Question about data service charges

catrick

I read that RCCL has an advanced roaming network onboard all ships. I saw on some threads here that people got a big shock when they saw their data usage charges because they had connected to the roaming network on the ship. Will I have an option to not connect to the onboard network to avoid additional charges since I'll have my own international data package for my phone or will my phone automatically pick it up? I'll be sailing on the Allure.

With that being said, I have no intention of walking around with my phone attached to my hip, I'm on a cruise for goodness sake :-) But the other couple in our party are leaving behind 4 small children with the grandparents, and I'm the only one with an international data option for my phone, so they can check in via email a couple times.

data roaming might be very expensive - you can use wi-fi - and the problem is that you vannoy control the amount of incoming emails. I'll suggest that you use SMS text messages or buy a wi-fi packet and is checking mail - you can use the roaming when the ship is docking - but might also be expensive.

The cost for Wi-Fi access through your own laptop or mobile device is:

Base rate is $.65 per minute or choose from one of our prepaid packages:

$35 for 60 minutes

$55 for 100 minutes

$75 for 150 minutes

$100 for 250 minutes

$150 for 500 minutes

I read that RCCL has an advanced roaming network onboard all ships. I saw on some threads here that people got a big shock when they saw their data usage charges because they had connected to the roaming network on the ship. Will I have an option to not connect to the onboard network to avoid additional charges since I'll have my own international data package for my phone or will my phone automatically pick it up? I'll be sailing on the Allure.

With that being said, I have no intention of walking around with my phone attached to my hip, I'm on a cruise for goodness sake :-) But the other couple in our party are leaving behind 4 small children with the grandparents, and I'm the only one with an international data option for my phone, so they can check in via email a couple times.

You have to check with your carrier to be sure. I know for AT&T, there's no international data package that covers the data charges while at sea. I use my phone at sea occasionally for texting, and I always have data roaming off and get no data charges while at sea.

You don't need a phone that does "data". Have your friends carry a regular cell phone with international calling activated, no charge.

Have them check with their provider. As long as you have a signal you can text for around 50 cents out per text and around 5 cents in.

Our non-data cell phones work great on cruises.

If you have to make a call from the non-data phone it will be around 3.00 a minute, about a third of the ships phone cost.

Archived