Identity Theft Info

PACURN

Here's some usefull info for all travelers out there.

Hotel Keys.....

Southern California law enforcement professionals assigned to detect new threats to personal security

issues, recently discovered what type of information is embedded in the credit card type hotel room keys

used throughout the industry.

Although room keys differ from hotel to hotel, a key obtained from the "Double Tree" chain that was

being used for a regional Identity Theft Presentation was found to contain the following the information -

* Customer's (your) name

* Customer's (your) partial home address

* Hotel room number

* Check in date and check out date

* Customer's (your) credit card number and expiration date!

When you turn them in to the front desk your personal information is there for any employee

to access by simply scanning the card in the hotel scanner.

An employee can take a hand full of cards home and using a scanning device, access the information

onto a laptop computer and go shopping at your expense. Simply put, hotels do not erase these cards

until an employee issues the card to the next hotel guest. It is usually kept in a drawer at the front desk

with YOUR INFORMATION ON IT!!!!

The bottom line is, keep the cards or destroy them! NEVER leave them behind and NEVER turn them in

to the front desk when you check out of a room. They will not charge you for the card.

Information courtesy of: Sergeant K. Jorge

Detective Sergeant

Pasadena Police Department

I'm a firm believer in taking what comes across the web as "fact" with a grain of salt. The hotel keycard story is one of those urban legends that have been making the rounds for some time.

Here's a couple of links that should make you feel better.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/hotelkey.asp

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/k/keycards.htm

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_hotel_keycards.htm

What to do with old hotel room keys/cards? I wonder if they can be used on the safe in the cabins? I guess I will need to book another cruise so I can go try it and find out.

I have been trying to find an excuse to book another cruise, and this sounds as good as any. :cool: LOL

I'd heard this before too. I always check snopes for everything that anyone sends me from a "friend" or an "authority". It's so easy to do and I've had to tell many people that what they're passing around is garbage. The "authority" cited in these emails either doesn't exist or their name is being used without their permission. The only info is what is needed to open your room (room # and checkout date) so that the key only works for your stay. Your cc# and addresss is stored in the hotel computer under your name and room number.

What to do with old hotel room keys/cards? I wonder if they can be used on the safe in the cabins? I guess I will need to book another cruise so I can go try it and find out.

I have been trying to find an excuse to book another cruise, and this sounds as good as any. :cool: LOL

We actually tried to use the hotel key cards from the night before our cruise for the safe on our last cruise. They didn't work. Feel free to book another cruise to test the theory, however.:D

Archived