Private boat rental?

dnewscruiser

I've been researching things to in St. Maarten, and the four adults in our party want to do something a little different, yet have it still involve water. The last time we were there, we did the America's Cup Regatta and enjoyed that. This time, I came across a company that rents private boats out for a half-day (11 ft. Boston Whalers) in Simpson Bay Lagoon, which sounds interesting to us. Has anyone done this and can they recommend it? Any concerns we should have with this kind of excursion?

I've been researching things to in St. Maarten, and the four adults in our party want to do something a little different, yet have it still involve water. The last time we were there, we did the America's Cup Regatta and enjoyed that. This time, I came across a company that rents private boats out for a half-day (11 ft. Boston Whalers) in Simpson Bay Lagoon, which sounds interesting to us. Has anyone done this and can they recommend it? Any concerns we should have with this kind of excursion?

An 11' boat is a bathtub.....you may want to check out this tour company if you are looking for something a bit different on the water....http://www.piratetourssxm.com/st-maarten-activities.php

I'll assume that you are referring to the Turtle Tours offering.

We've considered that in that past, as I think it's a great idea being able to just motor around the lagoon and see all the Mega-Yachts and such, the Villas on the hills above, etc. Perhaps even hit a few lagoon-side bars/restaurants.

Even the Half day should allow a visit over to the Marigot Marina side.

When we're on-island it's usually just the two of us, so that makes it just a bit pricey for the half day, but if we had a group of four we would definitely consider doing it, probably for the full day. Maybe next visit we'll do it anyway, a surprise for my wife.

gary

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Cruising around the lagoon is cool just to check out the yachts and scenery but I would not go swimming in it. Way to polluted.

oh really? yikes. I was imagining you could anchor and swim/snorkel a bit. We were debating this rental idea (there is also a sailboat rental option via another company) but if swimming is questionable, that's no good. I see they also rent a 16ft boston whaler that you can take outside of the bay to go snorkeling and go to the coastal beaches. That might be a better option. I'm glad I saw this thread!

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

We've reserved the 11' Boston Whaler for our cruise in early March. Would be happy to return and report. I understand they supply a map and there are beaches where you can "beach" the small boat if you want to get out and do some snorkeling. No, the boat is too small to dive off and climb back on. Yes, I believe there is an option for a larger vessel, but it's more expensive.

We're very excited about this trip. We both fish - not that I'm exactly an enthusiast - but my boyfriend is thrilled with the idea of fishing in the Caribbean. I know we can't KEEP anything, but being able to say we wet a line while in the Caribbean sounds impressive. They provide fishing gear and bait. We'll bring our own snorkel gear. We reserved the full day. We have a boat and we usually spend more than 3 hours at a time on the water. The half day didn't seem long enough. For $150, that's only $75 per person - which sounded like a GREAT deal to us!

Will provide a review upon my return!

oh really? yikes. I was imagining you could anchor and swim/snorkel a bit. We were debating this rental idea (there is also a sailboat rental option via another company) but if swimming is questionable, that's no good. I see they also rent a 16ft boston whaler that you can take outside of the bay to go snorkeling and go to the coastal beaches. That might be a better option. I'm glad I saw this thread!

If you want to go for a swim in the ocean you can cruise the lagoon and tie up at the port of Cupocoy and cross the street. I think that in 5 minutes or so you should get to the beach.