and WiFi) was that it was blocked.

And just to clarify, I was trying to use my netbook to Skype. I didn't even try the phone because it seemed totally unworkable.

Thanks to both of you for your help.

On my cruise with Oceania Skype was NOT available on their computers. I have an IPhone and when in port whenever we were anywhere with wifi it worked perfectly and I downloaded the skype app and it also worked perfectly as long as I had a wifi signal. I have a Verizon phone so calls anywhere outside of the USA is out but my IPhone out performed my husband's Samsung Galaxy by a mile (getting a good wifi signal) Don't go to ATT to upgrade phone to make phone calls from overseas. They will charge you an arm and a leg. Get a pre-pay phone over there or try out the IPhone and download the skype app. (you need to set up an international skype account ahead of time for about $20 mo. month to month contract)

I can see that people are going to dance around this issue endlessly unless somebody tackles the giant elephant in the room, so I will bit the bullet.

In a Buffet Restaurant, we would all probably feel uncomfortable taking the ENTIRE Tray of Roast Beef back to the table with us, even if that restaurant had no specific rule against doing so.

Similarly, in a situation where a group is sharing a finite amount of Internet Capacity, such as no cost Wifi hotspots ashore, or on a cruise ship, it is not considered "nice" to use bandwidth gobbling applications like Skype or Ustream. Remember when being nice and considerate of others around you was seen as a virtue?

Unfortunately, the solitary nature of internet use seems to encourage selfish impulses, and the anonymity of going online takes away the social stigma of antisocial activity.

In effect, it usually isn't possible to see somebody bogarting bandwidth.

Therefore, in order to protect the greater interest of the majority, Bandwidth Managers often block such applications in order to protect the rest of us from the unkind, or the unthinking, few.

Archived